What state to host in?

I am on the East coast and do have client there but many in florida. There are many good deals all over for dedicated servers in US but I am torn.

Should I host in East coast because my clients sites are there ? I am concerned about the speed and extra hops if I were to host in for example, mid west, or West Coast etc.

does it matter? Would distance make a difference?

Ralph

Would distance make a difference? Yes.

But distance as the internet goes is not distance as the crow flies. A well-connected mid-US or west-coast server could end up being a similar or lower number of hops than an east-cost server.

Generally speaking, east coast is slightly better for east coast, but that can be very 'slight', depending on the two comparisons. Also note that in many cases the total throughput is the same from any location, and all you're arguing is a 10-50ms latency difference. If its games, that might matter.. if its HTTP traffic, it likely does not.

great response!

does 10 mbps vs 100 mbps uplink speed make a difference as to how fast a page loads?

thanks for your reponse

ralph2, 10 mbps vs 100 mbps is not going to make a difference in a few kb being downloaded for basic web sites. However, it all depends on the content. Obviously the larger the file size, the more the 100 mbps will come into play.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

That's half-correct. A single small file xfer would be unaffected by 10 or 100 mbit difference. however, a LOT of small file xfers would be. If you come within about 20% or so of saturating your 10 mbit link, it'd be time to consider a 100 mbit link.. if instant response was really really important.

It does depend on the size and or amount. Just pointing out if it's a low traffic website serving small static pages, then there would not be a difference.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

thanks again, big help.

what about flavor of unix, cent os, fedodora 5 and 6.
    I heard fedora is stable and fast, but I my other server is cent os.

what to do?

Thanks again

We use CentOS on all of our servers because it is secure and stable...

As for the datacenter, have you checked into hosts that have servers at AtlantaNAP? The speed from that datacenter has always amazed me.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by ralph2 View Post
    thanks again, big help.

what about flavor of unix, cent os, fedodora 5 and 6.
    I heard fedora is stable and fast, but I my other server is cent os.

what to do?

Thanks again
    CentOS is a clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux. Fedora is RedHat's testing stuff, and in my opinion should never see production use.

I personally recommend Debian Linux, or FreeBSD if you want to use BSD. However, Debian doesn't support CPanel so that might need to be taken into consideration.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288