Need a shared host

I'm looking for a shared host that has not been oversold, but need a large amount of disk space. Reading arround I think these two things are incompatible!

It's for a B2B site with a limited number of customers so the bandwidth does not have to be that large but the site must give a good first impression so I can not have periods of running slow!

My requirements are php4, mysql5, 200Gb disk space. It also needs a php memory_limit of at least 32M. Not that the site will use it very often its just one of the php scripts that will run about once a day needs at least that amount.

Any recommendations?

I agree these things seem rather incompatible.
    -- if I were you, I wouldn't worry so much about "overselling".

What is more important is that the host knows what they are doing, for instance that they monitor their servers very closely to make sure they don't begin to run slow.

Find a host with a good reputation, and ask them about your specific technical requirements.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Its not really the overselling I'm worried about, its wether they do really provide 200Gb of disk space and keep the load on the servers at a reasonable level, which I would be suprised they can do for the price they are charging.

I thought I would have to use a dedicated server to get the disk space I require. The bandwidth used will not be that high, so if I can take advantage of the overselling....

I suppose most people do not use the resources, so that is how they can get away with it. Do any of the overselling hosts have a good reputation? I've looked at dreamhost and bluehost but am seeing far toom many bad reviews. I actually tried 1and1 as it was only $15 for 6 months, and the site runs ok, but I ran into problems with their 20M php memory_usage limit.

Quote Originally Posted by frediokl View Post
    200Gb disk space
    I think that it would be dedicated server with huge HDD at list.
    Santrex Internet Services
    Shared Hosting & Dedicated Servers & Shells
    High Quality Only!

change your post title to "looking for dedicated server" ...
    Let's talk custom servers and reseller plans

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaveHosted View Post
    change your post title to "looking for dedicated server" ...
    The overselling shared hosts say they provide the disk space! The processing power/bandwidth that the site requires do not need a dedicated server. It is a B2B site with a limited membership, it seems a waste to pay $100+/month for a dedicated server if I can take advantage of the overselling!

So I suppose my title should be is anyone running a php/mysql site on one of the overselling packages and if so is the performance consitantly at an acceptable level.

Let's talk custom servers and reseller plans

Your demands of a 200GB disk obviously come with usage as well (no site this large will not be used).

What you may want to look for is a dedicated server with a large disk(s), maybe this server could be a small server (if it comes to hardware specs).

If you are not sure how to host such a server you could look and find Fully managed servers, note there is quite a lot of difference in each service provided, but i believe you should have something which is dedicated and run like a shared-host.

Hope this information helps, good luck with your search.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I do know how to run a server I have a similar site running on a VPS which I manage myself. That site does not yet require the disk space but does have a lot more traffic, hence the VPS.

Although the new site requires a large amount of disk space, the bandwidth will not be that large due to the limited number of users. The site will not be available to the general public and will not be indexed by the search engines. Most of the space will be taken up by images that will be rarely viewed. Hence my thought that an overselling host would be a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by frediokl View Post
    Hence my thought that an overselling host would be a good idea!
    For a B2B website i would personally never rely on a overselling host.

Depending on the structure of your site you could maybe get some backup space and mount it through samba. (that is if speeds are not that important for those images).

Just an idea

A little history. The original plan was to used a dedicated server.

I purchased the $15 account with 1&1 just for development and maybe to use for backups. I was suprised at the perfomance I got from the 1and1 account.

I ran a similar site, the one that is now on a VPS, on powweb shared platform and the performance was awfull. I was expecting the 1and1 platfrom to be similar but was presently suprised. Which got me thinking that maybe I could run the site on a shared host. 1and1 have a limit on php memory_usage of 20M, which is not enough for one of my scripts so I can't use them. Hence the question, does anyone know of any other reliable overselling shared hosts?

Why do you need 200GB's ?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

All other things aside, PHP4 is dying. Providers offering it grow less numerous by the day, and the ones that still do, will at some point stop offering it. So, make sure you're PHP5 ready.

Any host offering that much diskspace is going to be overselling. As much as I don't want to suggest going with another host other then my own (as I don't offer overselling, and wouldn't be able to give you that much diskspace without wanting to sell you a dedicated server), I am giong to say whichever host you do go with just make sure they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Then you can just sign up, load the account with the space you need and wait a week or two to see if they flag your account. You'll never know what they really allow you to have until you try.

For that amount of space I would recommend a dedicated server. Softlayer has some great servers.
    :: PerlArcade - Play Online Games

200gb on a shared host, go dedicated and be reasonable.