Linking to other web sites

I'm starting a web design web site and would like to add some quality links to interesting "stuff" to keep my visitors and to increase my content which _really_ needs to be padded at the moment. I just have a few questions hopefully the grizzled veterans here can help me out.
    I am under the assumption that I don't need permission from the sites I would be linking to, but I have also heard differently in some cases. What is your opinion on this?

Also, can I get some advice on what interesting web sites I can have links too? I want them to be relevant to "things web", but I'm open to other subjects.

Thanks!

As far as I know you can add links that lead to any site without requesting that site's permission.
    The only case when you will need a permission from them is when you are copying (completely or particially) the site's content -- text or graphic. In this case it would be better to familirize yourself with the terms of the specific site (in many situations all that is required is a reference to the source).

You do not need permission to link to the site. But its nice to let the site now you are linking to them.

Also, don't hotlink to other sites' content, that is in really bad taste.

I have seen one or two sites that discourage linking to them but for most sites you can just link to them, no permission needed.

BMR777

Quote Originally Posted by BMR777 View Post
    Also, don't hotlink to other sites' content, that is in really bad taste.
    Very important point.

Don't link to site which your visitors won't be interested of.
    Try to avoid sites which can be your competitior in some way.

Better is link exchange with sites and write good contents which will always lead good visitors to your site.