Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    VPS buying advice (reliability over cost)

    Hi,

    I need a very reliable VPS with the following specs:

    • I must be able to install custom software. Mostly this will be a TurboGears application. I hope most hosting provides will let one install whatever software is needed.
    • Cost is not an issue, reliability is.


    I have been looking at VPS Land. Any advise highly appreciated!

    Caio,
    Shuveb Hussain.
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    Shuveb, welcome to WHT.
    I hope most hosting provides will let one install whatever software is needed.
    I do think so. I would recommend you have a look at unmanaged VPS. And I recomend you find few companies (do not consider only one) and compare them. Maybe sighnup for a month with each of them and compare feeling (if money not an option). Each user here has own point of view an the best and most realible VPS provider
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    Shuveb, welcome to WHT.
    Thankyou.

    I am actually in a hurry and can't afford to try a few companies out right now. But like you say, probably I need to checkout a couple of guys. I was just seeing if someone would throw some names they've had good experiences with so that I could go ahead and buy.
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

  4. #4
    You can try powervps.com. if cost is not an issue why not go for a dedicated server? VPS could never match the performance of dedicated server as cpu and HDD is still shared.
    VPS user reviews coming soon!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    201
    I can give you a couple to look at. Both offer instant os reinstall.

    Openvz = Rapidvps.com (excellent support)
    Usermode linux, xen = linode.com (excellent support)

    Both are excellent..both have very good control panels.

    I should add:
    Virtuozzo=tektonic.net. Outstanding 90 day money back guarantee,
    instant os install, good control panel.
    Last edited by fbroce; 03-12-2008 at 07:58 AM.

  6. #6
    powervps.com seems to serve the high-end VPS needs. It is a good lead, thanks. I could go in for a dedicated server, but my budget is for a reliable VPS not for a dedicated server
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    271
    Check out WiredTree as well. Nothing but great reviews for them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    322
    If you're going the unmanaged VPS route, also check out ServerAxis - they don't seem to do too much advertising, but they have a very good offering. I've had one of their Xen VPSs for about 8 months and their service is very reliable (zero downtime so far), fast network and support questions get answered quickly.

  9. #9
    Thanks fred b,

    Any idea what the average time is from payment to setup e-mail?
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Panopta View Post
    I've had one of their Xen VPSs for about 8 months and their service is very reliable (zero downtime so far), fast network and support questions get answered quickly.
    Hmm... I was never thinking about Xen VPSs and I also guess 8 months is a pretty decent time to estimate downtimes. I will check it out, thanks.
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Duluth, GA
    Posts
    201
    The three I mentioned are very fast. Rapidvps is almost instant. The other two are are within an hour at most...assuming you pay by cc.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by binarykarma View Post
    powervps.com seems to serve the high-end VPS needs. It is a good lead, thanks. I could go in for a dedicated server, but my budget is for a reliable VPS not for a dedicated server
    Also if possible go with a provider using SAS, this would have huge boost in performance
    VPS user reviews coming soon!

  13. #13
    Hello,

    If you are looking for reliability, I sugest that you look at the SLAs that the providers give you as well the hardware on witch you VPS will run.

    Respectable providers usually provide SLAs that refund you should a problem arrise that affects the network or server uptime SLA (Altough this type of providers are usually a bit more expensive)

    Regards,
    Jorge Luis

  14. #14

    ServerAxis Sucks

    I don't recommend serveraxis at all.

    They seem to be just one or two people.

    I had a question in for 10 days to their billing department. I was corresponding with them about my account being down. I have been traveling extensively and didn't have time to figure out why the payment wasn't working and they deleted my account without warning. It was admittedly a couple of months but the last message they sent me was that they could restore my account and I told them several times that I was traveling and was definitely going to pay.

    Then it took me 5 emails and 10 days before they replied to my inquiry about not being able to log in.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    1,449

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by binarykarma View Post
    • I must be able to install custom software. Mostly this will be a TurboGears application. I hope most hosting provides will let one install whatever software is needed.
    • Cost is not an issue, reliability is.

    Most managed vps providers will install what is required for your applications to run. If you're looking for unmanaged, you shouldn't have a problem installing whatever you need... you've got full root access
    Kaumil P.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ring0
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by inflector View Post
    I don't recommend serveraxis at all.

    They seem to be just one or two people.

    I had a question in for 10 days to their billing department. I was corresponding with them about my account being down. I have been traveling extensively and didn't have time to figure out why the payment wasn't working and they deleted my account without warning. It was admittedly a couple of months but the last message they sent me was that they could restore my account and I told them several times that I was traveling and was definitely going to pay.

    Then it took me 5 emails and 10 days before they replied to my inquiry about not being able to log in.
    If you had put even half this much effort into paying your bills instead of trolling on a forum you wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.
    SERVERAXIS The arms dealer for startups
    SSD VPS and HDD Storage VPS
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers
    Chicago - Miami

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerDave View Post
    If you had put even half this much effort into paying your bills instead of trolling on a forum you wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.
    Wow, nice attitude. That sure makes you guys look good.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    ring0
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Wow, nice attitude. That sure makes you guys look good.
    This is just one of several repeated copy & paste "troll" posts this guy has made on various threads...
    SERVERAXIS The arms dealer for startups
    SSD VPS and HDD Storage VPS
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers
    Chicago - Miami

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •