best secure host

hiiii

this is the first time for me

i had site in festureprice but hakers destroy evry things

i want u tell me about the best secure hosting company

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, but 99% of at least US/UK hosts should be secure. I haven't really ever heard of someone hacking a web server of some web hosting company I know of....and if your account happens to be hacked it is most likely your fault.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Originally posted by smidwap
    I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, but 99% of at least US/UK hosts should be secure. I haven't really ever heard of someone hacking a web server of some web hosting company I know of....and if your account happens to be hacked it is most likely your fault.
    HAHAHA, sorry.

Really though... you think 99%?

No where near that figure.
    If you had said 1% are secure, I wouldn't have said anything.

If the whole server was hacked they could have just done a restore from the most recent backup.

If only your site was hacked then it was probably done through a program (think cgi, php) on your site that was not fully secure.

If it was the last then there is nothing any host can do about it.

If the whole server was hacked and you really need a guaranteed secure place (although who can guarantee such a thing these days) I'ld go with one of the larger companies who have a) their own datacenter and b) their own full time employed system administrators who take care of the servers.

oooh, I know I'm going to be flamed for this one

Reasoning behind this is that many of the smaller (one server) hosts do not know too much about security and are an easy target for hackers.

On the other hand... It's not that often that you hear about hosting servers being hacked (although I wouldn't exactly advertise it ofcourse).

Keep a good backup of your site on your pc and don't get paranoid

I haven't ever heard of a web host I know getting hacked (I am refering to their server, not a client's accounts). And from this information, yes I do think 99% of US/UK hosts haven't been hacked (I can't say whether they are secure or not, but they haven't been hacked).
    Matt De Leon

thanks all

but whould u give me sites or way to help me to protact my programs (think cgi, php, fourm)

[i](I can't say whether they are secure or not, but they haven't been hacked). [/B]

Ah! But that is a huge difference. Just because they haven't been hacked doesn't mean that they cannot be hacked.

It just means nobody cared to bother ....yet.

Well, you can never know if a server is REALLY secure unless someone REALLY tries to hack it.
    Matt De Leon

u enter discuse about servers haking

and no anser for me

Originally posted by v676
    thanks all

but whould u give me sites or way to help me to protact my programs (think cgi, php, fourm)
    First thing you should do is get in contact with your old host and find out if they can tell you how your site was hacked.

Was it a serverwide hack or just your site? If it was just your site then maybe they can find in the error logs which program was used. Although seeing how you are no longer hosted with them it will probably be a small miracle if you ever receive a reply

Also make a list of all cgi/php etc programs you have on your site (bulletinboards, guestbooks, formmailers etc).

Maybe if you post it in the technical and security forum somebody can give you some tips.

In any case check your chmod permissions on the files. Is your cg-bin protected against reading? Are your cgi/php files that contain passwords protected from reading? Do you have any critical files set to permission 777 (world writable)?

Ofcourse if the whole server was hacked just find another host. Then it wasn't anything you could have prevented

Pilgrim

thanks for information

Sorry to hear about that. I don't know about the large host recommendation. I had a site at Hypermart, a very large host, and someone took down my whole site. Hopefully, most large hosts are better than Hypermart.

At first, I thought this was a thread that had been posted 1000 times before, but it's not. The word "secure" makes it different. It is very difficult to find a host that really knows about security and gives a hoot.

I think the 1% figure is more accurate. Probably 99% of the hosts out there are not very secure.

The only suggestion I can give is that you read this forum, and look at hosts that appear to be very knowledgeable in administrating a server, and then hopefully they will have good security.

You also might try one of the more established reputable hosts, such as Verio. I would guess their security is about as good as it gets. I doubt that you will find good security at a cheap price, though; so you have to be willing to pay for it, if it's important to you.

Or, you may want to go with a host that doesn't offer telnet or shell access, though this shouldn't be a problem if the host knows what they are doing.

Re: best secure host

hiiii

I use featureprice as one of my web hosts. I had one site over there that I moved to Verio due to some security concerns. I found that they do host hacker sites i.e. roothack.com. Since you are using a FreeBSD host, I recommend two large host which have better security, Pair.com & Verio.com. They have been around for some time and have adequate staff to meet your needs. Pair & Verio may not be the cheapest but you get what you pay for..service..uptime..secure networks. You ever hear the phrase "you get what you pay pay for" ? So true. If you have critical data, move it to another host. Otherwise featureprice is ok for a non-critical data web site. FeaturePrice (hosting-network.com) got its start as a Cobalt server webhost. I think their unix servers and operating systems is something new for them. I noticed that they upgraded their FreeBSD from 4.4. to 4.6 and have now downgraded to 4.4 again. They may have some programming issues there.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Re: best secure host

hiiii

Look at one of your neighbors. Hosting-Network is the parent of FeaturePrice. Do you think they promote such a thing?

Registrant:
    DNS Hostmaster Counsel (ROOTHACK-COM-DOM)
    Domain Administration Entity
    Private WHOIS Listing, Information N/A 00000
    US
    [email protected]

Domain Name: ROOTHACK.COM

Administrative Contact:
    DNS Hostmaster Counsel [email protected]
    Hosting-Network GmbH
    Freistadt, -- A-4240
    Austria
    1-800-ECOMMERCE

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    DNS Hostmaster Counsel [email protected]
    Hosting-Network GmbH
    Freistadt, -- A-4240
    Austria
    1-800-ECOMMERCE

Record last updated on 14-Aug-2002.
    Record expires on 04-Jun-2003.
    Record created on 04-Jun-2002.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.fastnameserv.com 64.38.111.2
    ns2.fastnameserv.com 64.38.111.2
    intellec

Intellec, are you saying that Hosting-Network and Feature Price are known for hacking? If not, what are you saying?

I would think Pair are pretty secure. Agreeing with the others though, nowhere near 99% of the hosts will be secure. I bet a good proportion of host's with their own servers can't even find their way around their own servers without using a control panel.
    Last edited by mdrussell; 08-17-2002 at 04:54 PM.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    I would have thought Pair are pretty secure.
    Are you saying that Pair is not secure, or that you agree that it is probably secure? Please clarify. Thanks.

I think Pair would be secure - I'll rephrase my original post.

Pair have a very good reputation when it comes to locking down and optimising their servers.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Thanks, I just wish Pair didn't have such strict policies.

As an aside... The other thing that keeps me from going with Pair or Verio is they use their own control panel. I think it's better to use a well-known control panel in case you need to change hosts. Also, Pair's (don't know about Verio's control panel) control panel seem limited, and it doesn't allow you to do half as much as C Panel or H Sphere.

Originally posted by chrisb
    Thanks, I just wish Pair didn't have such strict policies.

As an aside... The other thing that keeps me from going with Pair or Verio is they use their own control panel. I think it's better to use a well-known control panel in case you need to change hosts. Also, Pair's (don't know about Verio's control panel) control panel seem limited, and it doesn't allow you to do half as much as C Panel or H Sphere.
    Our policies are designed to ensure security and performance, thank you for noticing

I welcome an e-mail, or discussion here, detailing what our interface can't do that another interface can, keeping in mind that this is an interface for a shared hosting service, not a service offering root. We welcome knowing about an opportunity to improve the software, but usually these discussions come down to "well, the other software has skins and looks kewl!"

Thanks,
    Kevin

I would say don't go with the big companies, because they are INCREDIBLY SLOW to upgrade, or take action after being notified of security problems. They'll let it go on until it actually starts affecting their business. At least this has been my experience.

If you look at just how inept some of the one man web hosting businesses are on this board, and the shear number of them, you'll realize also that the 99% is probably a bit off. I'd hope that about 75% of them don't have any known remote vulnerabilities. But about 50% of them probably have local vulnerabilities. Look at all the web hosters on here that don't even know what suexec is, and haven't disabled any default services or firewalled anything on their boxen.

If you're looking for a secure host, go for one that hosts a site that is a target for hackers (a security site). More than likely they're thwarting attacks every day.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Some good points there, Mark. I wonder who hosts Bank of America, Equifax, NYSE, or those BIG 8 (7 now) accounting firms like Arthur Andersen.

Some good points there, Mark. I wonder who hosts Bank of America, Equifax, NYSE, or those BIG 8 (7 now) accounting firms like Arthur Andersen.
    It looks like every company you mentioned has its own IT department and network, although NYSE seems to be using Internap, for the most part. When it's worth enough money, and the company needs its own connectivity for business operations and employees, a company will hire experts for its IT department, set a budget, and do their own hosting.

Kevin

Intellec, are you saying that Hosting-Network and Feature Price are known for hacking? If not, what are you saying?
    All I know is check out that site and see where its hosted, then check the whois. Anyone hosting that site may be inviting some server issues. Read the News Part.
    intellec