HostGator Math...

According to HostGator's Hatchling Plan, 350,000MB=350GB.

Actually, 350,000MB=341GB.

So... which one is it?

Lol.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you ask them?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Did you ask them?
    If I used Live Chat, I can almost guarantee it they wouldn't know!
      0 Not allowed!

Do we really have to be that technical about things? By simply ignoring the conversion can potentially save them with a bunch of unnecessary support questions.
      0 Not allowed!

I did it. It took a while for them to respond. (I used an alias name by the way - as I always do for Live Chats ) [I've replaced staff member's name.]

Quote Originally Posted by Hostgator Live Chat
    Please wait for a HostGator operator to respond.

Welcome to HostGator Live Chat! You are now chatting with 'HG Staff'.

HG Staff: Welcome to HostGator, how may I assist you?
    Joe: Hello.
    Joe: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...18#post5007918
    HG Staff: Hi
    Joe: Can you provide an answer?
    HG Staff: Sorry? What is the question?
    Joe: Post:
    Joe: "According to HostGator's Hatchling Plan, 350,000MB=350GB. Actually, 350,000MB=341GB. So... which one is it? Lol."

[Really long pause]

HG Staff: Stand by please.
    Joe: Sure.

[Really, really long pause]

HG Staff: All of the hosting accounts at hostgator are measured in MB not GB so the conversion is given for comparison only. But with the hatchling plan you receive 350,000 MB of space.
    Joe: Okay.
    Joe: Thanks very much for your help.
    I think it's a bit out of order that what they display on their website isn't true - whether it's relevant or not...
      0 Not allowed!

Oh Man busted....

If we gave a few more gigs the whole business model would collapse.

Last time I check we gave the correct amount on the plans. We try not to confuse people so rounding helps the majority of people.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Oh Man busted....

If we gave a few more gigs the whole business model would collapse.

Last time I check we gave the correct amount on the plans. We try not to confuse people so rounding helps the majority of people.
    Okay... solution to problem:

Display 350,000MB = ~350GB, and then put in one of your fancy little "?" signs to explain further.

Problem solved.

(Ok...it's not really a big deal, but it definitely sits much more nicely to be clear and thorough!)
      0 Not allowed!

Are you seriously kidding me? Do you have nothing better to do then come up with great scientific revelations such as these?! =/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    Are you seriously kidding me? Do you have nothing better to do then come up with great scientific revelations such as these?! =/
    It's bash hostgator day on WHT today.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    It's bash hostgator day on WHT today.
    Oh noez thats sad, but still question for OP :

Why do hosts(server providers for a server) say you get 2000GB bw or 2 TB bw, instead of exact numbers in MB ?

Happy figuring it out.

Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

Because it is easier to type/read/understand 2tb instead of 2,097,152mb
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Oh noez thats sad, but still question for OP :

Why do hosts(server providers for a server) say you get 2000GB bw or 2 TB bw, instead of exact numbers in MB ?

Happy figuring it out.

Cheers

You do understand that a lot of average joe's buy webhosting too right?
    Its easier to just say 250GB instead of the technical term.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 40sixty View Post
    You do understand that a lot of average joe's buy webhosting too right?
    Its easier to just say 250GB instead of the technical term.
    Exactly, we call that dumbing it down so less technical users can still understand what they are buying.
      0 Not allowed!

Why flame hostgator? They offer great services and there is nothing wrong with rounding. What is pie? 3.14? No, nobody knows. People assume 1,000 MB = 1GB. Do you see people saying you get 1,024 MB of space? No, that looks silly (honestly)
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music
      0 Not allowed!

Whatever.... just thought i should point it out.
    Last edited by Maker177; 03-13-2008 at 11:43 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

2 + 2 = 5 in HG math?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

Another vote for "who cares". If your using 350 GB or 350,000 MB... you really need to be on a dedicated server anyways. It's likely, you would hit CPU/RAM limits way before either of the above.

I am sure the .01% who are affected by this are furious
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions
      0 Not allowed!

When the numbers are the high you'll never use all that space anyways, so I don't think it matters getting the technical amount down.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

At this point all "serious" providers should follow yahoo and offer "unlimited" this is a stupid thread....

!Sarcams! Enjoy
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    Why flame hostgator? ... What is pie? 3.14? No, nobody knows.
    Actually, pie is a pastry that is usually a crust filled with some kind of filling. The filling is often sweet, hence making pie an excellent choice for dessert. Contrary to your allegation, Dan, I do know what pie is. And I love it.

pi is 3.14159265... and is a mathematical constant which represents the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in Euclidean geometry, which is the same as the ratio of a circle's area to the square of its radius. I have never been a great fan of pi, but I do know how to use it when necessary.

As for why flame hostgator? ... tastes great, less filling ... Take your pick.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

There should be some sort of pre-screening process before you are allowed to make a post.

Thats like complaining that your new 1000GB hard drive is actually 950GB formatted, because get this - hard drive companies round their gigabyte numbers up based on 1000mb = 1gb too.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    2 + 2 = 5 in HG math?
    PHP5, and MySQL 5
    I sure hope that's exactly version 5 of both you're offering, because if it's 5.2.0 or 5.0.1 I'm going to basically accuse you of making false claims.

On a more serious note, your website and your signature disagree on what version you actually offer.

On that last note, how does Fluid Hosting math do?
      0 Not allowed!

Thats like complaining that your new 1000GB hard drive is actually 950GB formatted, because get this - hard drive companies round their gigabyte numbers up based on 1000mb = 1gb too.
    Agreed! -- This was one of the most meaningless threads EVER on this forum. If the OP really wants to bash HG, I suggest he finds something real to complain about.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic
      0 Not allowed!

A 200GB hard drive you buy at a local computer shop, are you actually able to use up the entire 200gb that was displayed on the box when you bought it?
      0 Not allowed!

they are correct.

Just as

1 KM (Kilo meter) = 1,000 M

so is:

1 KB (Kilo byte) = 1,000 B (not 1,024 B)

Thus:

1 GB = 1,000 MB = 1,000,000 KB = 1,000,000,000 B

This is given by the fact that Kilo, Mega, Giga etc are designation for base-10 number.

On the other hand, the base-2 correspondece to Kilo, Mega, Giga are Kibi (Ki), Mebi (Mi), and Gibi (Gi)

1 GiB = 1,024 MiB = 1,048,576 KiB = 1,073,741,824 B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte
    http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/...825099,00.html

I am surprised that this is still so widely unknown nowadays. If you deal with computers, there is no reason for you not to know the binary correspondonces of KB, MB, GB, etc. Don't confuse base-10 number with base-2 number.
    Last edited by FHDave; 03-14-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    A 200GB hard drive you buy at a local computer shop, are you actually able to use up the entire 200gb that was displayed on the box when you bought it?
    If you are asking if you are able to find enough stuff to fill it, sure. I have 2.5tb of storage in this box (5x500mb SATA2) yes, I'm doing some "hostgator math" and rounding because the details don't really matter... But yes I have approximately 150gig free out of the full 2.5tb and that's because I just went thru and cleared some stuff off.

If you are asking if you get a full 200GB after formatting and installing an os, well it doesn't matter if it's a 50gb or a 5200gb HD, you're never going to be able to fill the entire number on the box with user data.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    The answer of the day.
    Man hostgator must be like ltao (lmao) t = their at this stage,
    man why does no one create stupid threads like this for my hosting company, so i can enjoy the free advertisements.

Lucky hostgator !! I envy you when you get all the free publicity at times !!!
      0 Not allowed!

You gotta have a lot of time on your hands to care about minutia like this.

Besides, what does it matter, the other restricitons on the accounts will come into play long before you use up that disk space! :-)
      0 Not allowed!

I am rereading this whole thread again. All these years, I have thought that people are already fully aware that the usage of Kilo, Mega, Giga, etc on the early days of computing was incorrect.

Hosts ... seriously, tell me that you never know about Kibi, Mebi, Gibi, etc? And you guys ridicule Host Gator for this? You guys should be spanked
      0 Not allowed!

I have been aware of Kibi, Mebi, Gibi, etc... for a very long time. To my knowledge the general population is unaware of these words and the correct descriptions of disk storage. I personally feel it would create more of a headache to actually use the correct words/descriptions than it would to continue doing it the way it is done now.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    you never know about Kibi, Mebi, Gibi
    Never heard of them before just now. Definition for any luddites like myself.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I have been aware of Kibi, Mebi, Gibi, etc... for a very long time. To my knowledge the general population is unaware of these words and the correct descriptions of disk storage. I personally feel it would create more of a headache to actually use the correct words/descriptions than it would to continue doing it the way it is done now.
    You can continue using "Kilo", "Mega", and "Giga" and we should continue using it. But we should also be aware that these are base-10 designation, not base-2. Thus, with all the rest of the base-10 designation, 1 GB is 1000 MB.

In the early days, people use the base-10 designation for their base-2 numbers because at the most they were dealing only with "Kilobyte" of storage/memory. Thus, the error/correction (1024 instead of 1000) were quite small, only 2.4%. However as computation grows, Gigabyte and even Terabyte is becoming standard now. At gigabyte level, the error/correction is already at ~7.4% and at terabyte level, the error/correction is ~10%. Certainly not quite negligible. In fact, 10% correction is a lot.

So computer savvy people, like you hosters, should be the one that are aware of this error propagation. Put this on the back of your mind. And the next time you see people advertise 350,000 MB as 350 GB, you should say "Amen" to that.
      0 Not allowed!

Time for bunny to spring into action and close this ridiculous chat thread. If not put it in chat section !!
      0 Not allowed!