Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675

    Tornados Hit Downtown Atlanta, GA

    See any major news site for details, especially http://www.cnn.com - as their building got hit, it seems.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    762
    Well, at least gnax is still up

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Give it a day and that link might aswell point to www.google.com (ie the story will fade away from the main page).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    363
    I suppose it was only a matter of time before a tornado hit a major city like this...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    Give it a day and that link might aswell point to www.google.com (ie the story will fade away from the main page).
    You are right... cause right now that is not a picture of the hurricane, that is a picture of a crane that fell on some apartments in NYC.

    Wow...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,861
    I live in Florida near the beach and a couple of years ago I saw several tornadoes (at least 2 or 3) of them at the same time in a cluster. They were twirling above the ocean water not even a mile from the shore.

    Tons of people on the beach were running away to get off the beach asap. Not sure why... those tornadoes never even made it to land and seemed harmless even though they actually looked quite big. But this scary looking homeless guy tried to open my car door while I was DRIVING to jump inside (I guess to hide)... that scared me more than any tornado!!

    I always drive with my car doors locked now.
    Last edited by Frosty; 03-15-2008 at 11:54 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Smiths Falls, ON
    Posts
    772
    Doesn't surprise me anymore.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Your Screen
    Posts
    3,998
    Best I've been able to piece together, the funnel ran a track about 1.5 miles away from AtlantaNAP. I'm assuming there wasn't any damage there?

    However, it was pretty much across the street from 56 Marietta/TEL-X. Ewwwwwww. Any damage reports?

    Hope everyone is okay. What a cluster (sorry, bad pun).

    Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I live in Florida near the beach and a couple of years ago I saw several tornadoes (at least 2 or 3) of them at the same time in a cluster. They were twirling above the ocean water not even a mile from the shore.

    Tons of people on the beach were running away to get off the beach asap. Not sure why... those tornadoes never even made it to land and seemed harmless even though they actually looked quite big. But this scary looking homeless guy tried to open my car door while I was DRIVING to jump inside (I guess to hide)... that scared me more than any tornado!!

    I always drive with my car doors locked now.
    Wow you must've been really freaked out by that homeless guy. I know I would've been.

    We all know this would eventually happen due to global warming. If only we learned earlier and started conserving instead of trying to conserve now when it's already too late to reverse the whole process. The only thing we can really do now about global warming to slow down the process but I don't think there's a way to stop it now.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    Wow you must've been really freaked out by that homeless guy. I know I would've been.

    We all know this would eventually happen due to global warming. If only we learned earlier and started conserving instead of trying to conserve now when it's already too late to reverse the whole process. The only thing we can really do now about global warming to slow down the process but I don't think there's a way to stop it now.
    Global warming is causing homeless guys to attempt to jump into people's cars? Wow, that is a new one on me.

    Multiple tornadoes been around for a while... a long while....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Your Screen
    Posts
    3,998
    Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Global warming is causing homeless guys to attempt to jump into people's cars? Wow, that is a new one on me.
    I was just biting my tongue, but you said it better than me. I'm a dye-in-the-wool environmentalist myself, I was studying global warming 15 years ago, before mainstream anybody had ever heard of it ... but as for global warming causing hurricanes, or tornadoes, in moisture- and heat-laden areas? Nope, sorry. Hurricanes and 'naders have been around forever. It's just a matter of luck that more don't hit major cities.

    (Anybody remember Oklahoma City?)

    Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Best I've been able to piece together, the funnel ran a track about 1.5 miles away from AtlantaNAP. I'm assuming there wasn't any damage there?

    However, it was pretty much across the street from 56 Marietta/TEL-X. Ewwwwwww. Any damage reports?

    Hope everyone is okay. What a cluster (sorry, bad pun).

    Bailey

    I talked to Ryan last night and all is well with our servers.

    Oh...and he's okay too.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  13. #13
    Atlanta NAP is fine. Did not even get a power blip from the grid. Just a lot of rain .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Best I've been able to piece together, the funnel ran a track about 1.5 miles away from AtlantaNAP. I'm assuming there wasn't any damage there?

    However, it was pretty much across the street from 56 Marietta/TEL-X. Ewwwwwww. Any damage reports?

    Hope everyone is okay. What a cluster (sorry, bad pun).

    Bailey
    no it really was a cluster the ten mile back up along i75north all night leading from just past the paramiter all the way to the wade green rd exit. could have been dramatically worse if these had landed a little more northern.
    glad i took 1285 that night instead of going through town

  15. #15
    Both Ryan and Jordan were on site during the entire storm as well as quite a few of out of town customers.

    A few of the AtlantaNAP's local customers came to the facility to weather out the storm, and we had a few who's house got damaged.

    We felt pretty safe inside the AtlantaNAP - that building is like a bunker

    We ate pizza, talked about everything from firewalls to visualization technology in the conference room/kitchen.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Your Screen
    Posts
    3,998
    I'm glad everyone's okay ........ I did a lot of reading on the various weather forums, dug through the NWS website, watched a ton of video last night ...... there are many people who were very blessed that night. Not the least of which were all the folks @ the basketball games!! What do you do with 17,000 spectators in 12 minutes' time, with a funnel barreling down on them? Send them running out into open parking lots? (I think not...) Hold your breath and cross your fingers, pretty much... and that's what they did, and this time it worked out okay. But imagine if the funnel had been stronger, or hit the dome directly/in such a way that it would have caused damage? I wonder if that roof can withstand cars being hurtled through it??? ...... scary stuff, but it very much could have been a reality if the circumstances had been just a smidge different.

    I am so, so grateful everyone is alright. I also have friends and business associates in western South Carolina whom were getting pummeled last night. It's been a long spring already, and wait! it's not even spring yet .........

    Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    237
    A little late posting, but I just ran across this... yeah, I was there during the storm and everything was fine inside the AtlantaNAP. I didn't even know something was going on until my grandmother called and asked if I was okay -- haha. I went outside and it looked weird and... going back the next morning I saw some damage downtown. Kinda scary, really... but I felt extremely safe inside the AtlantaNAP (as did our servers).

    -Chris

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,419
    this happened before not too long ago in dallas / ft. worth texas - remember this: ?

    http://www.dallassky.com/fwtornado.htm 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DFZ42iSwE 2007

    its not that uncommon that they hit or come near major cities - especially along tornado alley - kansas - oklahoma - north texas etc.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,675
    Unfortunately, for areas such as Tornado alley and even here in GA and SC, it's just a matter of time before a Tornado hits the wrong spot and affects a high concentration population area. The same system literally ripped through a small town about 10-15 minutes south of where I live. Thankfully, no lives were lost but there was some major damage here in SC in terms of tornados.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •