direct Credit card payment on my site

I want to receive Credit card payment directly on my site,
    is that I have to have my application calling API of some payment gateway? I don't know what payment gateway I can use,
    can anyone suggest some?

moreover, is that I need an internet merchant account to receive my money? how can I obtain such an account?

Hi

You dont need to get a merchant account.

You can use 2checkout (2CO) or Paypal Payflo and even Google Checkout.

All support API's.

You'll find its often quite hard to get a merchant account without trading history

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHOST View Post
    Hi
    You'll find its often quite hard to get a merchant account without trading history
    I didn't find it difficult to get a merchant account though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "trading history."

I dumped it at the time however because I didn't have the volume to justify the numerous fees involved. I just have customers use Paypal to do merchant/CC transactions - the percentage is flat and not significantly more than the normal percentages involved in regular CC merchant accounts and there are none of the numerous fees associated with having a normal merchant account.

I would say if you know you're pushing $10K or more per month in pure CC transactions I would look hard at a regular merchant account. Until then 2CO or Paypal work fine for most people.

Serverminds - I found it difficult in the UK to get one. They required 1 years worth of accounts from me...

It's NOT 'hard to get a merchant account without history'. In the U.S., it's quite easily done. OUtside, it's harder to get one anyways, and you're better off going with Paypal, WorldPay, or 2co (despite my major distaste for the fraud that is 2co)

If you're inside of the U.S., try cdgcommerce.com , they're incredible.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Thanks everyone for answering,
    I'm from Hong Kong and it's very hard for me to get a merchant account.
    So I think I should start off with Paypal, WorldPay or 2CheckOut,

As I need direct credit card payment on my site, I found that I cannot use Paypal payflow as it's not available in Hong Kong.

And its seems very difficult to register worldpay, a lot of paper processes.

And 2checkout seems takes a higher percentage than the others - 5.5% ,
    so the above 3 solutions seems not good,
    Can anyone suggest another payment gateway for receiving payament for Hong Kong web site which don't have an international merchant account?

Processors

You can try Jettis, YesYes, PaymentAsia or AsiaPay. They all support HK companies and I think all of them are based in HK as well.

There also is Universal iPayment (Hong Kong) Ltd for Hong Kong companies.

I believe I can help clarify the issue about establishing an account as a new company.

It is not necessarily difficult as a new company to get an account, but the two major factors that will impact how easy or difficult it may be are the risk associated with your product or service, and secondly, your trading volume requirement.

A product with a higher potential for fraud or a young company with a weak balance sheet and a high trading volume projection will have a tough time. In some cases they may need to ramp-up their volume over time.

For most businesses though you should be able to get an account relatively easily, even as a young or start-up company. (Being in HK or anywhere for that matter should not stop this from being true - these concepts should apply more or less in any territory).

I had written an article about this in more detail but I don't believe that I'm allowed to link to other websites with my content from WHT. Anyway - if you have more questions about it let me know.
    David Goodale
    Merchant Accounts.ca
    Canada's merchant account provider.
    Toll free: (888) 414-7111 ext. 5 | Direct: (905) 901-2254

I think that you have to use that getways which is trusted by your potential customers. If I were your potential customer I'd never pay directly for you with my credit card, uless you use trusted payment getway like 2CO.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    I think that you have to use that getways which is trusted by your potential customers. If I were your potential customer I'd never pay directly for you with my credit card, uless you use trusted payment getway like 2CO.
    This is precisely why you OFFER alternatives like Paypal and google checkout. 2CO a trusted provider? Doubtful. Worldpay, maybe, 2CO definitely not
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

The transaction can be broken down into about seven steps
    • Authorization
    • Merchant Balancing
    • Capture
    • Capture
    • Interchange (V/MC Only)
    • Interchange (V/MC Only)
    • Merchant ACH
    The electronic payment gateway will virtually connect your website to a transaction processor.

Now if you are not in the United States but have a United States Bank Account, you still might be eligible for a United States merchant account. Unfortunately you are usually limited to $10,000.00 a month processing, have a 4% discount rate, and a 5-day ACH hold.

You can get a United States bank account without a SSN (as long as it is not interest bearing). Walking into a bank in the United States, you satsify the YKYC (you know your customer) regulation. Bank of America is one bank that will easily give you a checking account.

Another way to possibly satisfy this requirement is to check with some of your local banks to see if that have a relationship with a bank in the United States. Don't rule out any bank. Some of the smaller banks might have a relationship as well as your larger banks.

Quote Originally Posted by serverminds View Post
    I would say if you know you're pushing $10K or more per month in pure CC transactions I would look hard at a regular merchant account. Until then 2CO or Paypal work fine for most people.

That is odd... when I moved over from things like paypal/2checkout, etc I found it made sense to move at about $1000 in online sales. That was some years ago now (maybe 7).... guess things have changed.

I've found my merchant account to be very cheap, when compared with the rates by 2checkout/paypal. Although, paypal can get cheap, but I don't use them enough to bring the rates down.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    That is odd... when I moved over from things like paypal/2checkout, etc I found it made sense to move at about $1000 in online sales. That was some years ago now (maybe 7).... guess things have changed.
    Yea, you may be right. I realized after I re-read my post that's a rather high estimate. You'd just have to look closely at the numbers and see where a split to a regular merchant account makes sense, taking into account all the fees associated with having a merchant account. I would say it's probably reasonable if you're averaging at least $1K a month in CC transactions.

It depends on the country, but in the United States it is usually better. Some think this is not important but I have to object. Getting your money is usually the best thing, right? And with a merchant account, your money is deposited into your bank account within 48-72 hours usually after the batch is completed. If you do the math and look at what you might earn if the money if in your interest bearing account you might make money with your money.

No its not very hard ,
    you just need to setup a business bank account then visa , mastercard ,amex , etc will help you to process credit cards direct in your website