Can anyone recommend good, cheap shared hosting?

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can recommend a hosting company that provides good, cheap shared hosting?

My website space requirements are quite small - the whole site directory shouldn't take up more than 10mb and so data transfer needs would not be that high (certainly the 5-20GB that most hosting companies offer would do very fine!). I'm looking to spend around between $3 and $5 per month so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good host for this price - what I am looking for ultimately is good customer service if needed, good speed, good uptime, and no (or minimum!) hassle.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

There are *many* hosts that will do what you need. Check out the shared hosting offers section.

Here is a link for your convenience:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Hi,

I am currently looking at that section, however, what I am after is ultimately reviews by people who use these hosts so I can know which ones are trustworthy/reliable and which are not because it's quite hard to tell otherwise

Thx

Run a search for the company you are looking at going with, like for hostgator it would be a search for "hostgator review" (without quotes).

There are a lot of reviews here. You could probably even just search for review. Other than that, pick a few that look good to you and then research them, contact them via live chat if they have it, call them and/or e-mail them and see how friendly/responsive they are. Ask about their services and servers and datacenter etc...

Oh... and probably the most important thing - make sure to read their Terms of Service carefully.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

If you have only one domain - go for Totalchoicehosting starter plan: 1400 megs storage, 40 gB transfer and that's for 44$ yearly.

Can you give us your domain name in Totalchoicehosting to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    If you have only one domain - go for Totalchoicehosting starter plan: 1400 megs storage, 40 gB transfer and that's for 44$ yearly.

Oh, one more piece of advice... Unless it's a very reputable company (such as Hostgator) stay away from the major oversellers, if you see more than 2~10gb+ storage and 5~30gb+ bandwidth for under $5/month you should *probably* move on.

Do you have a control panel in mind? Many hosting companies can offer what your looking for. It would be better going with a smaller host than an over seller since your requirements are very small.

- Daniel

Well. choose up to find web hosts and send an email to their support. You'll see their response time. As I always say "don;t go with overselling hosts"... especially when you have a small website wich does not require plenty of disc space and bandwidth.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

check out precision effect. they have a plan that is $5.95 (close enough to your budget, i suppose) and would be a good fit.

two other companies to check out would be wirenine and knownhost.

i have used all 3 and have been happy with them. you will find reviews for all of these companies here in the forums.

What kind of scripting language are you planning on using? If at all?
    Last edited by BKerry; 03-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Hosted with ReliableSite.Net.

Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    Well. choose up to find web hosts and send an email to their support. You'll see their response time. As I always say "don;t go with overselling hosts"... especially when you have a small website wich does not require plenty of disc space and bandwidth.
    Hi
    I think almost all the company has been providing overselling.
    especially the companies who has more reputation and more web hosting business. If you make an analysis,you can see that overselling is a business as well as new method of hosting.
    when we think as a customer we have not been get much benefit.
    I would suggest you to have a look at the companies who are newly launched in web hosting Industry. I have seen most of the newly launched companies offer good and reliable support and most of the cases they have proved it. Because they have a lively young technical support team as well sales support team.

I have seen a lot of advertisements and reviews about companies which sometimes are not realistic. I have been a customer of Hostway since long time and now they're telling me that your database is bigger than 50MB and that's a lot for a shared host so you have to upgrade to a dedicated server!! That's another way of making business. I'm totally disappointed and looking for another company which has realistic plans + good uptime + comfortable SSH support + fast technical support.

I have been a customer of resellerzoom as well but they're too restrict about using SSH and running cron jobs which I didn't like as well.

Anything other than hostgator, dreamhost and things like these??