Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    68

    parallels... what is going on ?

    We are a partner or parallels / swsoft... We always purchased our licenses, all of them and paid the yearly SUS...

    They contacted us because they want to change our agreement and want us to purchase leased licenses only...

    What will happen with previously owned licenses ??? We were able this year to pay the SUS but next year will it be the case ??

    Have you been in that case also ??? Please paste your comments / opinions here...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    447
    I think you need to ask the provider what will happen to the owned licenses.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,441
    http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=51375

    There's a small conversation about it going on here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=51375

    There's a small conversation about it going on here.
    As far as I heard, owned licenses are being phased out in favor of monthly leases (whose price rose a little while ago, if I am not mistaken).

    One would assume they would continue to honor the owned license agreements, but would just simply stop offering new owned licenses.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  5. #5
    Well... at least you can get the license.
    I bought H-Sphere licenses from the reseller panel few days ago. I still haven't got it. Sent a few emails and still no one replies.

  6. #6
    its only happen to plesk or also to another parallels products like Virtuozzo? because i will buy virtuozzo....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,675
    After seeing a thread like this, it makes me glad I chose an alternate control panel when I had considered Plesk just a few months ago now.

  8. #8
    I never had any good experience working with Plesk and one of the biggest reason quitting Plesk was their business ethics & customer support. And this thread proves it.


    Blessed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    762
    I've had numerous problems with Plesk over the year and a half I've used it, I've finally made the switch from windows/plesk to centos/cpanel, should have done it quite a while ago.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    287
    I am pretty much sure that very soon Parallels will enforce new License policies for Helm customers. That would be a straight punch on users face

    Time to say Good bye parallel products

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by vynx_1999 View Post
    its only happen to plesk or also to another parallels products like Virtuozzo? because i will buy virtuozzo....
    All products with in sometime. This is the model the CEO of Parallels is speaking all over conferences. Softwares as a Service. Virtuozzo is since a long time a based on monthly fees. So you will pay for each VPS account. Or if you want to own the licenses its very expensive and then have a to pay a maintaince fee which is the same. So yes, they actually implemented this model with Virtuozzo before Plesk. It will be with monthly fees in the future as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saksher View Post
    I never had any good experience working with Plesk and one of the biggest reason quitting Plesk was their business ethics & customer support. And this thread proves it.


    Blessed.
    You just said exactly the reasons why where are moving all the company over to Cpanel. We are dumping Plesk for good because we dont want to be in the hands of this business called Parallels. Their business tactics just make me want to trow up. Plesk is heavy overpriced even open source panels have more functions and work better. Im sick of their spam over my customers and the model where they charge you for things i can get for free. If i just wanted a nice interface i would have choosed a long time another CP. Cpanel is the leader since 10 years, i used plesk for 4. It really imagined Plesk would overcome Cpanel this last 3 years. Nothing more far from true. Cpanel is getting better and Plesk is even sucking more. Gladly im switching to Cpanel. I just hope i had done this before.
    Last edited by nibb; 03-16-2008 at 12:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    449
    nibb,

    If Cpanel is bought by Parallels your going to be in the same boat. Best way to guarantee that not happening is find a open source or custom solution.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuyz View Post
    custom solution.
    Trust me, that is going to cost you MUCH more then just eating up the yearly lease costs and going with Parallels Plesk.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuyz View Post
    nibb,

    If Cpanel is bought by Parallels your going to be in the same boat. Best way to guarantee that not happening is find a open source or custom solution.
    Technically this isn't possible, Linux Cpanel is far far good l than plesk linux... and I am pretty much sure that cpanel has more linux base clients than plesk linux.

    Now if cpanel are getting good recurring then why would they think about Merge... infact they have ability to acquire plesk...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    A custom solution is expensive. But it all depends on your business size. I have seing many, many small companies that have developed their own solutions. And several of them had Plesk in the past. At some point of grow a company realizes its cheaper to develop their own products then to have to share profits with Parallels on a recurring method. This applies to Plesk only, since Plesk is just the control panel. If you where to implement all Parallels products it will costs you ALLOT. This is the reason why Parallels could not sell and move 1and1 platforms to Parallels. They have also tried to convince other companies to move from their solutions to Parallels. They have only a big success with small companies that cannot afford a developing team. From the worlds top 5 hosting companies not one uses Plesk or Parallels they all use their own solutions.
    This is different for Cpanel. We have seing very big companies that use Cpanel like Hostgator.

    I have also come to that idea, if Cpanel is bought by Parallels we are going to be in the same boat eventually. Yes and no.

    First i have talked to Cpanel and they said they are indepent and they plan to stay that way. Their mission is to develop the best panel for webhosts. Believe it or not its true since the company has the same name as the panel Cpanel Inc. they are not focused on developing other products they focus and dedicated to their panel, thats why the name of a company with the same product name gives trust. It will not be easy just to drop the name or develop other products under that name. Parallels has left Plesk developing for a long time. They have so many products they care less or more about Plesk. Cpanel is another story. They live from Cpanel and they are still the number 1 in 11 years in the market. Plesk is number two but I was sure it would be first in some years. I waited 4 years and Plesk got better but cpanel got even better. They cannot keep up with Cpanel. Cpanel is focused on their job. Plesk doesnt improve their panel since at least 1 year or more. Plesk goes the paid approach where cpanel goes the user requests approach. Most addons for Plesk are paid and they will be paid in the future. They integrate only with things that give them profit. Cpanel in the other way develops what the hosting community is in need and requests. They are faster implementing techologies and they stay the free approach. Of course you can develops paid things for Cpanel but that is a client choose and they decide if they want or not use that module. Plesk forces you as only option. They are very different in this way. Plesk is more a closed system where Cpanel is more open and developing friendly. This is the reason why plesk has never implemented ClamAV on their panel. Because they sell Kaspersky and Dr.Web Module Antivirus. Putting a free antivirus just doesnt give them income. Since 2 years every panel paid or free has ClamAv and open source modules for free, where plesk tries to sell them as an extra like Spamassin or Tomcat which are free but Plesk decides to sell you this as addons.

    Even when Cpanel would be bought by Parallels they would not merge it to Plesk. They would kill plesk and stay with Cpanel since more people used it. Or they would make a clone of both. Also the community of users that use Cpanel would no allow Parallels to imposse their model. Cpanel is very popular and users would complain if something is changed or missing. If Parallels keeps with his company focus then yes people would change panel and go away. But i think like another user said that Plesk cannot afford to take over Cpanel it would be the other way around. I dont think Cpanel would sell, if they do it would not be to Parallels because the people that use Cpanel is exacly the people that hate plesk. It would be like Red Hat selling to Microsoft.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chennai , India
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuyz View Post
    nibb,

    If Cpanel is bought by Parallels your going to be in the same boat. Best way to guarantee that not happening is find a open source or custom solution.
    This should not happen. I think a opensource thing should arise soon with definite support for them.

  17. #17
    An opensource wouldn't have functionality similar to cPanel etc.
    If it is, we need do pay here, and thats not called open source.

    These CPs are highly developed.cPanel is doing a release/day. Plesk is not-so-actively developed now though as they focus on Virtuozzo now. You can get 24/7 sales, but they want you to pay for every second of support.
    Universal Hosts - Premium Web Hosting for non premium Prices
    Now providing Virtual Private Servers and Managed Dedicated Servers.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    33
    Swsoft/Parallels is chaired by serguei Beloussov who is used to dictatorship. As long as Parallels takes the advice of this dictator, nothing will improve, it will only get worse. Profit over customer satisfaction is a poor and selfish way to run a business.

    To be politically correct is WRONG, therefore I am not.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by SHGreg View Post
    Swsoft/Parallels is chaired by serguei Beloussov who is used to dictatorship. As long as Parallels takes the advice of this dictator, nothing will improve, it will only get worse. Profit over customer satisfaction is a poor and selfish way to run a business.

    To be politically correct is WRONG, therefore I am not.
    This is news to me, where did you get this information from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Calinax View Post
    An opensource wouldn't have functionality similar to cPanel etc.
    If it is, we need do pay here, and thats not called open source.
    How did you come to that conclusion? What makes you think an open source solution wouldn't have the functionality similar to cPanel?

    It's also untrue that if you have to pay for it, than it wouldn't be open source. If the source isn't encoded, than it IS open source, regardless if it costs.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    73
    I don't think he means he is a Dictator himself (I would hope not), but lived in a socialist country. Those are pretty harsh accusations almost unfounded really... Just looking at http://www.parallels.com/en/about/le...rgueiBeloussov the man is highly educated:

    "He holds a B.S. in Physics, an M.S. in Physics and Electrical Engineering with High Honors, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology."
    Tersum - High Availability VPS Solutions
    http://www.tersum.com
    (877) 883-7786

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ahh' UnderPants
    Posts
    1,012
    very pity, they want more then whole world as cost of their sick software.



  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bharat
    Posts
    4,722
    What I am looking at is, they named it Parallels because they want some parallel competition to destroy Parallels.

    I can see the emerging unrest in their user base, if they are not going to listen they will be an endangered specie soon.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bharat
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by tersum View Post
    He holds a B.S. in Physics
    Or is it BS in Physics...
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Actually he is right. Serguei Beloussov makes some interviews about SAS and BUM Parallels implements that model. Most decisions come from him and most are bad just to profit and 0 loyalty to customers.

    He has lied in every single adquisition Sw Soft made in the past in a way they will still support the softwares they bought and they would not discontinue it. Lies. Most adquisitions they have done is to kill the products and they force people to move to their solutions. Take it for a fact, control panels adquired from they will eventually cease to exist.

    Russians are great programmers. Thats is also a fact. Just like Kaspersksy antivirus which is a great antivirus but they are terrible at running business. They try to force things on people and customers and they are almost nonnegotiable on business terms or partnerships.

    As I see Parallels they will have a hard time in the next couple of years, first because people will run away from them and second because they are focusing on to much things and dont have a core product. You cannot control all things under the sun, or they do virtualization or they focus on automation or they define what they want to do.

    There is already a Plesk clone outhere. I also have seing a clone of HSPcomplete and even allot better and for 100 times cheaper. They negotiate or they will be forced to drop sales i a big way.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    As for open source I dont think that is the solution. There are already great open source panels like ISPConfig, and it has on some degree more functions then plesk.

    I dont think Open Source is the solution for any market. Its good for personal use but commercial?

    People need to put food on their tables. A paid panel guarantees you that there are people developing the product and putting more functionality. There is nothing wrong with paid panels, people need to make money, we are in a world where we need money, people dont work for free so open source is not a solution.
    In some way open source is destroying the programmers market just like Google destroyed several companies by giving their products for free. This is something Microsoft at least has never done.

    There is some point where something must have a stop. And if you don't know about what i talk about then see how many of your customers are using Gmail with their domains instead of professional paid mail services. Google also released some kind of free SiteBuilder, is accredited in the ICANN for domain registration. So it would not be a surprise if they start giving away free domains and hosting killing a whole market in a short feature. Worst, most hosting companies don't realize this and spend millons in Adwords each year, they are just feeding the monster that is going to destroy them...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    1,479
    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    A paid panel guarantees you that there are people developing the product and putting more functionality.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    As for open source I dont think that is the solution. There are already great open source panels like ISPConfig, and it has on some degree more functions then plesk.

    I dont think Open Source is the solution for any market. Its good for personal use but commercial?
    So people should stop using Linux, PHP, MySQL as a hosting platform? I'm sure those developers are making ends meet. There are other ways to make money on software.
    Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    A paid panel guarantees you that there are people developing the product and putting more functionality.
    You mean like Modernbill?
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-19-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    984
    I'm just as disapointed with plesk as everyone else, the only thing the panel really had going for it was usability and design. Users preferred it for what they saw on the frontend, regardless of how much of a POS it was to administer on the backend, especially with the buggy updates.

    Their latest profit grab by forcing new customers to monthly leases, and only offering the more expensive owned + SUS licenses effectively puts the floor on their panel licensing at triple the cost of what was previously available when all customers wanted was a 10 or 30 domain license.

    I've still got a few owned myself, but at this point.. I'm definitely looking at an alternative and will likely check out Cube Panel, or install my old Interworx licenses and see how they've shaped up in the last couple of years.

    cPanel would probably be the safest bet, but cost is a big issue with them as well.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    So people should stop using Linux, PHP, MySQL as a hosting platform? I'm sure those developers are making ends meet. There are other ways to make money on software.

    You mean like Modernbill?
    You got the facts wrong.

    Modernbill is probably going to die very soon. A paid software should give you something for the money you pay. Those are features, support and upgrades.

    If they just give you a buggy release and nothing after that then why should someone pay?

    What you say doesn't have relationship to a panel. A control panel is just a nice interface to other products that already run in a server like Mysq, apache etc.

    Like Windows is a nice OS and Linux a powerful one and stable one. Security comes at a cost. Usability.

    You are not going to trow a manual of apache and a shell access to a newbie that just paid a 10$ hosting account. You will probably go no where if that is the case. Those open source platforms are made from computer geeks for other geeks. Sys Admins should handle these. Open Source doesn't care normally about looks or easy of use since the target is another market. They focus on stability, security etc.

    A control panel is just the opposite. Its a nice way to run commands on a server via big and fat icons. What is run inside a server should not care to a client. He just care that things run and they should run well.

    As for open source you actually want to implement your whole company with free softwares? This way what have you left to compete if everyone uses the same free software that a 10 year old kid can implement into their new company they opened on their basement.

    Some things are better paid. Others run well free. There are tons of open source software that run very well but there are millions of open source softwares that never start off just for the same reason.

    If you think all things should be free then you probably support the idea of Google killing hosting providers.

    Hosting applications is something hosting companies have done for a long time. Google is entering that market slowly, the biggest evil for Hosts is Google. They done it with email and now are doing it with applications. They are ICANN registered, just released a free websitebuilder and soon are going to give free hosting for domains probably free, so allot of people are going to be out of jobs just because they support the idea of all free.

    I dont know how you will compete against Free.

  30. #30
    I know I don't post here on WHT very often (ok, hardly ever) but I do read it frequently. To answer, and put an end to the speculation about cPanel selling out, we are NOT. cPanel is a fiercely independent company. We love the hosting industry and want to see things progress. We're a technology driven company that responds to the needs of our user base as quickly and effectively as possible.

    So, just to put to rest any fears about cPanel going the way of other panel manufacturers, we're NOT being acquired, bought, sold, whatever. We like where we've gotten to and strive to keep moving forward.

    Anyway, I just wanted to get that out there. Thanks for reading.
    Eric Gregory
    Total Server Solutions
    - Servers - Cloud - ECommerce Hosting
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected. Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix
    Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago - Seattle - London

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Your Screen
    Posts
    3,998
    No one was speculating that cPanel is selling, being acquired, etc. This thread is about the Parallels transaction, not cPanel.

    Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

  32. #32
    I wonder when so many people are writing against parallels or about their bad experiences with them, still we see more data centers are becoming Parallels partners. Is it really all about good marketing or is there some special offerings for data center operators?


    Blessed.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksher View Post
    I wonder when so many people are writing against parallels or about their bad experiences with them, still we see more data centers are becoming Parallels partners. Is it really all about good marketing or is there some special offerings for data center operators?


    Blessed.
    Very nice question. Its a hook. They probably give Plesk for Free and charge very low fees for Virtuozzo. You will not get datacenter prices anywhere, not even from official Parallels resellers. I think they are trying to get datacenter as partners to imposse their products. Im sure they give below the costs their products or even free to some datacenters. Time will tell. I still think Cpanel will come up soon with a good marketing attack to counterfeit this.

  34. #34
    Parallels is bad and don't understand how to keep customers. They just purchased control panel/ billing software and then ignore them, let them die. In short term, it is good as many competitors are out. In long term, customers will hate Parallels and avoid them at all costs. Also, they will leave when alternative pop up.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    584

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    They are huge. But they are already losing their clients. Me included. Im cancelling before 30 days all products we have with them.

    Eventually people will choosed other solutions. They are huge that is true, but that is not making them better. I see products from small companies that are excellent. Specially in customer care and product development. We choosed Parallels because they where huge but that was a mistake. Products where not better because of it, but support is horrible.

    Their business ethics is horrible, just like when they decided to put banner advertisents of Virtuozzo on our plesk products and affiliate links back to their pages. This is just one issue of the tip of the iceberg that shows how they care less about their clients. Moving away from Paralles has being one of the best decisions we ever made. Specially because people dont like their products. Even sales are gowning without their products.

    This is company with 0 customer ethic. All they care is about your pocket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •