how to change my mysql from 5 to 4...

i have a dedicated server, (free hosting company) that most of my clients use free forums that arent compatible for mysql5 so i need the latest version of mysql4
    can i just install mysql 4 too?
    how do i switch versions?

anyone have the same problems with mysql 5?

If the forums aren't compatible with MySQL 5 I don't think people should be using them. I cannot think of any commercial for free forum software that doesn't work with MySQL 5.

I cannot think of any commercial for free forum software that doesn't work with MySQL 5.
    ofcourse there is..
    my clients use IPB 1.4

what would the downgrade to mysql 4 cause
    do you not recommend it?
    how do i do it via ssh?

Why would someone use that though? Its so insecure, I mean IP Board 2.3.4 is out now.

If it was me I would tell them to run updated software.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    Why would someone use that though? Its so insecure, I mean IP Board 2.3.4 is out now.

If it was me I would tell them to run updated software.

The problem is to make the clients understand this. If he is a tech one, then it does not take much time. Imagine someone who does not know.

Well its not like he has paying clients, he says he does free hosting. He just needs to tell the people to run updated software or their sites won't work. Its rather simple.

I think the point is that 1.4 is free, 2.3.4 costs money which they dont have.

Are you running cPanel and have full access to WHM? If so run Apache update under software in the menu. Adn select a version of 4 (the highest of whatever 4.x.x is there)

Mmmmm.... IPB 1.4 never existed. The latest of the 1.x branch is 1.3.1 is memory serves correct. Still insanely old and insecure though. The reason that he uses it is because it was the last version of IPB to have a license making it free, 2.0 and onwards is pay-only software.

There are many free updated boards 5x as good as IPB 1.3

hi, Its a dedicated server with Directadmin panel,
    The reason my clients use it obviously is because its free
    and because i want as much possible clients i am thinking about "downgraiding" to mysql 4..
    is it a wrong deccission? what are the consequences?
    and how do i do it?

Consequences,

You will have an insecure server with people running insecure scripts, more problems for you, none of your client is going to praise all over for your free offering, but once they have a hacked account they will spread the word like fire bashing you on every forum and places.

If today your client is unable to understand that he/she is running an insecure script, tomorrow they will hold you responsible for any thing that goes wrong.

If your clients want every thing free, why not tell them to use latest updated & secured scripts, advice them, guide them and educate them, in the end you will have quality clients who understand how things work.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I'd stick with MySQL 5. Just tell the "clients" to they have to run scripts that support it.

They aren't paying you, and I don't know the specifics of your business, but in general if someone isn't paying for a service that can't get too picky about what it offers.

If they absolutely need MySQL 4, maybe get a small VPS, install MySQL 4, and let your MySQL 4 people run on that.

If it were me though I'd just tell 'em to run better scripts, which support MySQL 5.

Quote Originally Posted by vinsar View Post
    Consequences,

You will have an insecure server with people running insecure scripts, more problems for you, none of your client is going to praise all over for your free offering, but once they have a hacked account they will spread the word like fire bashing you on every forum and places.

If today your client is unable to understand that he/she is running an insecure script, tomorrow they will hold you responsible for any thing that goes wrong.

If your clients want every thing free, why not tell them to use latest updated & secured scripts, advice them, guide them and educate them, in the end you will have quality clients who understand how things work.
    i know ipb 1.x is hackable but that is what alot of people want.. so please tell me 2 things:
    1. i can install mysql4 and mysql5 together? (then it will work..)
    2. if not.. how can i install the lestest version of mysql4?

I have not used DA so can't say how to do it, if you are so desperate better check at DA forums.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by vinsar View Post
    I have not used DA so can't say how to do it, if you are so desperate better check at DA forums.
    If he's that desperate, than he needs to pay someone to administrate his server, because obviously he doesn't know what he's doing.

Besides, for the most part, MySQL 5 is backwards compatible. Note that I said for the most part...
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    If he's that desperate, than he needs to pay someone to administrate his server, because obviously he doesn't know what he's doing.

Besides, for the most part, MySQL 5 is backwards compatible. Note that I said for the most part...
    For the most part, indeed. But IPB 1.3 is *not* compatible with MySQL 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - N1H View Post
    For the most part, indeed. But IPB 1.3 is *not* compatible with MySQL 5.
    You would know more about IPB than me, what are the particular reasons it's not compatible?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    You would know more about IPB than me, what are the particular reasons it's not compatible?
    IPB 1.x was developed before MySQL 5 even entered beta I believe. There are no specific reasons, it just that there are certain incompatibilities between the old IPB 1.x branch and MySQL that the developers never bothered to fix as they had EOL'ed 1.x long before MySQL 5 existed. There is, however, a third party mod that claims to make 1.3.1 work with MySQL 5. Whether or not it works, I can not say, but it's worth a shot if you are dead set on having 1.3.1 with MySQL 5.

(Why not just use phpbb 3 or something? Free and secure!)