Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Who is the cheapest .ca domain registrar?

    I am looking for some .ca domains for cheap. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    1010010101
    Posts
    231
    They are the cheapest I think http://paylessdomains.ca/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    http://netfirms.ca/ is also CDN$9.95
    I don't believe they take PayPal.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    CH
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by hsphereclub View Post
    I am looking for some .ca domains for cheap. Any suggestions?
    Go through this forum and look at the posts from the last month, there were two threads asking exactly that.
    If you don't want to go through those 5, 6 pages then use the search function.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    89
    I have couple domain name with http://netfirms.ca
    They’re not bad, they have a live chat if you need support

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,156
    Domainsatcost.ca is fine. The Canadina domains there are cheap enough and they have nice domain management interface.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

  8. #8
    Does i need to be canadian resident to purchase *.ca domain?
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

  9. #9
    Yes I believe you do have to have to be a Canadian resident.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    Canadian resident or Canadian citizen.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    48
    So if you are not an Canadian permanent resident or citizen, you cannot get an .ca domain? For example with .us is not like that. They ask you if you are either one but at the same time they allow non residents/citizens to register one. I wanted a .ca too but I saw that requirement and I just quit.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    .CA domains are for Canadians, businesses or individuals, or companies that have genuine interest (e.g. trademarks) in Canada. I honestly don't see why anybody else would want one.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    .CA domains are for Canadians, businesses or individuals, or companies that have genuine interest (e.g. trademarks) in Canada. I honestly don't see why anybody else would want one.
    Then why .us allows non US permanent residents nor citizens to get an .us but .ca does not allow? I can say the same, why would someone want an .us too. See what I meant. Same as with other country domain extensions. There are so many reasons that people would want an extension from whatever country and of course I;m reffering to legal reasons.

  14. #14
    I'm gonna bump this old thread to warn people to NOT even think about registering a ca domain with godaddy. They have no staff even remotely familiar with ca domains, CIRA, or even Canada in general. I needed to submit an MCACE request for a friends domain and they had no idea what it was. Of course I couldn't transfer away from them because the person no longer had access to the admin email account so needless to say the whole experience has been (and still continues to be) a nightmare.

    www.canspace.ca is currently the cheapest registrar ($9.75 per year) followed by www.netfirms.ca at $9.95 per year. that's my shortlist.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16
    I guess netfirms.ca is fine, if you find a Canadian resident or citizen "relative" to register it for you. CIRA is optional.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by liviuz View Post
    CIRA is optional.
    what does that mean?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by hsphereclub View Post
    I am looking for some .ca domains for cheap. Any suggestions?
    NameCheap

    Also check the nic for authorized resellers or direct purchase

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    If it is not yet emphasized enough previously, let me spell it out more clearly once again: with almost a full decade of empirical research, I would suggest to ALWAYS use a TRULY CANADIAN company for your .CA domains, unless you are interested in submitting support tickets even for the simplest maintenance tasks, instead of using some fully automated web interface.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    735
    You can find a full list of CIRA certified registrars at:

    http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en

    Any other company would just be a reseller of one of these guys.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    I would recommend Sibername. They cost a bit more than Netfirms, but the support is good, and they don't try to rope you into buying more services during the initial order.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by CanSpace View Post
    You can find a full list of CIRA certified registrars at:

    http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en

    Any other company would just be a reseller of one of these guys.
    Mind you that NOT ALL listed there are TRULY CANADIAN companies. You may be disappointed to find that some of these local/Canadian "agents" are not exactly full-time or dedicated as expected.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    735
    I fully agree... I would definitely go with a Canadian registrar for .ca domain's, as opposed to a registrar that sells dot-ca's as an afterthought.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    735
    FYI here's a good site that lists different TLDs and the cheapest registrars associated with them (no affiliation):

    http://cheapest-domain-reg.com/
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,385

    Luckyregister.com

    Even though luckyregister.com is an offshoot of GoDaddy they have lower prices and I haven't researched other sites because Luckyregister is all I use but I am sure you can get a good price if not the best at Lucky Register. 12.99$ at luckyregister

    Good Luck

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    67
    In order to register a .CA you need to fulfill the local presence requirement (Canadian Citizen, Resident, ...etc. You can find an extensive list here http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Lega...trants/CPR.pdf).

    If your interested in registering a .CA domain I would also recommend registering through a Canadian company.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16

    * DomainCheap.Ca with all free features

    There are other things to take into account rather than the "proudly Canadian" cliche. Whether you want to just monetize the name, a website, or create your website or portal you need features. I don't care where my registrar resides as long as it's been there forever, has support, has FREE important features such as Free Privacy, Free forwarding, Free email, Free tasting (money back if you've made a spelling mistake or you change your mind within the first few days of registration), Free DNS records (NS, A, CNAME, MX...), is backed up by a strong mega-registrar that would help you recover the domain in case it goes bankrupt (remember the disastrous Registerfly?), allows you free domain name push into external accounts, has user-friendly user panel that allows you to manage a portfolio of many domains handling bulk changes and offers decent hosting plans with Cpanel at the same time... I'd spend $5 more/year (that's practically nothing) to get all those features rather than just buy from netfirms or 1and1 or godaddy.
    And I checked most of them and they all fail at some point, except these DirectI resellers: www.domaincheap.ca or www.domainelectronic.com(which by the way seem to be administred from Canada)
    My two cents.
    Last edited by liviuz; 12-08-2010 at 12:54 PM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by liviuz View Post
    There are other things to take into account rather than the "proudly Canadian" cliche. Whether you want to just monetize the name, a website, or create your website or portal you need features. I don't care where my registrar resides as long as it's been there forever, has support, has FREE important features such as Free Privacy, Free forwarding, Free email, Free tasting (money back if you've made a spelling mistake or you change your mind within the first few days of registration), Free DNS records (NS, A, CNAME, MX...), is backed up by a strong mega-registrar that would help you recover the domain in case it goes bankrupt (remember the disastrous Registerfly?), allows you free domain name push into external accounts, has user-friendly user panel that allows you to manage a portfolio of many domains handling bulk changes and offers decent hosting plans with Cpanel at the same time... I'd spend $5 more/year (that's practically nothing) to get all those features rather than just buy from netfirms or 1and1 or godaddy.
    And I checked most of them and they all fail at some point, except these DirectI resellers: www.domaincheap.ca or www.domainelectronic.com(which by the way seem to be administred from Canada)
    My two cents.
    Don't get me started on domaincheap. I dealt with them while working at my last full-time employer, and they were terrible. Took 24-48 hours to get responses to urgent queries.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    Don't get me started on domaincheap. I dealt with them while working at my last full-time employer, and they were terrible. Took 24-48 hours to get responses to urgent queries.
    Domaincheap.ca was registered one month ago on 2010/10/24

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Domaincheap.ca was registered one month ago on 2010/10/24
    My mistake. I was thinking of DomainCheap.com, not .ca
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  30. #30

    DomainsCheap.ca is cheaper than DomainsAtCost.ca LOL!

    I don't know why people use DomainsAtCost.ca
    They are expensive, they have a decent .ca price
    but they stick it to you on all other tlds.
    So why bother when DomainsCheap.ca by NamesAtCost.com
    is Canadian and has the cheapest prices for all domains
    They have 24/7/365 phone support too!

    I have happily moved over 80 of my names from godaddy, netfirms, and domainsatcost.ca and saved a bunch. So check out DomainsCheap.ca or NamesAtCost.com

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    212
    Instead of going for cheap registrar, I would like to go with secure registrar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •