Question cPanel in OpenVZ

I have a friend who is thinking about running openvz but is concerned that cPanel will work in a VPS. Is there a special version of cPanel for VPS and does it work the same?
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mperkel View Post
    I have a friend who is thinking about running openvz but is concerned that cPanel will work in a VPS. Is there a special version of cPanel for VPS and does it work the same?
    cPanel will work fine in a VPS environment as long as the VPS has at least 512MB of guaranteed RAM. It is possible to run it in a smaller VPS but services such as SpamAssassin would need to be disabled. There is no special version as such, but a special VPS licence can be obtained which is normally around $10-20.

Quote Originally Posted by mperkel View Post
    I am running cPanel in a openvz. Everything is working perfectly fine here
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Uke-kun View Post
    cPanel will work fine in a VPS environment as long as the VPS has at least 512MB of guaranteed RAM. It is possible to run it in a smaller VPS but services such as SpamAssassin would need to be disabled. There is no special version as such, but a special VPS licence can be obtained which is normally around $10-20.
    The minimum ram for cPanel is 256mb to run stable on, so don't be scared to get a 256mb vps.

Although yes, it can be done with cheaper the price.

Did you have to get a special version of cPanel? Were there any weird tricks to making it work?
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    [email protected]

cPanel will auto detect everything and install whatever is necessary. The same goes with the license Don't ever dream of using a cheaper VPS license on a dedicated server, it simply wont work

Also, one thing you need to be concerned about OpenVZ is the quota issue. Its a pain when you come across it. Everything in the VPS will be shown as unlimited space even though you limit it. Contact your provider if this happens and they should be able to fix it for you!