Need to find someone reselling with hostgator

I need a very small favor from someone reselling with hostgator and using WHM / Cpanel...

maybe if you just state what favour you need and people may be able to reply here
    Roi

It's unlikely that you will get a response from anybody especially since you don't state what your favor is. Most companies that resell do not want it known that they resell or for who they resell, hence private nameservers.

List your favor and you may get a response.

Good luck!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

You should be able to find some resellers posting in their support forums. Establish contact. One of them might be willing to assist you.

Actually, I just need to find a URL for a site hosted on hostgator to see what the FTP server returns to a browser. I'm considering them as a host. My current host and I have a disagreement over what the FTP server should return.

I don't need actual access, I prefer a domain that does not allow anonymous FTP, I just need to see what the server returns to an anonymous access request.

Hostgator allows anonymous FTP to a /public_ftp/ folder within your hosting, if you put nothing there, then there will be nothing available.

I think what the OP is asking is what ftp message appears?

If so a normal pure-ftp (ftp.domain.tld):

I guess if you have your own IP you can have anonymous FTP with your domain but the user FTP also displays your domain.

Are you talking about the FTP welcome message?

Here's the grimy detail. (It's simple to test, but harder to explain, which is why I was looking for a site to "hit" once and just test it). If you can make your way through all the detail, I have some questions at the bottom.

My host provides reseller WHM/Cpanel which allegedly provides anonymous FTP (if turned on) or password protected FTP.

However, If you do turn on anonymous FTP in Cpanel, or setup password protected FTP in Cpanel, there's odd behavior when you attempt to connect with a bare ftp URL from a browser e.g. ftp://ftp.domain.tld or ftp://ftp.domain.tld/some_directory. You don't get the traditional list of files or direct prompt for a username/password, even if the specific directory has an FTP username and password associated with it.

In ALL cases it fails/ The host claims this is because they do not allow server-wide anonymous (FTP) access and that the browser is initially attempting it. Note that the browser does not prompt for a username/password even if it's a specific directory that allows FTP, but is password restricted, because of this issue.

MSIE 6 displays a windows pop-up with a "unable to access this folder... the FTP situation was terminated". In MSIE 7 with the default dummy messages on, you get the dummy oriented "unable to connect to site" in the browser. In Firefox, you just get a hang until you "stop".

(After failure) In MSIE 6, you can then login but only by choosing "Login As" from the File menu, noting that you must login with a username/password as "[email protected]" to get in anonymously. In MSIE 7 it gets worse, you have to choose View -> Open FTP in Explorer, then it fails again like IE6, then you choose View -> Login As in that Explorer window. As far as I can see, You can never login this way with Firefox because it never fails (just hangs).

The only way around this (with MSIE) is to use an FTP URL that includes a username in the URL, e.g. ftp:[email protected]. Then the MSIE browsers will prompt for a username & password. and you can log in. You can accomplish anonymous or password login at this point. MSIE allows [email protected] as the user name and a blank password so that will work or you can use a private user/pass.

In, Firefox, using a ftp:[email protected] works in a limited way. Firefox only allows changing of the password, so you can't log in anonymously at all (there is no way to get the anonymous user name into the stream... if you use it in the URL level it hangs/fails trying to connect, and if you don't use a username it hangs/fails trying to connect, and you can't change the username if you use some other username, so you are stuck). So, there's no anonymous access in Firefox at all. You can log in with a password if you use a username in the URL as it will prompt for the password.

These are the only browsers I've tested: I'm sure it's equally as interesting in others. This all makes anonymous FTP difficult (MSIE 6/7) or impossible (Firefox) and user based login more difficult. Also, if I want to set up a link from a web page to the FTP-able directory, I'd have to incorporate an actual username into the link on the web page. That seems like a very bad idea security wise - hackers are down to just guessing the password.

In my experience, plenty of other hosts allow true anonymous access that works in any browser. Also, access to a restircted (password FTP) directory results in an immediate prompt for username/password without difficulty. My host claims that to cure the problem they'd have to turn on
    "server wide anonymous FTP" and that this is too much of a security risk. They also inferred that this was somehow Cpanel related.

I don't have enough background in Linux security or Cpanel innards to judge their position. So, thoughts and opinions on this would be welcome.
    Last edited by Webicon; 03-16-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Oki... I happen to have a HG reseller account where I for instance have TheHostingFinder.com hosted at this time.

Hope this helps.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

You can only have anonymous FTP with WHM/cPanel if you have a dedicated IP. If you do not have a dedicated IP then you just get a dummy folder on the server if you connect anonymously.

As a hostgator shared user,

C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ>ftp xyz.com
    Connected to xyz.com.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
    220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 18:17. Server port: 21.
    220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity
    User (xyz.com: (none)): anonymous
    230 Anonymous user logged in
    ftp> ls
    200 PORT command successful
    150 Connecting to port 11727
    pub
    226-Options: -a
    226 3 matches total
    ftp: 12 bytes received in 0.02Seconds 0.75Kbytes/sec.
    ftp>
    If you want help debugging the issue with your current host and FireFox / IE feel free to send me a PM - its an interesting little problem.

Edit: Took a relook at your question "if a directory is password protected, then it should be able to popup a prompt".

That is true only if anonymous access takes you to the ftproot under which those protected directories reside. It is quite possible to point anonymous user and regular users to different ftproots and mess things up.
    Last edited by ZeroPing; 03-16-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma View Post
    Oki... I happen to have a HG reseller account where I for instance have TheHostingFinder.com hosted at this time.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. From my testing, I assume you have anonymous FTP enabled?

Thanks. From my testing, I assume you have anonymous FTP enabled?
    Yes... it seems I do
    -- It was enabled by default and I haven't touched it, actually.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic