Server shutting itself down?...

So today I had a problem with my server goind offline. When the data center checked on it - they found it powered down. (the only server on the strip that was powered down)

This also happened last month on February 14.

So.... I'm trying to find why it's shutting itself off. And wondering if the closeness of dates might be a clue....

March 13
    Feb 14

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

There are alot of reasons. Many of them can be found in your system log (or event log).

More info would be helpful.

I know that RAM issues can cause systems to automatically reboot themselves, whether or not this has anything to do with your case, I'm not sure. Could be many things, have you tested anything on it?
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

Normally when I faced such problems, it is more to do with the CPU fan or temperature getting too high. Just do a check on your server and CPU fans.

Do you know if this server is a Dell or Compaq? Typically servers of this class will have tools that allow you to diagnose for failed components.

Otherwise, I'd recommend that you contact your service provider and have them swap the drive into another server so they can troubleshoot this hardware.

Faulty mobo is a factor also, Ive had two gone this week :/

Yeah I don't know what other info to give...
    The server is rather low usage with the CPU load at about .6 average.

I don't know the brand (if any)... It's a colo box setup through a guy I can no longer contact... LONG story.... But the data center plans on swapping the drives into one of their dedicated boxes soon...

It's a cPanel box (stable tree)
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.6 i686 on standard
    Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz
    2GB RAM

I found this in /var/log/messages:
    Mar 13 08:08:26 daffy kernel: tg3: eth0: Link is down.
    Mar 13 08:08:40 daffy kernel: tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.

Then it skips to when it booted back up when the DC powered it on. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting for this type of issue. But I do think it may be hardware, as there's been no drastic changes in software/OS. (just usual updates)

Also just noticed that none of the cpanel backups have been happening since Feb 14th...
    Well, very few... 1-3 accounts have backed up over the past 2 days...

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Devil Inside; 03-14-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: added more info...

What about disk space? Check your disk quota, as backups on scheduled.

Thanks.
    Sysfirm
    So you think your server is secure?
    Try our security Service
    With SysFirm

None of the disks or partitions are above 40% used.
    There are 4 accounts in cPanel that are over quota. Though that shouldn't stop cPanel from backing up the accounts.

Check disk and CPU temperature!

IBM, Dell, HP and any of its class will program each hardware with their product ID and stuff. To check these codes use dmidecode.

As others suggested, too many things could cause it to shutdown. The best is to ask the provide to diagnose the server.
    UltraUnix Internet Services
    Quality service since 2000!
    Reliability . Simplicity . Affordability

ok - thanks. I'll have them take a look at it, if I'm not switched to the new box soon.

Appreciate the help!