Question Is it necessary to notify host that I won't renew?

I had problems with my old host so I've just moved my website to another host. I've been having problems with my old host and I've try to contact them but their support ticket system thing doesn't seem to work, so I stop trying.. and now the host will soon expire, so would it be alright if I just ignore their invoice? I read their TOS and Privacy Policy but it didn't mention anything about this.. So I was wondering that they won't be able to charge me for not notifying them in advance right? I use paypal to pay, so they can't just automatically take out my money right? (I don't think there was an automatic option anyway, but just in case)

If it specifies how you have to cancel, make sure you make your best attempt to do so. Usually this information is in a knowledgebase or FAQ and is often listed in the ToS itself.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Professionally, Yes.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I agree professionally try your best to let them know your not renewing your service with them.
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

If you are using paypal. Remember to also cancel your subscription so paypal won't automatically bill your credit card. Once you cancel the subscription, paypal should automatically sends out cancellation notice to your host.

We would suggest to also contact your host as well as not matter how your host was, they have spent some time and done some work for you and it is a good hobbit to end things. You have nothing to lose.
    RVSkin, RVSiteBuilder, Triple Backup, Unlimited End-user Support Reseller Hosting
    Sales Team from TheMagicHost.com

Yup, But keep in mind that some hosts don't check billing tickets as much as support tickets. I canceled via a ticket to the Billing dept and 2 weeks later got an e-mail that my account was terminated for non payment. LOL

At least I tried.

It's a good practice to try and cancel, it's just a courtesy thing. However, if the host prevents it or isn't answering it, I wouldn't worry about it. If you put a ticket in to have it cancelled, your work is done. Like some others said though, I would follow the procedures set forth in the TOS. If you've followed those, you've done everything you're supposed to do.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

You should definitely tell them you're cancelling the account. Usually the host assumes you will stay with them until you tell them otherwise. And usually the host has your credit card on file - although in your case, since you're using PayPal, you can get away with simply cancelling the subscription via your PayPal interface.

In general, I tell people to make sure they follow the procedure specified by the host when you cancel - some companies make you jump thru hoops...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Most hosts will require notification of cancellation, otherwise they will continue to bill you, even if you are not using the service.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Well not all host require it, just cancel your subscription for it. If the have not answered and you have tried to contact them several times, its not your fault.
    BlueWire-Hosting - Well priced, and affordable hosting. With a helping staff and blazing support!
    cPanel/WHM RvSkins Fantastico de Luxe 24/7 Support
    PHP5 With Rewrite for PHP4 SiteBuilder Ruby On Rails Perl mySql
    | Custom Plans Available | Resellers | Shared |

Well some hosts need to file a cancellation ticket and if you don't pay can end up turning you over to collections + late fees and thats not a place you want to be in
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Give them just a little advice that your are not renewing with them.

It depends on the fact if your account is renewed automatically or not.

I would warn them for courtesy as long as they have treated you properly, but for example this host where I am now, and I have paid a year in advance, is not going to get any warning once the term is over as they been ignoring my support requests.

I am not writing a review because it is a one man company, and not really known, I 'll be surprise if they dont go bust, I have learnt though to always stick to monthly payments when possible, hosts respond better to your support requests then.

all it takes is a simple email.. why not?
    Jon Black

How often you pay usually has little to do with how responsive the host is. Generally billing and support are two different departments. When it comes to a small host or a one man operation, this may not be the case - but this is where the process in which you choose your host comes into play.

It depends on your contract, for some hosts, it is auto renewal unless terminated in advance. But in any case, it would be common courtesy to just tell your host you are leaving. One piece of advice though, before doing that, ensure you backup everything. I had seen hosts wipe out all data of clients who are leaving. Some may hold domains ransom. Can be quite an ugly scene.

I must say that the vast majority are ok, but there may be some bad hats around. Better be safe than sorry.

Greetings savvyleah (thread starter):

Yes, it is important to notify your host that you have left their service.

Most providers have a cancellation policy that must be followed which includes notification; and for many, it is common to have a x-day notification policy where you must notify them x days in advance, and you are billed for the entire x day period.

Please note hosting is like many services -- cell phone, apartment rental, etc. Just because you stopped using the cell phone, doesn't mean the provider knows you are not using it (they may see zero minutes, but there's still a monthly). Just because you moved everything out of your apartment in the middle of the night (so to write), doesn't mean your landlord knows about it.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Thank you everyone for your respose, well I've contact my host about it. I made a support ticket on March 17th and they replied asking if I was sure, and I replied back saying yes, and now they've closed that ticket, but today I just received an e-mail with an Overdue invoice... (my payment date was on the 24th) so should I be worried about this? the person that I talk to didn't even say anything after my response...or maybe they haven't removed me from their database yet? (this was my first host, so I'm kind of lost)

Quote Originally Posted by savvyleah View Post
    Thank you everyone for your respose, well I've contact my host about it. I made a support ticket on March 17th and they replied asking if I was sure, and I replied back saying yes, and now they've closed that ticket, but today I just received an e-mail with an Overdue invoice... (my payment date was on the 24th) so should I be worried about this? the person that I talk to didn't even say anything after my response...or maybe they haven't removed me from their database yet? (this was my first host, so I'm kind of lost)
    As long as you do not use their service, haven't paid them, and keep evidence that you contacted them and informed them you were cancelling their service you should be fine.

You might want to start a new ticket and tell them that you requested to cancel your service (and give the old ticket number) and inform them in the new ticket that they need to close the account as you haven't used it since the end of the previous payment period and you have no plans to renew.

Manners cost nothing, so let them know you don't intend renewing their services. Also cancel you're subscription if you have one.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

The nice thing to do would be to do so. If you dont let them know, sometimes you will just keep receiving invoices.

Quote Originally Posted by Net View Post
    Professionally, Yes.
    It goes both ways too i feel, even a provider of a service should tell their client that hey we going to terminate today/tomorrow your services.

Without notice termination is not professional be it by client or by service provider.

Cheers