SoftLayer - Good for Network Performance and Customer Support?

I need to get a couple of dedicated windows servers and am trying to decide between SoftLayer and a couple other providers.

So, how is SoftLayer for customer support, network performance/uptime, pricing, and just overall?

Any recommendations?

SoftLayer is great for unmanaged servers, if you can manage your own servers I recommend them. They also have a 3$ ticket for support issues you may need fixed.

I have used softlayer for over 2 years, and I have never had a problem!

This would be for unmanaged.

How would you rate them compared to other similar companies?

I've had several servers with SoftLayer and have had no problems so far. The few technical questions I've had for them have been answered quickly and professionally, and their infrastructure is quite complete - you can do most of what you might need through their control panel, and their internal network across datacenters is great for setting up a backup server in another location and syncing data on their private network.

The customer support is great, but do a search here for softlayer to see the issues with Level 3 Networks coming out of there... I signed up with them just a month ago, and moved to another provider just 10 days later due to slow connections between there and my home where I work. 150KB per second download speeds and it never gets better... even at night. That's only Houston to Dallas. Also, check out the Softlayer forums for the 10 page post on this very issue that has lasted 14 days without improvement.

I don't like to badmouth a provider, and this very well may not be Softlayer's fault, but it is a problem I am having out of that datacenter and I have a server in the same Infomart building that gets me my normal download speed of 1.37 MB per second.

So be advised... have a few folks you host go to the networks page on the softlayer site and download the 10MB test file and see if they are affected by this problem before you move your clients there.
    Robert Vining
    Roberts Web Design

back a while I searched for a dedicated server and done a lot of research and from all the reviews and the posts SoftLayer always was one of the best reviewed and people always had good things to say about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vining View Post
    The customer support is great, but do a search here for softlayer to see the issues with Level 3 Networks coming out of there... I signed up with them just a month ago, and moved to another provider just 10 days later due to slow connections between there and my home where I work. 150KB per second download speeds and it never gets better... even at night. That's only Houston to Dallas. Also, check out the Softlayer forums for the 10 page post on this very issue that has lasted 14 days without improvement.

I don't like to badmouth a provider, and this very well may not be Softlayer's fault, but it is a problem I am having out of that datacenter and I have a server in the same Infomart building that gets me my normal download speed of 1.37 MB per second.

So be advised... have a few folks you host go to the networks page on the softlayer site and download the 10MB test file and see if they are affected by this problem before you move your clients there.
    This isn't softlayers fault, it is a Level3 or possibly another providers issue and they are working on it according to the SL forums.