Custom Hosting Packages?

I'm looking to get into designing sites in my free time as a hobby. I'm currently looking to start a Zen Cart site based around a business design idea. Currently the only hosting plans I see are ones that cost $3-10 monthly for as much as 2-350GB which is way more than I would need in a lifetime. Same goes for bandwidth too.

I just don't see myself paying that much for something I don't need, and I know thats what the hosting company's want.

I need simple hosting features.
    Maybe 100MB disk space
    2GB bandwidth so I can show off my work to others, change stuff frequently...etc
    At least 2-3 MySQL db's with php support for Zen Cart
    A couple email accounts so I'll have a static email not based off my ISP.
    Cheap domain would be nice, ($10 a year)but not necessary.
    Of course uptime and speed is a must, when I get a idea or vision for change, I need to act on it then.

Does anyone know of any offerings like this for a decent price? I'm looking for yearly pricing as it seems cheaper in the long run. While some might say "Hey, its there if you need it." Well I won't need it and I don't want cheap prices for cheap service.

The only major hosting company I see around that compares to my list of needs is Steadfast.net. 100MB/4GB/unlimited everything else for $25 a year. However, their site scares my as far as design goes, looks like a 12 year old made it. Reminds me of Geocities web sites from back in the day.

I think 100MB might not be enough these days considering the longterm storage of stats-logs along if you decide to use IMAP or webmail to store your emails. I'd do something atleast 1GB plan.

Custom hosting isn't popular but I'd suggest checking out the Offers forum. You will sure find a deal within your budget.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

For 1year plan , you will find some hosts offer free domain included.

Good point, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I would need more storage for email and the such.

Do you have a Control Panel in mind? You are correct with those requirements there is no need to go to a host that over-sells. Check out the offers section i'm sure you will find what your looking for.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Take a look at MediaLayer. Their lowest plan ($10/m) fits your requirements perfectly and custom plans are available as well.

Doesn't really matter, I've used cPanel before so thats fine.

Also TMZ had really good pricing, but didn't mention domain registering.

Quote Originally Posted by drew490 View Post
    Doesn't really matter, I've used cPanel before so thats fine.

Also TMZ had really good pricing, but didn't mention domain registering.
    Hey drew sorry we don't offer domain registration. You could easily get a domain from http://www.namecheap.com (Recommended) .

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

There are many hosts that will provide what you need, as a designer you can often set yourself up as an affiliate with a host so not only will your you client get a good hosting provider, but you will get paid for placing that client with that host. Just a thought.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

The only major hosting company I see around that compares to my list of needs is Steadfast.net. 100MB/4GB/unlimited everything else for $25 a year. However, their site scares my as far as design goes, looks like a 12 year old made it. Reminds me of Geocities web sites from back in the day.
    We have received extremely good reviews of our web site design, including it being said by several on this forum that it was a design they based some of the layout of their site off of and/or that they thought it was one of the better web host web sites, etc. What is it that you don't like about the site? I'm especially concerned about what you feel is "amateur" about the site, as that is definitely not the idea the design was meant to convey. I am always open to ideas and criticism, without it, we're not going to get any better.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Maybe we're looking at different steadfast.net websites, but I've found their site to be one of the cleaner designs, and quite easy to navigate.

Let's just say my opinion differs very much from yours, but either way, you should probably focus more on the service than the website design. Those 12 year-old kids of the Geocities days have been replaced with 12 year-old kids today selling (reselling) web hosting. And, they don't bother designing anything... They just buy (or pirate in some cases) website templates, which in some cases can give them a more professional look - at least to the masses.

I don't think Steadfast Networks will win any awards for their website, but I don't have a problem with it, and as a current customer of Steadfast, I also don't have a problem with their service.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Sorry KarlZimmer for not clarifying myself. The main parts I dislike about the site is the order part. Right after I click "Buy Now!" I'm presented with a pop up window with mostly text which offers nothing to users. Also, its not very firefox friendly. Thats just my opinion though. Although steadfast.net does offer competitive prices, it just strikes me as odd for some reason...no clue why.

I recently signed up with tmdhosting.com. They are relatively new but suit all my needs. I think, you will find what you need too. The space and bandwidth are much more than what you need but the price is good, so you can just have a spare web space that you can use someday. Also they provide free domain name, unlimited free MySQL databases, email accounts and of course they support ZenCart. Hope it will help you out.

Sorry KarlZimmer for not clarifying myself. The main parts I dislike about the site is the order part. Right after I click "Buy Now!" I'm presented with a pop up window with mostly text which offers nothing to users. Also, its not very firefox friendly. Thats just my opinion though. Although steadfast.net does offer competitive prices, it just strikes me as odd for some reason...no clue why.
    OK, so the issues are only with the ordering? That is the standard H-Sphere ordering process, we have been meaning to get something new done using the ordering API instead, but we never have the time. Also, the site as a whole is XHTML 1.1 compliant and should thus work perfectly fine in Firefox. Also, that is pretty much what all our staff uses as well and we haven't noted any issues. Though again, if it is just with the shared hosting ordering, then that is understandable.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Thanks for the heads up shock78. I'll keep that in mind.