HellO! Hosting Server Question.....

Helloooooooooo....!!!

I have decided i want to create and host a server in my home. But i have a couple questions i hope you professionals could answer

1. This question is about my isp.. i currently have comcast.. when i connect my server to the internet do i just connect it to my router.. is there anything special i must do? do i have to have a new ip for the server? will comcast kick me for having a server? what is it i should know? watch out for?

Well you would need to install a "webserver" so to speak, usually apache etc

However it is against many many ISPS terms to use their connection for hosting websites.

I'd reccomend spending the bucks on shared hosting as it will probably end up being cheaper, more reliable and alot less hassle.

Well hopefully
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

It's really not worth it to host your own website at home to save money. The power bill alone for running most comps 24/7 is like $20+ a month. If you want to do it for the experience, then set up computer with a web server and look into a service like dyndns.org and setup port forwarding on your router.

Yes well I would like the experience of trying out many of the unix based operating systems to find one that i like for a server.. also i'd like to get the experience of installing a web server and securing it...

does anyone know if comcast would have anything against it.?

edit: chris just saw your post.. will check it out.

Well, go ask comcast or something "but" since you are doing this for experience as long as you do not have medium/heavy traffic flowing through that server, and its just mild they wont even question it. So just be kinda on the down side of bandwidth usage and it should be ok!
    BlueWire-Hosting - Well priced, and affordable hosting. With a helping staff and blazing support!
    cPanel/WHM • RvSkins • Fantastico de Luxe • 24/7 Support
    PHP5 With Rewrite for PHP4 • SiteBuilder • Ruby On Rails • Perl • mySql
    | Custom Plans Available | Resellers | Shared |

How much traffic would you say would be considered on the down side.

Comcast runs port sniffers and analyzes their user traffic for web servers and the like regularly.

If you try running a web server on a consumer (not business) Comcast connection you will likely receive an e-mail, regular mail, or both not too long after you do so.

It is against their Terms of Use to host any website business or personal on a consumer (non business) account.

At least it was last time I checked, about 5 months ago - and this is unlikely to have changed.

You have three options. 1 - Upgrade your Comcast Account to a business cable connection (expensive). 2 - Ask Comcast if you can do what you are asking for the sake of learning, and promise not to use too much transfer in the process (if it helps to do so), 3 - Do it without doing 1 or 2 and hope they don't pull the plug.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Ahhh damit.. What other option do i have.. that'll give me a lot of freedom.

If you're wanting the experience of managing a web server
    1. You can try contacting Comcast and see if they'll let you do it.
    2. You can upgrade your Comcast plan to be able to host your own web server (will cost more $$$).
    3. You can purchase a VPS (Costs money, but there are good rates out there)
    4. Do it on Comcast anyways and hope you don't get caught.

Other than that, I don't know any cheap ways to gain the experience other than messing with it on LAN. Others surely will have more ideas than me.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Hmm.. im leaning towards number 4 lol. But then if i get screwed it will affect 5 other people that use it heheh.. anyways i'll look into the vps

thanks for all the tips.

They won't shut your service off if they "catch" you, they'll simply ask you to either stop doing it or upgrade your plan. Not that I condone violating the terms of use.

oh well even better.. thanks for the info =)...................... one more thing..................................... if most isps dont allow where is it most of these hosting companys host...?

Datacenters... at least the reputable ones do.

but dont datacenters need to have an isp?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Comcast runs port sniffers and analyzes their user traffic for web servers and the like regularly.

If you try running a web server on a consumer (not business) Comcast connection you will likely receive an e-mail, regular mail, or both not too long after you do so.

It is against their Terms of Use to host any website business or personal on a consumer (non business) account.

At least it was last time I checked, about 5 months ago - and this is unlikely to have changed.

You have three options. 1 - Upgrade your Comcast Account to a business cable connection (expensive). 2 - Ask Comcast if you can do what you are asking for the sake of learning, and promise not to use too much transfer in the process (if it helps to do so), 3 - Do it without doing 1 or 2 and hope they don't pull the plug.
    I've been running a server on comcast for over 3 years.

do you have a regular home plan? and do you get a lot of traffic?!?

Well it's just as I said that you can get a Business account thru Comcast to be able to host your own web services from home. Datacenters pay quite a bit of money for their upstream and downstream providers (their ISPs) to give them the bandwidth they need to be able to offer their services.

oh ic... chris do you have a home plan or business plan from comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    I've been running a server on comcast for over 3 years.
    It happens - I have friends who run servers themselves and 2 out of the 3 have gotten e-mails. It's like I said, you can get away with it, but you can also get caught. The one who has not gotten an email has been running the server for about 4 years.

It's just like driving a car - you *can* go 60mph on a public highway in a 40mph zone, and the law says that you should not go above a marked speed of 40mph. Just because you go over it, or make a habit of going over it a lot does not mean you will get caught, but it doesn't mean you won't get caught either. And not getting caught does not make it any more or less legal to do so.
    Last edited by Mike - MDDHosting; 03-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.