Vienna, Austria

those desk(top)note(book) things..

i'm thinking of getting one of these toys to play around with and see how they're doing. i have read many of the reviews and the problems have all been heaviness, heat, and the external battery/powersupply.

these points however aren't really a problem for me, as, i will only be using it to play music live, as a secondary computer in my house and i would sometimes take it to a cafe to have some coffee and work on some new music, so i would always have it plugged into the wall anyways, so, i take the power supply with me wherever i go. i could care less about the battery, the heaviness is really no big deal as it only weighs 2pounds more than my compaq does, and the heat shouldn't be a problem, as, i'll never really use it on my lap, so, no sweaty legs from the exhaust from the huge fan to cool the cpu.

i am interested in it, because, i can get the barebones cheap and use the spare parts i have sitting around the house (cpu + ram) to make a nice little workhorse out of it. and, the price is amazing for either the 928 or 929 (around $640 including shipping, no cpu, no ram, which, i already have here doing nothing.)

i'm just curious if anyone has one, has experience with one, or hasn't even heard of it.

i am open to any of the models, but, i'm thinking of the 928 or the 929 of course for the firewire and 4 usb ports (no more stupid usb hub dongle!). i have spare p4 and xp CPU + ddr ram at hand doing nothing. just to be safe though, for heat, i'm thinking the p4 would be the better bet.

woohoo. let's hear it for new toys!
    Last edited by skylab; 08-17-2002 at 12:52 PM.