WiredTree VPS256

So I've been eyeing this package but had concerns about the 256 guaranteed ram. Many have said that 256 is not enough for cPanel.

Anyone have experience with this? The vps512 is a little too much on the pricey side for me so I was hoping to find out whether this vps256 would be suitable for me.
    Imusion Studio Photoshop Tutorials, Website Templates, Forum Skins, and much more!
    IS Host Reviews Non-biased hosting ratings and reviews!

It depends on what you are using on that vps too. If the sites are not using much system resources, it might be ok. But if the sites using more system resources, you will need more RAM. BTW, you can take a look at DirectAdmin (I am not sure if Wiredtree offers DA or not), it's using less memory and 256MB RAM is definitely enough

WiredTree
    zone
    knownhost

which is better??

Quote Originally Posted by lyerx View Post
    WiredTree
    zone
    knownhost

which is better??
    They're all reputable web host providers and this will turn into a popularity contest.

I would recommend SEARCHING the VPS forum and you'll find at least 30 reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Imusion View Post
    So I've been eyeing this package but had concerns about the 256 guaranteed ram. Many have said that 256 is not enough for cPanel.

Anyone have experience with this? The vps512 is a little too much on the pricey side for me so I was hoping to find out whether this vps256 would be suitable for me.
    You are in luck, see the special thread here.

It's 10% off for the life of the account plus a bonus 128MB of RAM, so you would get 384MB of RAM instead and about $5 off per month on the account you are looking at.

There's no expiry listed, but i went to the signup page and plugged the coupon in and it still worked.

It also gives the 512 package 640MB of RAM and drops the price around $10/mo. I don't know if that brings it in your budget or not.

I bought the 512 package nearly 2 months ago now and couldn't be happier with WiredTree.

gate2vn: The thing is my sites are currently on cPanel. It's what I'm most comfortable with and I'm not sure whether it would be difficult to migrate my sites to DA if they are currently in a cPanel setup. I don't believe WiredTree offers DA anyways.

1boss1: Yes, indeed I did see that special in the forums, thanks for pointing it out. I'm still not sure though if 256 is the minimum, whether a 128mb would make a big difference?

I mean by no means are my sites really big or resource intensive. I have a few forums, IPB, PHPBB, and a few wordpress sites running. They don't get huge amounts of traffic, just a steady stream for each really. All I want is these sites to all be hosted on my VPS without having to feel the affects of any slowness.
    Imusion Studio Photoshop Tutorials, Website Templates, Forum Skins, and much more!

Yes the 128 does make a difference. I have that package and I have clients that run Nuke sites. One of which is fairly busy. A PHPBB board that has 500 members with 30 members online at any given time and a few other PHPBB boards that are not very busy.

On top of those a couple of blogs and a lot of static sites. All run with no performance issues at all.

The only time I had a performance issue was due to a root exploit that WiredTree support helped me sort out.

If the host has optimized cpanel/whm (which Wiredtree does) it will run fine on 256MB. But like others have said it does not leave you alot of resources left, you'll be fine for low use websites but not too much more then that. That extra 128 or 256 will make a big difference.

I think you'll be ok. I have a couple fairly heavy traffic sites running on their Cpanel 384MB without problem. It sometimes spikes close to the limit with a rare burst over the limit, but most of the time it's running with 80MB or more free. I did turn off spamassassin and entropychat to free up some memory. 256MB no, but 384MB yes I'm ok.

Thank for your feedback and input guys. It has really helped assure me that I should be fine on the VPS256. My sites aren't really big by any means, I just like to have enough wiggle room just in case.

Thank for your feedback and input guys. It has really helped assure me that I should be fine on the VPS256. My sites aren't really big by any means, I just like to have enough wiggle room just in case.
    Are you on a VPS now or shared/reseller account? If it's a VPS, you should be able to gauge your current usage right now (via 'free -m' or 'top') and determine if 256 MB will be sufficient for your requirements. If you find that your using even ~200 MB of guaranteed RAM currently, than a 256 MB guaranteed plan is not for you.

Just FYI, a clean, default install of WHM/cPanel that is idling with -zero- sites consumes about 160 MB of memory. That leaves about ~100 MB of guaranteed RAM available for your websites/web-apps. That is why most people here tend to recommend 384+ MB of *guaranteed* RAM if your going to run a resource intensive panel like WHM/cPanel.

If you can, I really would suggest you go for the higher up package and get that "wiggle room", because it's never a bad thing to have too much memory available. The last thing you want is to try to go to your site and find out that Apache is down because your VPS was in the 'burst' range for too long (which is a temporal value that any provider has really no control over, you will be at the mercy of VZ).

@Sean: I'm actually on a shared server right now so I'm not sure whether those SSH commands still apply.

@Sean: I'm actually on a shared server right now so I'm not sure whether those SSH commands still apply.
    In that case, share some actual numbers in regards to how much bandwidth your using per month, how many concurrent visitors/users you have on your forum/sites, etc. When you say 'a few sites that don't get that much traffic' it's hard for the community to try to give you an accurate recommendation of the type of resources you might need on a VPS.

However, the whole beauty of a VPS is that even if you sign up with WiredTree for that 256 MB VPS, if it turns out you do really need the higher up package instead (they will probably diagnose that for you if indeed so), chances are (ask them to be sure) that they can upgrade your server right then and there with no reboot, no downtime and no worries.

Just to update you guys... I did decide to go with WiredTree's VPS256 plan with the extra 128MB bonus. It works beautifully so far, ram is not even an issue, it seems I've just been a little over cautious. Which is always a good thing.

I am sure you will be happy with your choice. I had the same concern about memory.