Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 61

Thread: NY NOC a scam

  1. #1

    NY NOC a scam

    Seen plenty of these lately, but I figured I'd post my story as well...

    NY NOC was going fine up until the end of 2007... then there was that horrific downtime. During it, one of their support guys told the forum his IM address to ask him questions. I talked to him about some things and he promised me once it was all resolved I would receive an email explaining what caused the problem, why it took so long to fix, and what the policy for SLA failures was. I have never received any email even acknowledging or apologizing for the downtime at all to this day!

    Near the end of January, I received a bill from NY NOC for the next month. I paid it, and then the automated PayPal Subscription also made a payment for the same month. I cancelled the automatic payments since I had at this point decided I would be moving to another host by the end of March anyway.

    There have been intermittant outages even since the problem in January. The current one is even more ridiculous than the start of January-- my VPS hasn't been online this month at all! Since that first outage, my support tickets have been ignored too.

    Finally having received a great deal on a dedicated server from OLM to replace NY NOC, this week I filed my cancellation ticket (for the end of the current service period = March 31) with NY NOC-- which was of course again ignored. Today I initiated a PayPal dispute for the last 2 months (Feb & Mar)-- the Feb dispute was not accepted because PayPal "doesn't cover" problem service, but the Mar one was since I never received ANY service this month. NY NOC has, within a matter of 15 minutes, responded that my VPS was up all the time until I cancelled with them-- utter nonsense! Especially since this current downtime started over 2 weeks before I filed the cancellation ticket and over a month before the end of the service period.

    BTW, anyone want to get together for a class-action lawsuit?

  2. #2
    Paypal didnt do anything? Really....So much for buyer protection....

  3. #3
    Well, I just started the PayPal dispute today, so that is yet to be seen.
    NY NOC's response, following their lies about cancelling, practically brags "PayPal protection doesn't cover services, so haha!"

    Hello, Service has been provided to said client up until client cancelled service with us. We do not provide refunds on our services provided and since paypal's policy only covers tangible goods and not services provided, a refund will not be provided.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    I love how all these negative reviews come from people who sign up for a WHT account for the sake of bashing companies they do not like. The majority of these people either leave the community after they get their "revenge" or stay a while to see if there are any other threads they can bash.

    I personally do not think Andy would do any client wrong. He never did while I was there, and I don't see why he'd start now. Yes, the entire downtime thing was pretty bad, but I believe we resolved most of that. As for the PayPal dispute, would you honestly expect him to give up without a fight? If he believed you were right, things probably would have been worked out. Him stating that PayPal does not cover that sort of area is not bad, it's simply him defending himself.

    I hope things work out for the both of you, and good luck with your new host.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    I love how all these negative reviews come from people who sign up for a WHT account for the sake of bashing companies they do not like. The majority of these people either leave the community after they get their "revenge" or stay a while to see if there are any other threads they can bash.
    I may be a newbie, but I've been lurking for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    I personally do not think Andy would do any client wrong. He never did while I was there, and I don't see why he'd start now. Yes, the entire downtime thing was pretty bad, but I believe we resolved most of that.
    You just gave the probable motive-- maybe they're fighting to stay in business after that outage by scamming everyone. Maybe Andy left, I don't know, but the fact is they are certainly scamming me and, from the looks of it, many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    As for the PayPal dispute, would you honestly expect him to give up without a fight? If he believed you were right, things probably would have been worked out. Him stating that PayPal does not cover that sort of area is not bad, it's simply him defending himself.
    No, but I expect him to play fair and not blatently lie like that. If he believed he was really right, he should have responded to my tickets before I went to PayPal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    All I have to say in response to this are the following:

    1) Clients do not have the right to try take advantage of their host simply because they aren't "happy". Service was provided, end of story and trying to file a paypal dispute after services were rendered, does not entitle you to come here trying to hinder our name.

    2) Using the word scam is also another inappropriate term here. We have been in business over 4 years now. Surely if we were a scam, someone would have pulled the plugs on us somehow. You can tell all of our satisfied clients that we are scam and see how many actually believe you.

    It amazes me how some people cannot act mature enough to be responsible for their actions these days.

    No more replies will be given to this thread as it is not a public matter.

    Good luck with your new host.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    1) Clients do not have the right to try take advantage of their host simply because they aren't "happy". Service was provided, end of story and trying to file a paypal dispute after services were rendered, does not entitle you to come here trying to hinder our name.
    No, service was NOT provided. During Feburary, my VPS was not up for nearly the promised 99.9%, and my VPS has been down for all of March so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    2) Using the word scam is also another inappropriate term here. We have been in business over 4 years now. Surely if we were a scam, someone would have pulled the plugs on us somehow. You can tell all of our satisfied clients that we are scam and see how many actually believe you.
    I was a satisfied customer until you started pulling this crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    No more replies will be given to this thread as it is not a public matter.
    When you refuse to communicate privately by ignoring all my emails and tickets, what do you expect?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    No, service was NOT provided. During Feburary, my VPS was not up for nearly the promised 99.9%, and my VPS has been down for all of March so far.
    I guess a person would say that to make himself look like a victim. I thought you said you canceled it in March, so wouldn't you expect it to be down?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    I guess a person would say that to make himself look like a victim. I thought you said you canceled it in March, so wouldn't you expect it to be down?
    I filed the cancellation ticket during March stating I would not be continuing past the current service period, during which it was already down the entire time. That service period ends Mar 31, so it should still be up according to NY NOC.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    It amazes me how some people cannot act mature enough to be responsible for their actions these days.
    Thats funny to hear you say that after you never bothered to reply to the thread I started when you refused to give me my backups!

    I would be in on class action suit. PM me.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,119
    Seems like you have more than one unsatisfied customer on your hands. Also, I don't see why you would refuse to give a backup, it is a rather simple thing to do and costs basically nothing.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    Thats funny to hear you say that after you never bothered to reply to the thread I started when you refused to give me my backups!

    I would be in on class action suit. PM me.
    Yeah sure, you don't know how many times I've heard that.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Lets take a look at what probably happened:

    1. You signed up for hosting and everything was fine.

    Downtime Option A)
    you messed the server up by clicking random things
    Downtime Option B) you may have actually experienced some downtime

    2. You didn't like his service, so you canceled - alright, when you cancel something, it is turned off (please correct me if I am wrong).

    3. Since you are an unhappy client, this company must be scamming people.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Lets take a look at what probably happened:

    1. You signed up for hosting and everything was fine.

    Downtime Option A)
    you messed the server up by clicking random things
    Downtime Option B) you may have actually experienced some downtime

    2. You didn't like his service, so you canceled - alright, when you cancel something, it is turned off (please correct me if I am wrong).

    3. Since you are an unhappy client, this company must be scamming people.
    No, what actually happened was exactly what I said:

    1. I signed up for hosting and everything was fine for almost a month.

    2. All of NY NOC was down for a long time early January.

    3. Throughout February, my VPS was rebooted often without any interaction from me and also down and up again many times. Overall uptime was far under 99.9%

    4. Near the end of February, the VPS went down, and has yet to come back up again.

    5. After a week or two into this downtime (earlier this week), I opened a ticket to cancel service on March 31.

    Do note that I was billed up to March 31, and NY NOC is (incorrectly) claiming I cancelled before Mar 1 yet refusing to refund even the Mar 1 - 31 period.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    527
    JohnJ, do you actually have any service with NYNOC right now or are you just basing your defence of them on the fact that when you used them the service worked out for you?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,790
    JohnJ, why are you getting involved with this?
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Simply stating my opinion.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,641
    JohnJ, werent you an employee of NYNOC?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Yes, and that does not effect my opinions on The New York NOC. There are some things that go on there that I don't agree with, just as there are things that I do agree with. My posts on this forum has absolutely nothing to do with any relationships, I'm just stating my opinion.

    It's not like I don't have hosting there.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,641
    You may not publish or discuss any information regarding your product or services, or future (possible) products or services, or any product or services you are, or have been, associated with. This includes, but not limited to suggesting your own services, or services of partners, clients, employers or friends.
    Just a reminder.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_M View Post
    Just a reminder.
    That's basically saying that I can't recommend him as a host?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,641
    Its saying that you cant offer any info about any of the hosts you have worked for or that are run by friends, family and so on.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    That's basically saying that I can't recommend him as a host?
    Bingo! You got it.

  24. #24
    Interesting how the only ones defending or even speaking positively on NY NOC either work or have worked there.

  25. #25
    I dont think there is a positive review of TheNYNOC.com! It's funny how they stop replying when the know they're cornered!

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    I dont think there is a positive review of TheNYNOC.com! It's funny how they stop replying when the know they're cornered!
    Well, to be honest, I do doubt they intentionally became scammers. I think that whole January outage really messed them up and they feel scamming people is necessary to stay in business.

    In my mind, they could still recover their reputation by sending backups to the people they shutdown unjustly, and (in my case, no idea about others') refunding the last month I paid for that I never received any service at all in.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by build-a-host View Post
    I dont think there is a positive review of TheNYNOC.com! It's funny how they stop replying when the know they're cornered!
    Actually, there are. We are not cornered. I feel there is no need to argue with certain people on a forum.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
    Well, to be honest, I do doubt they intentionally became scammers. I think that whole January outage really messed them up and they feel scamming people is necessary to stay in business.

    In my mind, they could still recover their reputation by sending backups to the people they shutdown unjustly, and (in my case, no idea about others') refunding the last month I paid for that I never received any service at all in.
    The January outage didn't hurt us in the least. You can certainly think that if you like though.

    We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services.

    In any case, to each his own and you can continue to think what you may.

    To all those other people reading this thread, know that we are and will never be scammers. Being in this business for a while already shows that we are in fact stable and will keep on running.

    Said clients in this thread who are complaining are simply a couple clients whom either expected managed services while paying for an unmanaged product or whom expected a service to stay online after they had cancelled.

    Thank you
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  29. #29
    Liars. I did not request cancellation until about 2 weeks after my VPS's current outage, and my request was to take effect AT THE END OF THE MONTH.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
    Liars. I did not request cancellation until about 2 weeks after my VPS's current outage, and my request was to take effect AT THE END OF THE MONTH.
    Did you follow proper cancellation procedure and submit a cancellation request through our billing system? No you did not. I am sorry you were unable to follow terms set in our TOS.

    As I said earlier, arguing here is a waste of time.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    Did you follow proper cancellation procedure and submit a cancellation request through our billing system? No you did not. I am sorry you were unable to follow terms set in our TOS.
    Yes, actually, I did. I opened a cancellation ticket exactly as laid out in the TOS, and never got a reply on it. If you are denying that I opened a ticket, did you then ASSUME I cancelled? Why? I was paid up through Mar 31 since I received the bill for Feb (I accidentally paid twice), so why would you assume I wanted to cancel before then? I don't recall making any mention of cancellation before opening my cancel support ticket (which specifically stated cancellation was to be at the END of the current/March service period).

  32. #32
    From: "Billing" <[email protected]>
    Date: 2008-03-06 12:33 pm
    Subject: [#UXS-970905]: Cancellation

    Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

    Ticket ID: UXS-970905
    Subject: Cancellation
    Department: Billing
    Priority: High
    Status: Open
    Until you received this, there was NO justification to claim I cancelled service.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St Petersburg Russia, San
    Posts
    36
    QED
    NY NOC ought to keep mouths shut before any more damage is done to their reputation. How can have such long down time not be a big hit to their reputation in their minds? I have no dog in this fight but as a bystander reading the posts, the client comes off as being level headed and calm when he had every reason to be blowing a gasket over the extended downtime. Conversely the people from NY NOC came off very badly, about as bad as having such long unexplained outages. This exchange has been enlightening.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by stanj View Post
    QED
    NY NOC ought to keep mouths shut before any more damage is done to their reputation. How can have such long down time not be a big hit to their reputation in their minds? I have no dog in this fight but as a bystander reading the posts, the client comes off as being level headed and calm when he had every reason to be blowing a gasket over the extended downtime. Conversely the people from NY NOC came off very badly, about as bad as having such long unexplained outages. This exchange has been enlightening.
    Thank you for your *insightful* post. No outage was ever "unexplained" so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. We do not have to "keep our mouths shut". If there is something that needs to be said such as stating the facts, then it will be said.

    Thank you
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shanghai,China
    Posts
    247

    Angry

    thenynoc said:

    [We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services."]


    Do you mean the $10-30/month paid customer is not important for you,you just care of the ones paid above of $30.If so,the company is so poor for us to stay with.
    Last edited by MIYU-HITORI; 03-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by MIYU-HITORI View Post
    thenynoc said:

    [We don't need to recover our reputation since it was never hurt. I find it funny/odd how the ~$10-30/month clients that always come to the forums saying how things didn't go "their" way and that their host is "scamming" them because they expected the world or didn't follow proper procedures for doing things or simply because they feel that even though they paid for unmanaged service, they feel they should get managed services."]


    Do you mean the $10-30/month paid customer is not important for you,you just care of the ones paid above of $30.If so,the company is so poor for us to stay with.
    No that is not what I mean. Please read my original post again.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc View Post
    No outage was ever "unexplained" so I am not sure how you come to that conclusion.
    During the January outage, a NY NOC employee promised that after it was resolved I would receive an explanation (including details on NY NOC's SLA) via email. I never received a word of it. That fits the definition of "unexplained" quite well, I think. The outages since January were certainly never acknowledged, even in public.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by PayPal
    We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor.
    Now if only I could manage to get a backup of the last filesystem image before NY NOC killed my service... (yes, I have my own backups, but there were changes in the hours before the VPS went down, mainly logs)

  39. #39
    I'm also having problems with these guys. I setup an account and paid immediately. My account sat in "pending" status for a while, so I checked with support. They told me that my server should be setup in a few hours.

    The next morning my account has been charged twice and refunded twice, and my account is in "fraud" status with no explaination. I used legitimate information to sign up, and contacted them to offer to call or send info to confirm my identity, but they did not respond.

    Had I proxied to Nigeria, or used conflicting information, or avoided them, I would understand the situation... But I provided legitimate contact and billing information.

    I certainly would not say "scam", but I would say their service is less than satisfactory.

  40. #40
    Perhaps their anti-fraud service raised a couple of red flags and they had to reject your payment for that reason.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •