Possible Server Change

I'm currently paying for a dedicated server for $120 a month. My income is starting to get on the low side, and I don't think I'll be able to afford that much longer. The main thing I'm wondering, is that with the my current server specs, do I really need a dedicated server?

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.00GHz (128kb cache)
    RAM: 1GB (not sure what the speed is, but it's probably low)
    Disk Space: 2x20GB
    Transfer Last Month: 753GB

The cpu is on the slow side to say the least, but I don't have any real limitations from it (though I would prefer a little faster). The ram used to be a problem at 512MB, but then I upgraded to 1GB and it's been fine. The disk space is a problem; there's just not enough. My site is a gaming community and operates around a forum (IPB) that has about 213,000 members (around 5% active) and around 360,000 posts, with a high of 300 online at once; nothing groundbreaking. Given this, would I be able to get by on a shared hosting plan (probably reseller)? If so, what's a good one to go with?

Judging by the amount of transfer, you will probably have problems using a shared hosting plan. Try getting some revenue from ads or donations to keep using your dedicated.

I could probably give you some advice, I had the same problem several months ago. If you would like contact me from one of the messengers listed in my profile. Mine was a forum as well.
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-

You may be able to use a VPS, but I would try and put ads on your site to make some extra money, as cristibighea said.

I've been running Google Adsense for a few years now. I used to have good amounts coming in, but lately the revenue just hasn't been coming in.

A VPS may be your option, as a decent VPS will perform better than your current Dedicated Server, your looking around the $60 price band to get your self 756MB/1GB Dedicated Ram.

Good Luck.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by The1Hoster View Post
    I could probably give you some advice, I had the same problem several months ago. If you would like contact me from one of the messengers listed in my profile. Mine was a forum as well.
    If you have advice, we would like to see it in a post
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

For $79, you can get a much better deal at Pacificrack. I recommend you check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    If you have advice, we would like to see it in a post
    I Figured that would raise some suspicion.

At the time i got a vps, but I didn't want to advertise the company "why i said to contact me privately" , but they offered 1gb dedicated memory. With Unmetered bandwidth. 80 gb of space. Then I offered a 468x60 ad on the bottom and 760x90 ad banner at thetop and set them on a rotation. You can make more money off advertising spots than you can with goodle sometimes. This site has a place where you can offer advertising as well as alot of other forums. Especially if your forum has that many members that are active. I also was wanting him to contact me cause I wanted to see this forum.

Or, on the freehostingtalk site someone might be willing to host you for free if you advertise for them.
    Last edited by B r a n d o n; 03-15-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add info.
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-