Do Dedicated server providers oversell bandwidth

I had a question.

Do dedicated server providers oversell their bandwidth? Here are some examples.

ThePlanet offers 2500GB bandwidth.
    Softlayer offers 2000GB bandwidth
    LiquidWeb offers 4800GB bandwidth

Typically no. Bandwidth gets cheaper per meg with the more you buy (as a rule of thumb). Most providers have capacity well beyond what they are offering to each client standard, however many clients do not utilize anywhere near the full amount of their allotted bandwidth. This is not overselling, since the bandwidth is actually there to potentially be completely used.

I'm sure there are some companies out there that oversell their bandwidth, but I do not know of any off hand.
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    I had a question.

Typically yes, if everyone used up all 2500GB on the Planet and everyone used all 2000GB on softlayer they would go out of business, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    I had a question.

Yes. Most of them do.

1 Mbit = ~330 GB. Cost/Mbit is $10-$25. You can do the math and see what pricing is.

Kind Regards,
    Last edited by utropicmedia-karl; 03-11-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Just a tip: the bandwidth on LW is 2400in + 2400out, chances are you will mostly be using the outgoing bandwidth, and only a low portion of the incoming bw, depending on what you use the server for.

Yes. Bandwidth is pretty much by definition oversold.

I guess this is what it feels like to be wrong. Haha, I figured the day would finally come. Its hard to be perfect ALL the time

Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available

Well, there are two types of overselling.

Yes, when a provider lists 2500 gigs of bandwidth on a server, if all their customers used it all up, they would lose money. This is the case for most providers and it is pretty standard these days. It's only a card providers play. As a whole, most customers don't even get near the limit. And some providers do list realistic limits where bandwidth is not oversold (they either list bandwidth in the hundreds of gigs, or their price is in the hundreds of dollars).

There is another kind of overselling when a provider sells more capacity than they do have. This results in their pipes being maxed out during peak times. That provider is one you should avoid, as it would be a technical impossibility for you to use your bandwidth quota, let alone have a site that performs smoothly 24/7.

My 2 Centavos.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    Typically no. Bandwidth gets cheaper per meg with the more you buy (as a rule of thumb). Most providers have capacity well beyond what they are offering to each client standard, however many clients do not utilize anywhere near the full amount of their allotted bandwidth. This is not overselling, since the bandwidth is actually there to potentially be completely used.

I'm sure there are some companies out there that oversell their bandwidth, but I do not know of any off hand.
    Don't you guys have your own servers and network? If so, I am sorry but I do not believe you. I don't believe that for every server you have online you have sufficient guaranteed bandwith 24 x 7 because you would be the first company anywhere to do so.

Its always economies of scale.

I KNOW IBM/Q9/Fusepoint/Intria-HP all do this so I doubt anyone else is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Don't you guys have your own servers and network? If so, I am sorry but I do not believe you. I don't believe that for every server you have online you have sufficient guaranteed bandwith 24 x 7 because you would be the first company anywhere to do so.

Its always economies of scale.

I KNOW IBM/Q9/Fusepoint/Intria-HP all do this so I doubt anyone else is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    I guess this is what it feels like to be wrong. Haha, I figured the day would finally come. Its hard to be perfect ALL the time

Everybody makes a mistake on occasion.