Weirdddddd Problem

Right guys... got a nice weird problem here.

Installed a new 250GB WD drive into my aeging Acer P4 3.0Ghz laptop today. And I have to say it is actually running very sweet, decided to go for a clean install of Windows on it etc...

Two issues have cropped however:

1. The drive makes a very weird, but low, kinda ruffling sound, that lasts a split second, usually when its idle. The noise is not quite like a click, and is random, although before it was a bit common, however it was idle, atm as the laptop is being used for a few things, it seems to have disappeared.

I know that some drives in the past have made weird noises as a feature, usually to do with the life pro-longing mechanism etc... Just a bit worried.

2. When you click something in Windows (running XP SP2 btw), it seems as though the click sound is often almost "sluggish" for want of a better word. Sometimes it is as though it doesnt quite finish the click, other times it is as though the click just goes in slow motion.

As far as everything is working though, its all fine, playing back DVD's etc with no issues, music, browsing websites, installing programs, no slowdowns or sluggishness.

Is this a sign that the drive is a dud and I should RMA it do you think??

Not been running anything unusual which could cause random drive accessing, only MSN 7.5, IE7, OE6, WS_FTP and ESET Smart Security as per usual. I have also turned off a lot of un-needed services in MSCONFIG.

Cheers in advance for any advice. Think I will contact WD but thought I would see what peeps say here first.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt View Post
    Is this a sign that the drive is a dud and I should RMA it do you think??
    Have you run any tests on the drive? Do you perhaps own a copy of Hirens, or any disk diagnosing software? Maybe a few benchmarking tests as well
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

Benchmarks in AIDA look okay to be honest.

Don't own any other software, do WD have any dignostics software?

Thanks
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Do the RMA. Better be safe than sorry. You don't want this thing dying on you a day after the warranty expires.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Probably powering down when idle.

My Seagate 80GB SATA drives also make weird click and whining sounds when system goes to standby more and resumes. I never worry about it [except for losing the data for which I have a clone] since it came with 3 years warranty. My first Seagate lasted for eight years without giving any problems. Still works fine but too small for my requirement so I replaced it.