Thread: DCDiag

DCDiag

im trying to install Exchange Server 2003 and going through the checklist. I have made my WS2003 EE R2 into a domain, has a manually configured DHCP/DNS (I have 2 IP's). I have also updated my NS on my domain to point to the hoster's NS.

but when running the tool i get this error and dont know how to resolve it:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\servername
    Starting test: Connectivity
    The host 6a8e8b3f-d1c1-4577-8034-3b84538e0121._msdcs.domain-herec
    ould not be resolved to an
    IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    Although the Guid DNS name
    (6a8e8b3f-d1c1-4577-8034-3b84538e0121._msdcs.domain-here)
    couldn't be resolved, the server name (spapps.sandlerltd.co.uk)
    resolved to the IP address (IP.Address.Here.xxx) and was pingable. Check
    that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... servername failed test Connectivity

It looks like the Active Directory DNS entries aren't set right (if they exist at all). What kind of BIND/DNS are you using?

well all i did was create the server into an Active Directory following through the wizard, reboot and did the above.

The NIC/network settings i have entered manually since those are the settings given to me by the provider (hoster) as I have 2 IP's assigned to my account.

So I have manually entered DNS and IP Address and Subnet Mask info in order for it to be able to have network connectivity.

Ok... so it appears that it's not doing lookups directly against your AD's DNS server.

Check your NIC's DNS settings and make sure that it primary is pointing to the DNS server that you configured with Active Directory. Also check the eventlogs to make sure there are no DNS issues and that the service is running. If you're installing Exchange on a server that is also the DNS/AD server, you should set the DNS settings for the nic to preference 127.0.0.1 or the external IP of the server so that it loops back into itself.

well im in the process of transferring my domain to the server - still waiting for DNS updates on that.

hmm now, the domain I set the server up with (say, abc.com) - the domain "abc.com" is in the process of having its DNS/namesevers updated.

Now, exchange will be running on the same server as the AD server. Does this help? What should I do?

in regards to the domain settings, I have changed the nameservers and also changed the "www" and "A" records to point to the IP Address of the server (the secondary IP Address)

does this help? Sorry, im new to all this

this is the warning i get in the eventlogs:

The DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name. Its DNS name is a single label hostname with no domain (example: "host" rather than "host.microsoft.com").

You might have forgotten to configure a primary DNS domain for the server computer. For more information, see either "DNS server log reference" or "To configure the primary DNS suffix for a client computer" in the online Help.

While the DNS server has only a single label name, all zones created will have default records (SOA and NS) created using only this single label name for the server's hostname. This can lead to incorrect and failed referrals when clients and other DNS servers use these records to locate this server by name.

To correct this problem:
    1) open Control Panel
    2) open System applet
    3) select Computer Name tab
    4) click the "Change" button and join the computer to a domain or workgroup; this name will be used as your DNS domain name
    5) reboot to initialize with new domain name

After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up default records, substituting new DNS name of this server, for old single label name. However, you should review to make sure zone's SOA and NS records now properly use correct domain name of this server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    ??

Well, those parts don't matter as much as making sure that your server does lookups on it's own DNS server first (ie: 127.0.0.1 or the external facing IP).

Once you confirm that it's doing lookups against itself *first* you can continue your Exchange 2003 installation. The original error is talking about not being able to talk to your AD-Integrated DNS server. When you look at the extra subdomains in your AD-Integrated DNS server, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk1010 View Post
    this is the warning i get in the eventlogs:

??
    Right. I'd check your server properties (start-rtclick Mycomputer-properties) and make sure that it's showing the correct server name and domain. If it's a domain controller, it should have been set to a domain (since you can't change it once it's joined).

If what you see isn't correct, you'll have to demote your AD and make the changes then redo AD (dcpromo).

hmmm sorry im still new to this and don't follow.

1) how do i get it to "talk to itself"? What exactly do I need to look for and configure?

in regards to the last error in the event logs.... when i right click on my computer > properties > Computer Name:

full computer name: computer-name.[domainName].co.uk
    Domain: domainName.co.uk

Cool... so things are set in those respects.

Open your network adapter/tcp-ip properties.
    Make sure under DNS Servers that either 127.0.0.1 is first on the list or the external (internet facing) IP is first. If not, add it and make sure that it's first in the lookup order.

You might also want to add [domainname].co.uk to the DNS suffix box in the same window as the DNS server just to associate the interface to your domain.

the external IP is first on the list, followed by the second IP on the list.

and now added the [domainname].co.uk to the DNS Suffix box. (right click local network connections > properties > TCP/IP > Properties > Advanced > DNS Tab > "DNS Suffix for this connection: domainName.co.uk")

however running that tool, DCDiag, I still get the same error

ok, im now getting a different result. the domain is now configured..... (the domain name). any ideas on what to do here:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\computername
    Starting test: Connectivity
    *** Warning: could not confirm the identity of this server in
    the directory versus the names returned by DNS servers.
    If there are problems accessing this directory server then
    you may need to check that this server is correctly registered
    with DNS
    ......................... computernamepassed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\computername
    Starting test: Replications
    ......................... computernamepassed test Replications
    Starting test: NCSecDesc
    ......................... computernamepassed test NCSecDesc
    Starting test: NetLogons
    ......................... computernamepassed test NetLogons
    Starting test: Advertising
    ......................... computernamepassed test Advertising
    Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
    ......................... computernamepassed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
    Starting test: RidManager
    ......................... computernamepassed test RidManager
    Starting test: MachineAccount
    ......................... computernamepassed test MachineAccount
    Starting test: Services
    ......................... computernamepassed test Services
    Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
    ......................... computernamepassed test ObjectsReplicated
    Starting test: frssysvol
    ......................... computernamepassed test frssysvol
    Starting test: frsevent
    ......................... computernamepassed test frsevent
    Starting test: kccevent
    ......................... computernamepassed test kccevent
    Starting test: systemlog
    An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000423
    Time Generated: 03/13/2008 13:24:47
    Event String: The DHCP service failed to see a directory server
    ......................... computernamefailed test systemlog
    Starting test: VerifyReferences
    ......................... computernamepassed test VerifyReferences

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
    Starting test: CrossRefValidation
    ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation

Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
    ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
    ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation

......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Schema
    ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation
    ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Configuration
    ......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation
    ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : sandlerltd
    ......................... sandlerltd passed test CrossRefValidation
    ......................... sandlerltd passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running enterprise tests on : domainname.co.uk
    Starting test: Intersite
    ......................... domainname.co.uk passed test Intersite
    Starting test: FsmoCheck
    ......................... domainname.co.uk passed test FsmoCheck

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk1010 View Post
    ok, im now getting a different result. the domain is now configured..... (the domain name). any ideas on what to do here:
    Do you have the DHCP server running? In a hosted environment, you shouldn't be running this as it will cause havoc with others. Make sure it's not installed or at least not authorized to serve out IP's.

The first one was a warning so I'm not overly concerned about it. The only piece there to check is to make sure the DNS client cache is flushed so that it pulls only current info from your DNS server. ipconfig /flushdns

But I don't see any other problems why you couldn't continue installing Exchange 2003.

I just cleared out all event log entries and just redid DCDiag - no errors at all now, but only that first warning

ill turn of DHCP now....

ok, now running the netdiag tool and I get this failure.

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS se
    rver 'DNS Server IP'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS se
    rver 'Second DNS Server IP'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.
    remember, the 2 DNS Server IP's are configured static and provided by the hoster
    Last edited by firehawk1010; 03-13-2008 at 09:24 PM.