should I take an LXAdmin

I'm about to sign up with a VPS provider who offers free LXAdmin in a promo.

I don't have much experience with any management panel (used cPanel a few years ago) and am quite comfortable doing pretty much everything by hand (two exceptions mail and bind, which are a major pita, but I can suffer through setting up the former and outsource the latter to everydns.net).

The question is - should I take that panel? What benefits will I have?
    If I decide to take it:
    * will it get in a way? Say it'll prevent me from being able to manage apache's config myself.
    * will it hinder server's performance in any way when not used?

Oh, almost forgot to mention: it's a regular web server. Few ftp/ssh accounts, apache, php, mysql, few python apps (trac and moinmoin).

If your provider offers Lxadmin, chances are he also offers Hypervm that comes with several OS templates, with or without Lxadmin. You could then test Lxadmin and if you don't like it, you can just rebuild your VPS with another template
    Marie - Co-Owner
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !
    English, french and spanish support

Quote Originally Posted by muszek View Post
    I'm about to sign up with a VPS provider who offers free LXAdmin in a promo.

I don't have much experience with any management panel (used cPanel a few years ago) and am quite comfortable doing pretty much everything by hand (two exceptions mail and bind, which are a major pita, but I can suffer through setting up the former and outsource the latter to everydns.net).

The question is - should I take that panel? What benefits will I have?
    If I decide to take it:
    * will it get in a way? Say it'll prevent me from being able to manage apache's config myself.
    * will it hinder server's performance in any way when not used?

Oh, almost forgot to mention: it's a regular web server. Few ftp/ssh accounts, apache, php, mysql, few python apps (trac and moinmoin).
    I would recommend LxAdmin. It is a very easy control panel to use, and is comparable to cPanel. Give it a shot, you might just LOVE it!

The only issue I see is that if you use Lxadmin your kind of stuck using it. The larger control panel providers such as DA, Plesk, or Cpanel offer import scripts of almost any popular control panel. I am 90% sure that they still do not offer any type of scripts if you decide that Lxadmin is not for you.

LXAdmin is great for running hosting on low resources since it uses lighttpd. Although, I don't see it being that much of a promo seeing any VPS provider using VZ can obtain LXadmin for free.

Give the demo a try and see if you like it, lxlabs.com

LxAdmin is great, our customers who have tried it and cPanel prefer LxAdmin.

LxAdmin is not free, so it does cost the provider per VPS.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by vpsville View Post
    LxAdmin is great, our customers who have tried it and cPanel prefer LxAdmin.

LxAdmin is not free, so it does cost the provider per VPS.

Hmm, I keep hearing LXAdmin isn't free, but I've had quite a few licenses for many months and still have yet to be invoiced.

So let me ask you, what are you being charged for it then? Even on their site, it states if you use HyperVM, its $.50/VPS for HyperVM and includes Lxadmin free.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Hmm, I keep hearing LXAdmin isn't free, but I've had quite a few licenses for many months and still have yet to be invoiced.

So let me ask you, what are you being charged for it then? Even on their site, it states if you use HyperVM, its $.50/VPS for HyperVM and includes Lxadmin free.
    We don't use HyperVM so I can't comment on that 'free' offer (free steering wheel with purchase of car!!!).

We negotiated a bulk rate for LxAdmin after speaking to them directly. If you're getting it for free, we're jealous
    VPSVille.com

I have tested 2 LX servers about a year apart, both bought from members here, and niether of them were worth a darn.

Whether I used lighty or Apache they both lost the ability to serve wed pages at least once every 24 hours.

I can furnish names and IPs if anyone doubts my claims.
    Colbyt

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt View Post
    I have tested 2 LX servers about a year apart, both bought from members here, and niether of them were worth a darn.

Whether I used lighty or Apache they both lost the ability to serve wed pages at least once every 24 hours.

I can furnish names and IPs if anyone doubts my claims.
    This is very Odd. I have done some testing on LxAdmin and they seem to be GREAT! how long ago have you tested these?

I was somewhat shocked myself.

I had the first account for over a month and the second account for about a week.
    Colbyt

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt View Post
    I was somewhat shocked myself.

I had the first account for over a month and the second account for about a week.
    What provider did you go through?

If you are accepting PM's I will send you the info.

My intention is to not slam any host if I am not 100% sure of the facts.
    Colbyt

I received your PM

LxAdmin is excellent and is used by several online businesses we host. It is reliable and popular with people who try it.

Most customers still prefer cPanel though, it will take a while before LxAdmin becomes as popular.
    VPSVille.com

I'm running one of my VPSs on LxAdmin and I must say it serves me pretty well.
    When using lighttpd memory usage is really low (~50 MB - with all another services working [apache - 110MB]) .

Comparing it to world popular cPanel - there is no difference.
    cPanel has Fantastico - LxAdmin has InstallApp.
    The thing that has really suprised me - LxAdmin offers RoundCube webmail to be your default webmail app - thumbs up!

I've been running LXAdmin on a few servers now for about 3 months and have to say that I prefer it to the Plesk and CPanel servers I've had before.

I have to agree. I love LxAdmin, I would actually prefer it over cpanel