Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    48

    (not a request for hosting but an inquiry/question)

    (not a request for hosting but an inquiry/question)

    Are there any reliable VPN providers with SSL out there with affordable/low rates with locations in USA, Sweden, Holland? Need idea of best price range for most providers. I found some but differ so much and I need an opinion too. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    3,342
    If you mean with free SSL and low rates (what do you think is a low rate?) then I have no idea. Some providers give you an SSL (like rapidSSL) for you to use but I don't know of any that have locations in Sweden/Holland. Have you searched the offers forum?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    With a VPS, you can do whatever you like with it. You can install your own VPN and SSL on it...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,077
    When looking for a VPS for VPN use be sure you ask the provider beforehand if they support the required Tun/Tap modules. Generally all Xen hosting providers have this functionality by default, on OpenVZ/Virtuozzo it would need to be enabled manually (in most circumstances).

  5. #5
    I think he means VPS but I am not sure. I don't know of any company offering VPN services... seems awkward.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76
    Think thats SSL-VPN [the SSL would make it non-VPS]

    Check out relakks.se for Sweden - I remember reading about them a year ago or so.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    323
    I have used Relakks in the past, it costs €6 a month or so, less if you take up a subscription for a year.

    They use PPTP technology but I guess that counts as a VPN too, in one month I only had 20 minutes downtime once, so I guess it is reasonable.

    You may also want to look into Steganos VPN, their VPN is based in Germany.
    https://www.steganos.com/us/products...-vpn/overview/

    And findnot in the US:
    http://www.findnot.com/

    If you look at the prices, they are pretty much the same. Connexions are all encrypted of course, so it has the SSL you are asking for.

    I dont know what you need it for, but if it is strong privacy demands, you cant probably get better than Jondos http://www.jondos.de/en they use three proxyservers chained all in different countries and their pricing goes according to the amount of downloaded data.
    Last edited by zobe; 03-17-2008 at 05:23 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    323
    I could not edit my post (passed 15min)

    Here goes another VPN provider, I researched this well, and you will not find anything cheaper, $3.95 month http://www.vforvpn.com/

    They are good, I have used them too, great customer service and uptime, but if you need heavy privacy, I still reccomend Jondos.de, a single proxy is not enough for paranoia.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
    I could not edit my post (passed 15min)

    Here goes another VPN provider, I researched this well, and you will not find anything cheaper, $3.95 month http://www.vforvpn.com/

    They are good, I have used them too, great customer service and uptime, but if you need heavy privacy, I still reccomend Jondos.de, a single proxy is not enough for paranoia.
    Just curious, in your VPN usage, how much might you normally transfer in a month?

    (using this to understand your reviews better)

    Thanks,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    323
    I run bit torrents through vforvpn so I transfer around 30GB a month in average, the same goes for Relakks, these are the only two I have used from the list. I switched from Relakks because they do not offer OpenVPN, only PPTP.
    Last edited by zobe; 03-18-2008 at 01:50 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
    I run bit torrents through vforvpn so I transfer around 30GB a month in average, the same goes for Relakks, these are the only two I have used from the list. I switched from Relakks because they do not offer OpenVPN, only PPTP.
    Right, thats what I thought [what you used it for/amounts transferred]. May I ask what kind of speeds you get though? Max/Average?

    Thank You,

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    323
    My internet connexion at home is 1MB (theoric), 800Kb down and 250Kb up, when I do speed tests.

    So far I have noticed no speed decrease, if it wasn't because I know all goes through the VPN, I would not even notice.I am quite happy with them really.

    But I have not tested the speed I have with the VPN and compared it with the speed without the VPN, I guess I just dont care that much, it may take a little longer to download the movie, thats all. All I care about is that I can surf normally while I download.

    Since we are at it, they claim not to keep any logs, but this is something I do not believe because otherwise when serious abuse happens they will not know what to do and their IP will be blacklisted, would you agree with me that it is impossible to run a VPN service with no logs?
    Last edited by zobe; 03-18-2008 at 09:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
    My internet connexion at home is 1MB (theoric), 800Kb down and 250Kb up, when I do speed tests.

    So far I have noticed no speed decrease, if it wasn't because I know all goes through the VPN, I would not even notice.I am quite happy with them really.

    But I have not tested the speed I have with the VPN and compared it with the speed without the VPN, I guess I just dont care that much, it may take a little longer to download the movie, thats all. All I care about is that I can surf normally while I download.
    Thanks for the information I'm assuming that you mean 1Mbit; 800Kbit/sec; 250Kbit/sec here. At 30GB of downloads per month, thats about 30G/330G [for 1Mbit used 24x7] = 9% of the time in use downloading - i.e. maybe 2 to 3 hours per day average.

    Since we are at it, they claim not to keep any logs, but this is something I do not believe because otherwise when serious abuse happens they will not know what to do and their IP will be blacklisted, would you agree with me that it is impossible to run a VPN service with no logs?
    It depends on two things....

    1. The location they host their services in [or locations]. Each location has specific guidelines with respect to logs - e.g. the EU data retention directive which is due to take effect soon.

    2. Their appetite for risk. Many services of this kind are run by people who aren't interested in building a very big/established business, so they're more likely to take the risk of just not-logging and letting the authorities know if they have an issue.

    Yes, it is possible to run such a service without logs. Indefinitely? I don't think so. They may also choose to log selectively ...i.e. if they receive a complaint, then retain those logs. Note that for debugging/tech purposes, they have to log [assuming they are competent] ...it is just that those logs are not retained for even a day, hence they claim no logging.

    The bigger risks are legal risks (not P2P) so it should not affect you even if they do keep logs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •