Thread: Host Privacy

Host Privacy

Hey everyone! This is my first post, so please be nice

I'm looking at switching from my current host (who has been suffering from performance issues) to a new one. Now, being Canadian and using a Canadian host they have certain legal obligations to protect my personal information along with the data I store on their servers. An example might be customers email addresses set up in mailing lists, or even email - I use IMAP and leave the messages on the server.

Now, I've been lurking these boards and scoping out potential hosts. I've noticed that out of the few I've checked out (HostGator, Hawk, ************ and a few others), only ************ actually had a privacy policy concerning the use of their subscribers personal information and data. If the others had one, it wasn't overly obvious, so I may have missed it.

I guess my question is this: since American hosts are not under the same requirements (maybe even no requirement?) as Canadian hosts to protect their customers personal information, can anyone suggest a good host with a well defined privacy policy and a good track record of protecting their customers information?

Sincerely,
    Sparky

Hi and welcome!!

Well, alot of host aren't required to keep your privacy in, but most of the time they don't actually "look" into your things. In the US its all about keeping the information available to the authority's, and invesitgating it ourself to make sure nothing illegal or harming to the server is happening.

But are you looking only for a Canada host or a host anywhere that has strict privacy for there clients?

Also, what kind of things are you looking for, shared, reseller etc?

I believe any web hosting company will keep your privacy in, unless you are doing something wrong.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

I would tend to be more interested in the sites providing a privacy policy or confidentiality agreement. I'm sure, however, that there are many hosts from Canada that can provide this
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

I would tend to be more interested in the sites providing a privacy policy or confidentiality agreement. I'm sure, however, that there are many hosts from Canada that can provide this
    Well, in Canada businesses are required by law to provide a privacy policy. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if they are located in Whoville, but I do like to see companies responsible enough to spell out their commitment to the protection of your personal information.

As for web hosts located in Canada... I'm sure there are, I'm just having a hell of a time finding them. I know of netfirms.ca, but I hate their interface. And I've seen a bunch of others but their prices and offerings aren't in line with our friends in the U.S.

Also, what kind of things are you looking for, shared, reseller etc?
    Shared hosting, a gig or two storage, a gig or two bandwidth, cpanel (or similar), php4/5, about 50 email addresses, SSH access, ftpd, mysqld (about 10 databases), imap email, webmail and the ability to host multiple domains on one account.
    Sparky
    Last edited by Sparkysplace; 03-11-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Well im afraid to recommend a few, due to you seeming to be quite picky over that policy. But i would how ever recommend smaller hosting company's due to the fact there all about there customer and there privacy, unlike the bigger hosting dogs you see today.

If i do come across some how ever for you i will put them in here, would you rather have a known hosting company or a smaller one thats still been around a while?

Syn Hosting is a Canadian hosting company. I didn't see a privacy policy on their website. You might want to email them about their privacy policy. They have a pretty good reputation at hostjury.

^That site looks good, and yeah host jury's review looks nice. I would try them, since there based in canada should be good on your connection.