Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY NOC a scam

Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    I dont think there is a positive review of TheNYNOC.com! It's funny how they stop replying when the know they're cornered!
    Well, to be honest, I do doubt they intentionally became scammers. I think that whole January outage really messed them up and they feel scamming people is necessary to stay in business.

In my mind, they could still recover their reputation by sending backups to the people they shutdown unjustly, and (in my case, no idea about others') refunding the last month I paid for that I never received any service at all in.

Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    I dont think there is a positive review of TheNYNOC.com! It's funny how they stop replying when the know they're cornered!
    Actually, there are. We are not cornered. I feel there is no need to argue with certain people on a forum.
    Senior Network Architect
    Managed Network Services for Hosting Providers
    www.ipexperts.net
    | https://anycastvpn.net

Quote Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
    Well, to be honest, I do doubt they intentionally became scammers. I think that whole January outage really messed them up and they feel scamming people is necessary to stay in business.

In my mind, they could still recover their reputation by sending backups to the people they shutdown unjustly, and (in my case, no idea about others') refunding the last month I paid for that I never received any service at all in.
    The January outage didn't hurt us in the least. You can certainly think that if you like though.

We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services.

In any case, to each his own and you can continue to think what you may.

To all those other people reading this thread, know that we are and will never be scammers. Being in this business for a while already shows that we are in fact stable and will keep on running.

Said clients in this thread who are complaining are simply a couple clients whom either expected managed services while paying for an unmanaged product or whom expected a service to stay online after they had cancelled.

Thank you
    Senior Network Architect
    www.ipexperts.net

Liars. I did not request cancellation until about 2 weeks after my VPS's current outage, and my request was to take effect AT THE END OF THE MONTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
    Liars. I did not request cancellation until about 2 weeks after my VPS's current outage, and my request was to take effect AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
    Did you follow proper cancellation procedure and submit a cancellation request through our billing system? No you did not. I am sorry you were unable to follow terms set in our TOS.

As I said earlier, arguing here is a waste of time.
    Senior Network Architect
    www.ipexperts.net

Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    Did you follow proper cancellation procedure and submit a cancellation request through our billing system? No you did not. I am sorry you were unable to follow terms set in our TOS.
    Yes, actually, I did. I opened a cancellation ticket exactly as laid out in the TOS, and never got a reply on it. If you are denying that I opened a ticket, did you then ASSUME I cancelled? Why? I was paid up through Mar 31 since I received the bill for Feb (I accidentally paid twice), so why would you assume I wanted to cancel before then? I don't recall making any mention of cancellation before opening my cancel support ticket (which specifically stated cancellation was to be at the END of the current/March service period).

Date: 2008-03-06 12:33 pm
    Subject: [#UXS-970905]: Cancellation

Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

Ticket ID: UXS-970905
    Subject: Cancellation
    Department: Billing
    Priority: High
    Until you received this, there was NO justification to claim I cancelled service.

QED
    NY NOC ought to keep mouths shut before any more damage is done to their reputation. How can have such long down time not be a big hit to their reputation in their minds? I have no dog in this fight but as a bystander reading the posts, the client comes off as being level headed and calm when he had every reason to be blowing a gasket over the extended downtime. Conversely the people from NY NOC came off very badly, about as bad as having such long unexplained outages. This exchange has been enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by stanj View Post
    QED
    NY NOC ought to keep mouths shut before any more damage is done to their reputation. How can have such long down time not be a big hit to their reputation in their minds? I have no dog in this fight but as a bystander reading the posts, the client comes off as being level headed and calm when he had every reason to be blowing a gasket over the extended downtime. Conversely the people from NY NOC came off very badly, about as bad as having such long unexplained outages. This exchange has been enlightening.
    Thank you for your *insightful* post. No outage was ever "unexplained" so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. We do not have to "keep our mouths shut". If there is something that needs to be said such as stating the facts, then it will be said.

Thank you
    Senior Network Architect
    www.ipexperts.net

Angry

thenynoc said:

[We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services."]

Do you mean the $10-30/month paid customer is not important for you,you just care of the ones paid above of $30.If so,the company is so poor for us to stay with.
    Last edited by MIYU-HITORI; 03-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

Quote Originally Posted by MIYU-HITORI View Post
    thenynoc said:

[We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services."]

Do you mean the $10-30/month paid customer is not important for you,you just care of the ones paid above of $30.If so,the company is so poor for us to stay with.
    No that is not what I mean. Please read my original post again.
    Senior Network Architect
    www.ipexperts.net

Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    No outage was ever "unexplained" so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion.
    During the January outage, a NY NOC employee promised that after it was resolved I would receive an explanation (including details on NY NOC's SLA) via email. I never received a word of it. That fits the definition of "unexplained" quite well, I think. The outages since January were certainly never acknowledged, even in public.

Quote Originally Posted by PayPal
    We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor.
    Now if only I could manage to get a backup of the last filesystem image before NY NOC killed my service... (yes, I have my own backups, but there were changes in the hours before the VPS went down, mainly logs)

I'm also having problems with these guys. I setup an account and paid immediately. My account sat in "pending" status for a while, so I checked with support. They told me that my server should be setup in a few hours.

The next morning my account has been charged twice and refunded twice, and my account is in "fraud" status with no explaination. I used legitimate information to sign up, and contacted them to offer to call or send info to confirm my identity, but they did not respond.

Had I proxied to Nigeria, or used conflicting information, or avoided them, I would understand the situation... But I provided legitimate contact and billing information.

I certainly would not say "scam", but I would say their service is less than satisfactory.

Perhaps their anti-fraud service raised a couple of red flags and they had to reject your payment for that reason.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Well, sure... That's why I asked them to explain the situation and offered to confirm my identity, etc.

I used Paypal, and the account is verified, has the same name/info etc...

Sorry... I'm frustrated, because I wanted to switch ASAP so that I could switch from my current hoster before the end of my month there. If they had accepted my account I could have switched everything over and been a happy new customer. Now I need to find a new hoster, but don't have time to switch before my next invoice so I gotta pay my overpriced rates for another month.

I know it's a minor issue, but if they had simply responded to my email I could have confirmed my identity (or whatever the problem is), switched providers, and be switching my DNS right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafemonkey View Post
    Well, sure... That's why I asked them to explain the situation and offered to confirm my identity, etc.

I used Paypal, and the account is verified, has the same name/info etc...
    Did you by any chance use a Internet connection who's IP-address says that you are far from the location you have in your PayPal account information?

Just speculating here...

I'm at work, and my address is at home; it's a half hour drive.

In any event, it's been 24 hours and I haven't heard from them, so I'll be going with a different provider.

Even with an address half an hour away the fraud rating would not be high enough to mark as fraud. If they aren't responding then you are making the correct choice by going with a different provider.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Cafemonkey View Post
    I'm at work, and my address is at home; it's a half hour drive.

In any event, it's been 24 hours and I haven't heard from them, so I'll be going with a different provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by eclouds View Post
    Even with an address half an hour away the fraud rating would not be high enough to mark as fraud. If they aren't responding then you are making the correct choice by going with a different provider.
    That depends on what is written in the IP-address allocation for his work-place, so to speak.

But yes, it could be time to start looking for another provider.

Usually as long as the order address is within 100 miles of the IP address allotment information, then it should pass verification. I'm sure theres an explanation of this.

Hopefully Andy will shed some light and provide further insight.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Why wouldn't you guys save yourself the trouble and pay the guy his 30 dollars?. Wouldn't it be easier than having people read this about the NYNOC?

I'm not on any side here, but I would rather refund them for the 'downtime', and I'm sure it would have a better effect than having possible customers reading this thread.

I just don't think $30 dollars is worth putting up a fight, and bad exposure like this.

Again, im not on anyone's side, but I would rather work with the customer than 1. Loose their business. 2. Create negative exposure about your company.

Anyways, good luck to you guys.
    Last edited by ctaborda; 04-05-2008 at 12:49 AM.

@Carlos-IBT It can also be an issue of not having to give in to future black-mail from clients who "aren't happy" with their service and wants a refund beyond their SLA.

Please note that I am not saying that the individuals complaining in this thread are of the black-mail sort, but I am simply stating a point on how the NYNOC would think in such instances.

Yea I understand, but isnt downtime refundable?

Only up to the SLA's guarantees, and not a penny more than that, in my opinion.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast