DynamicHosting.biz - Great unless you complain!

My Website: usecforce.com
    What is it? Gaming Community (Clan)
    Hoster: DynamicHosting.biz

When I complained about service the first time they blamed my scripts. They were right. I was not closing off my database scripts and it is quite conceivable that in the hosting environment they were not being disposed of correctly. So I went through and audited our whole website and changed all the scripts. Then I began to get responses from our users that the website was crashing daily, I received advice from DynamicHosting that a "bad domain was causing the problems and should be fixed now". Then I received an apology from them stating:

"I'm really sorry about this, it's not the service that you should expect and I apologize for that. We can migrate your site to a new server in a new data center that is much more reliable then the server / data center you are in now. Thank you very much for all your patience."

When the problems still did not go away, I paid for a company to go through my website and find the errors. They found nothing and one of my members suggested complaining to the BBB as they were a member and I got the following response:

"We have just been notified that you have made a claim against us with the BBB. In your claim, you state that our servers are at fault when in fact it is your script that causes our server to have issues and inconveniences our other customers. I am absolutely appalled that you think this was a good idea especially after we have notified you of this problem on multiple occasions.

We have refunded your payment on your visa card in full for the month of March and are terminating your account with us in 48 hours."

So as you can see, they deal with complaints by simply terminating your account! No wonder they say their clients love them, because they terminate everyone elses account with 48 hours! I personally think this kind of approach is ghastly. I never would have thought that a company would simply deal with complaining customers by getting rid of them. Which really bugs me is that they're saying they have "satisfied my requests" by refunding me my March subscription and given me two free days hosting to find another provider. Well, that makes up for it doesn't it!

I received the following from them just before, as their second official response to the BBB complaint:

"We no longer wish to do business with Mr. Hall for a number of reasons and have no obligation to provide him with any hosting services as we have refunded his money. When he signed up with us for hosting services he agreed to the following terms and conditions: dynamichosting.biz/secure/terms.php

Please note in section 2 that Dean has agreed that we reserve the right to cancel the hosting services we provide to him at any time without reason or notification."

I'm not sure what the number of reasons are, but I suspect the reason is that I complain and I try to hold people to their promises, even if means going to the BBB.

So just thought everyone should know that DynamicHosting don't like you complaining, and if you do, they reserve the right to cancel you're hosting without notice. So I've now taken two days off work to try move our site over too a new provider. Luckily, I've spoken to my bank, and given the promise on their website of 99.9% uptime they have agreed to process a chargeback.

lol, that's the first time I've seen a company decide to get rid of a paying customer, rather than try to correct the issue (and perhaps get the BBB complaint removed).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    lol, that's the first time I've seen a company decide to get rid of a paying customer, rather than try to correct the issue (and perhaps get the BBB complaint removed).
    You have no idea... I actually began to thought I was going mad in the process, and I am some sort of terribly unreasonable customer. I was recommended by one of our users to use the BBB process because it "takes the tension out of the air".

Unforuntately, all it seemed to do was cause instant termination of our website. Of all potentially bad things that could happen to a hobbist website, instant termination would have to be the worst.

Their hosting isn't cheap by comparison to others. Indeed, the website it self was fine, it was the MySQL database that constantly crumbled. For non-windows hosting I believe they are great, but with Windows and database hosting they're obviously offering a service they cannot provide.

I guess the aggressive attitude towards complaints is a complementary service they forgot to list on their website

Thats the first ime i've seen the company REFUND a client. Everytime I see its always a problem with the refunding.

Quote Originally Posted by masfenix View Post
    Thats the first ime i've seen the company REFUND a client. Everytime I see its always a problem with the refunding.
    Wait a minute... they refunded me my MARCH payment only. I'm not even going to be able to use the website for most of March anyway, because the website goes down in 12 hours! It's taken me 10 hours to download the SQL data from the database...

I'm sure the bad publicity you gave the company cost them more than the refund they gave you. I almost don't blame them for taking this action, you are going to cost them a few signups because people will see these negative comments on the web.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

But, what is the BBB?

I hope you find a better host. If a host would do like that to each buggy php their customers run...

BBB is like the online police for consumers against companys. You can go file a complaint and they will handle it for you.
    BlueWire-Hosting - Well priced, and affordable hosting. With a helping staff and blazing support!
    cPanel/WHM • RvSkins • Fantastico de Luxe • 24/7 Support
    PHP5 With Rewrite for PHP4 • SiteBuilder • Ruby On Rails • Perl • mySql
    | Custom Plans Available | Resellers | Shared |

I think you should of either
    A) Continued to work with your host to resolve the issue or
    B) Move to another webhost.

If you felt the need to complain you could easily do so on this forum. I think taking this issue to the BBB is going over board. Most companies such as mine Use thier BBB status as a very important tool and is extremly important to keep that record clean. From what you have described the issues you had did not warrent making a claim with the BBB.

From what i read the first issue you had more than likly was your own fault. (which they helped pin point) from there it certainly looks like they where interested in getting down to the root cause of your issues and where working with you.
    If someone opened up a BBB complaint with my company and i was still in the midst of helping and from the sounds of it. Havent exhausted all the different options of resolving this issue I would be upset as well.

I dont know what you expected them to do after you filed the complaint they where already attempting to help you You filed the complaint (which they cant take away) Why continue to resolve anything further when you already took it over the hosting companys head. you have already caused damage to thier name keeping you around is only going to hurt them more in the long run. I dont see anywhere (unless i missed it or viewing the incorrect website) where they offer managed services and i am not convinced that this issue isnt atleast partially a issue with your site in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Testtube302 View Post
    If you felt the need to complain you could easily do so on this forum. I think taking this issue to the BBB is going over board. Most companies such as mine Use thier BBB status as a very important tool and is extremly important to keep that record clean. From what you have described the issues you had did not warrent making a claim with the BBB.

From what i read the first issue you had more than likly was your own fault. (which they helped pin point) from there it certainly looks like they where interested in getting down to the root cause of your issues and where working with you.
    If someone opened up a BBB complaint with my company and i was still in the midst of helping and from the sounds of it. Havent exhausted all the different options of resolving this issue I would be upset as well.

I dont know what you expected them to do after you filed the complaint they where already attempting to help you You filed the complaint (which they cant take away) Why continue to resolve anything further when you already took it over the hosting companys head. you have already caused damage to thier name keeping you around is only going to hurt them more in the long run. I dont see anywhere (unless i missed it or viewing the incorrect website) where they offer managed services and i am not convinced that this issue isnt atleast partially a issue with your site in particular.
    Firstly, my website has been performing outstandingly in its subsequent hosting. I had a complete audit done on the code, at considerable expense, and not a single issue was found. I have been told the issue would have been a massively overloaded mysql database. They never really dealt with my almost constant complains about downtime. There would always be another excuse, or some vague "your code is the problem" without even saying whether it was a mysql or page problem. This has since been shown to be what it is, made up.

The BBB is not simply there as a "tool" for businesses. Its primary aim is as a tool for resolving customer complaints. What does complaining on this forum achieve?

Kicking out a customer who complains, rather than working with that customer to achieve satisfaction, is not professional behaviour and I'm confident the behaviour of DynamicHosting will be seen for what it is when the case is closed.

A complaining customer is an opportunity to put something right. When I complained, they could have either simply offered a refund of a month, or recommended an upgrade and offered me a small discount on a VPS package, or simply appologised. In these situations they could have turned around an angry customer, into one that is going to tell stories about how well the company dealt with a problem.

Things happen, customers complain. The golden rule is to treat customers professionally. They did not have to resort to personal accusations. They are now accusing me of "abusing the BBB system" to BBB staff, which I am sure will help with their arguement.

I have no sympathy for the company, at all. And members of our site are so appalled themselves they have taken it upon themselves to start contacting local businesses using DynamicHosting to let them know what happened.

It's true... make somebody unhappy and they'll scream it to everybody they know. Make them happy and nobody hears a thing about it.

If only all of their satisfied customers were as active in speaking about their experiences, this thread would be moot.

Ah well - good luck at any rate.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod View Post
    BBB is like the online police for consumers against companys. You can go file a complaint and they will handle it for you.
    The BBB is not limited to online consumer protection. There's BBB, than there's BBB Online.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

it seems like the script you used didn't worked well on DynamicHosting.biz servers, they tried to help you and find the source of the problem and even moved you to a different server, in my opinion they done beyond what other hosts would have done, it was much simpler for them to kick you out for TOS violation which by the sound of it was justified.

some scripts have trouble running on different server configuration, if the problem could not be resolved the best thing to do is find a different host.

in my opinion the complain to the BBB was unjustified.

Quote Originally Posted by ZizDead View Post
    in my opinion the complain to the BBB was unjustified.
    Indeed, that may well be the case. And I'm also prepared to accept that the problem is my scripts, and that everything is my fault and/or problem.

However, I think there is a lesson for all companies here is that it matters less who is wrong, and more in how one holds themselves during a complaint.

Had the company simply placed the facts as they saw it rationally, instead of resorting to accusations and termination simply on the grounds of a formal complaint... there would have likely been no issue on either my part of the BBB.

A customer simply making a BBB complaint is no issue at all. All businesses have customers that make complaints, and the BBB is not just for "difficult" complaints. The BBB cares about how companies deal with complaints - thats what affects a businesses BBB status. A company that values their BBB status, should see complaints as an opportunity to be professional.

Followup

I thought I would follow this one up for those that followed my saga initially.

Half a year on...

I moved to a company called OpenHost here in New Zealand, and I have been in bliss! They've been totally fantastic. A week in they called me up to ask how it was going (how nice was that?), commenting on what a cool site they thought I had.

Once news broke out to my members what DynamicHosting had done, all hell broke loose and our Canadian users started writing letters to companies that had DynamicHosting accounts. By that stage, I was over the whole situation and contacted all our users to explain that I was now almost glad it had come to that because the quality of their windows hosting was so incredibly poor compared to what I was now getting. We calmed everyone down and life turned back to normal. We did loose 4 days, and 50 megabytes worth of data, but hey - everyone looses something.

I think DynamicHosting are a "good" company for anything except Windows Hosting, and any time you don't have a problem. My new account has been running in the six months since then without a single performance issue (so much for my scripts being the problem). I get regular feedback from OpenHost about processor and memory usage, none of my scripts are any problem at all.

Chargeback Outcome

After the letters-to-companies incident, I called the bank to cancel my chargeback application. They'd already approved it but I told her to cancel my application, in the hope that DynamicHosting might use the money I paid them to clean up their Windows Hosting. The saga had gone on for long enough, and now I was happy with decent hosting.

Better Business Bureau

Complete waste of time. There part in the process was simply to go "the company said this... the company said that...", they made no attempt to mediate or discuss or anything. They simply presented me what DynamicHosting said. They didn't investigate, and they closed the complaint as "resolved" anyway when I refused to accept the companies response that the complaint was resolved.

Final thoughts...

I'm actually glad it happened, because I got out of the situation I probably wouldn't have left. Turns out our server was down at least an hour or two every day, and with our new server, we have seen a dramatic increase in membership and signup. As a result of what happened, three businesses that were associated with us canceled their subscriptions with DynamicHosting when their accounts finished, and moved to our new hosters.

My plea to hosters, if someone complains... be honest. If DynamicHosting were simply honest with me about the poor state of their Windows hosting (and prepared to help out a little with cost reduction where appropriate), I would have been very understanding. They seemed like nice people. As a result of the way they handled it, they lost customers.

It was an experience!

I'm glad that you sorted it out, and that you found the perfect company for you!

Keep it going, and good luck for your website! It must be interesting!

Regards
    Miguel ยngelo - Marketing/PR Bachelor - Need Marketing/IT consultation? Contact me for a quote.
    BackupInstance - Backup Servers and Advanced Solutions/Clustering/High-End Server Configurations

What happened, happened. Glad to hear your problems are gone, and nice of you to come by and let everyone know who helped you solve them!