Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who is the cheapest .ca domain registrar?

I am looking for some .ca domains for cheap. Any suggestions?

They are the cheapest I think http://paylessdomains.ca/

http://netfirms.ca/ is also CDN$9.95
    I don't believe they take PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by hsphereclub View Post
    Go through this forum and look at the posts from the last month, there were two threads asking exactly that.
    If you don't want to go through those 5, 6 pages then use the search function.

I have couple domain name with http://netfirms.ca
    They’re not bad, they have a live chat if you need support

Domainsatcost.ca is fine. The Canadina domains there are cheap enough and they have nice domain management interface.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Does i need to be canadian resident to purchase *.ca domain?
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Yes I believe you do have to have to be a Canadian resident.

Canadian resident or Canadian citizen.

So if you are not an Canadian permanent resident or citizen, you cannot get an .ca domain? For example with .us is not like that. They ask you if you are either one but at the same time they allow non residents/citizens to register one. I wanted a .ca too but I saw that requirement and I just quit.

.CA domains are for Canadians, businesses or individuals, or companies that have genuine interest (e.g. trademarks) in Canada. I honestly don't see why anybody else would want one.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    .CA domains are for Canadians, businesses or individuals, or companies that have genuine interest (e.g. trademarks) in Canada. I honestly don't see why anybody else would want one.
    Then why .us allows non US permanent residents nor citizens to get an .us but .ca does not allow? I can say the same, why would someone want an .us too. See what I meant. Same as with other country domain extensions. There are so many reasons that people would want an extension from whatever country and of course I;m reffering to legal reasons.

I'm gonna bump this old thread to warn people to NOT even think about registering a ca domain with godaddy. They have no staff even remotely familiar with ca domains, CIRA, or even Canada in general. I needed to submit an MCACE request for a friends domain and they had no idea what it was. Of course I couldn't transfer away from them because the person no longer had access to the admin email account so needless to say the whole experience has been (and still continues to be) a nightmare.

www.canspace.ca is currently the cheapest registrar ($9.75 per year) followed by www.netfirms.ca at $9.95 per year. that's my shortlist.

I guess netfirms.ca is fine, if you find a Canadian resident or citizen "relative" to register it for you. CIRA is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by liviuz View Post
    CIRA is optional.
    what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by hsphereclub View Post
    NameCheap

Also check the nic for authorized resellers or direct purchase

If it is not yet emphasized enough previously, let me spell it out more clearly once again: with almost a full decade of empirical research, I would suggest to ALWAYS use a TRULY CANADIAN company for your .CA domains, unless you are interested in submitting support tickets even for the simplest maintenance tasks, instead of using some fully automated web interface.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

You can find a full list of CIRA certified registrars at:

http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en

Any other company would just be a reseller of one of these guys.

I would recommend Sibername. They cost a bit more than Netfirms, but the support is good, and they don't try to rope you into buying more services during the initial order.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by CanSpace View Post
    You can find a full list of CIRA certified registrars at:

http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en

Any other company would just be a reseller of one of these guys.
    Mind you that NOT ALL listed there are TRULY CANADIAN companies. You may be disappointed to find that some of these local/Canadian "agents" are not exactly full-time or dedicated as expected.

I fully agree... I would definitely go with a Canadian registrar for .ca domain's, as opposed to a registrar that sells dot-ca's as an afterthought.

FYI here's a good site that lists different TLDs and the cheapest registrars associated with them (no affiliation):

http://cheapest-domain-reg.com/
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

Luckyregister.com

Even though luckyregister.com is an offshoot of GoDaddy they have lower prices and I haven't researched other sites because Luckyregister is all I use but I am sure you can get a good price if not the best at Lucky Register. 12.99$ at luckyregister

Good Luck

In order to register a .CA you need to fulfill the local presence requirement (Canadian Citizen, Resident, ...etc. You can find an extensive list here http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Lega...trants/CPR.pdf).

If your interested in registering a .CA domain I would also recommend registering through a Canadian company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast