Exclamation I Need A Dedicated Server to Handle Front Page Digg Exposure

We have three blogs covering the topics of web design, graphic design and computer tech. Our blogs have made the front page of Digg numerous times, and many times our dedicated server still cannot handle it.

For the monthly price of the server (around 200) this is really disappointing - Especially when 20,000 out of 70,000 people in that day get a server error instead of the content they came for.

Our blogs are all run on WordPress and I need a host that is WordPress friendly. A lot of times when we made Digg, the site was still up but when you tried to access a WordPress page it said there were too many connections to the DB. The max number of connections that our host allowed was simply not enough.

My only other requirements are that we have 5 dedicated IPs and WHM/Cpanel setup. They must also have really good support, and be willing to transfer everything.

Our budget? I would like to keep it under $200/mo with no contracts.

We are also open to sponsorships from a good web host interested in reaching our audience of web designers/graphic designers. We average about 7k uniques a day, with up to 70-80k on some days. Our traffic is growing pretty fast so we want a server that can handle that growth. We will not however accept a sponsorship from a host that would not be good for our readers.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignBlog View Post
    Our blogs are all run on WordPress and I need a host that is WordPress friendly. A lot of times when we made Digg, the site was still up but when you tried to access a WordPress page it said there were too many connections to the DB. The max number of connections that our host allowed was simply not enough.
    Are you currently on a dedicated server? I'm confused, because you seem to imply that your host is somehow limiting / throttling your connections.

WordPress is notorious for not handling well under load unless it's carefully configured. What sort of configuration have you done? Are you running things like WP Super Cache? Is your MySQL query cache enabled (that will only help a bit)? Are you using APC or similar?

My only other requirements are that we have 5 dedicated IPs and WHM/Cpanel setup. They must also have really good support, and be willing to transfer everything.
    So are you looking for a self-managed solution, or do you want the hosting company to do it for you? I just ask because generally cPanel is implemented for people who manage their own servers, and it's not as conducive to fine-tuning to crank performance out of servers.

We are also open to sponsorships from a good web host interested in reaching our audience of web designers/graphic designers.
    As a heads up, it's against the rules for hosts to reply to you in this forum, so you won't (can't) get any offers from posting there, but people can help steer you to a good host.

lot of times when we made Digg, the site was still up but when you tried to access a WordPress page it said there were too many connections to the DB. The max number of connections that our host allowed was simply not enough.
    I think you need a database optimization. Too many connection on a dedicated server is never related to Host.

As stated, you need to research static caching. With static pages, any old cheapo hosting account can easily handle a Digging.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

I have had WP Cache installed and I have also tried WP Super Cache.

I think my questions may not have been that clear to some people so let me rephrase it:

I need a good dedicated host, with very good support that offers dedicated servers for 200/month or less. They need to be running WHM/Cpanel and be able to handle bursts of traffic.

So what are some hosts that you might be able to recommend for this?

I guess you didn't understand the previous answers. The problem is not the host, the server, or the network -- it is the application you are running.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    I guess you didn't understand the previous answers. The problem is not the host, the server, or the network -- it is the application you are running.
    So to make it even easier for you, what is a good host for the application I am running with the requirements I listed already?

How much bandwidth do you use a month?

Quote Originally Posted by DesignBlog View Post
    So to make it even easier for you, what is a good host for the application I am running with the requirements I listed already?
    Perhaps the one you are running now.

Top tip, check my.cnf if you are on a dedicated server right now.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

On your current server, if pages are loading, can't you just up the mysql connection limit to fix the limit pages?
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

You should look into distributing your load across a few machines and optimizing your software configuration.

Cpanel based hosting solutions are not the best for high traffic websites. Any site getting over a few thousand uniques per day, I take off Cpanel and use a more minimalist and optimized multi-server configuration.

Are you using Apache for your web server?

Quote Originally Posted by HD Fanatic View Post
    Are you using Apache for your web server?
    If he's running Cpanel/WHM, I'm sure he is. However, as stated before, it's an optimization issue, not a host issue. Check my.cnf as stated above, and consider moving off of Cpanel.
    ██ HermeTek Network Solutions
    ██ Network design, security, and implementation
    ██ BSD & Linux consulting, training, and hosting
    ██ https://www.hermetek.com | 1.866.235.1288

forgot about cPanel+Apache

you MUST use LxAdmin + lighttpd + WP Cache + theme/plugins optimization for min. database connections