Cancelling with HostGator Issues

I'm just curious if HostGator is / has strung along other people when they tried to cancel their hosting plans?

I had decent ticket response up until I tried to cancel after my 3 month stay with HostGator. I started my ticket on March 6th 8:32pm and didn't get a response until March 7th, 6:30am asking if they can do anything to keep me. I've responded 4 times to the ticket since then to get my account cancelled with no response from HostGator!

I had no issue with them until now, other than a bit of cpu spiking they were addressing. If this is the way they try to retain customers I will never be one again.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. Have you tried calling their phone support line?
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!
      0 Not allowed!

I heard of someone who had problem cancelling with HostGator, in the end he just cancelled his paypal subscription and left. Like diligent said, try calling there phone support.

Good luck.
    - Danny.
      0 Not allowed!

My cancellation with them went pretty smoothly. There were a few exchanges in tickets but eventually they cancelled the account. You should definitely call them up and settle it on the phone.
      0 Not allowed!

Sending several tickets regarding the same issue is NOT a good idea. Your ticket will just be put at the end of the line. I believe HG tells you this somewhere in the support section.

In this case, try using the phone instead.
    Web Hosting Reviews ó based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic
      0 Not allowed!

I have canceled accounts with them around three times. I put in the request, then within a day or so a girl named Celeste would ask if there was anything they could do to keep me, I said no, then within a day or so it would be canceled. It looks to me like they only have a couple of people handling the cancellations, which is good... it shows that they don't really have that many.

Hostgator has a good heart at its core, so I would not at all be concerned that it will not get resolved, and you cannot blame them for seeing if there is anything they can do to keep you... they are simply asking for a chance to right any wrongs if they can.

0 Not allowed!

I don't see anything wrong here. You answered a ticket and should have waited
    for an answer. It's not like, it's a urgent server issue. You should wait for them to
    reply.
    Unless you are trying to cancel 1 day before the end of the renewal, which that
    would be another problem.

Just to confirm people above, it takes a bit longer to communicate for the account cancellation, because either way they will do some efforts to keep you and then it will end. An account I had canceled with them took 2 days only because I hadn't reply to their response for 1 day. But as I said, you just want to cancel, what's the rush?
      0 Not allowed!

I just stopped paying and let them suspend me, I forgot I had the account or else I would have told them to cancel.
      0 Not allowed!

Just to respond to a few comments I only opened 1 ticket, just updated it multiple times. My next bill doesn't come out until the 13th. Putting the request in on the 6th to cancel should be enough time in advance. If I was in a rush I would of called in. I just find it interesting and sometimes a learning experience to go through the motions sometimes to see how companies react and do business.

Also I do appreciate the fact that they did ask if there was anything they could do. Having said that, if there was something they could of done its been 3 days since this ticket was last touched by one of their support staff.

Anyways. I just checked my ticket and I finally got a response saying my account has been officially closed 4 days after the request. Thanks Hostgator and thanks to the people who responded here.
      0 Not allowed!

Good to hear they taking things professionally, maybe they are asking for anything they could to hear what's usual cause of cancellation and for them to improve their service.
      0 Not allowed!

I have Host Gator and everything's completely smooth with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Im glad to hear you finally got your account canceled sorry to see that it took a while.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

What was your ticket number with us? I'd love to take a look at what happened. Our cancellation department knows they are suppose to try and save someone, but not to drag their feet on a cancellation.

They aren't paid based on saves or anything like that so they would have no reason to delay other then to create more work for themselves.
      0 Not allowed!

I cancelled with them recently, and it was all taken care of within 24 hours.
      0 Not allowed!

Ticket# LIF-2483830.

Thanks for taking interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hello,

What was your ticket number with us? I'd love to take a look at what happened. Our cancellation department knows they are suppose to try and save someone, but not to drag their feet on a cancellation.

They aren't paid based on saves or anything like that so they would have no reason to delay other then to create more work for themselves.
      0 Not allowed!

We had a single response before canceling your account.

"Hello,

I noticed that you are wanting to cancel your account with us after only having your account for a few months. If there was a problem with the service you were receiving, I'd like to see if I could help you. There maybe something that I or one of our administrators can do to resolve your issue.

Best regards,

Celeste
    HostGator Support "

I apologize for it sitting over the weekend. I can see where you would think we were playing games. Cancellation tickets really donít have the urgency support tickets do which is why we only have two people that handle this department.
      0 Not allowed!

From the level of service I have experienced from Hostgator in the past I would think you probably don't need many to handle cancellations to begin with.

Thank you for letting us all know what was going on
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

lol, we have a client going through this exact same problem....
    seems that Hostgator has ignored both requests and is now threatening a 10$ late fee....lmao
      0 Not allowed!

twenty4web please do provide a ticket number because honestly It really doesn't sound like you are being honest.
      0 Not allowed!

I will ask them for their ticket number(s)

I am not sure why i am not honest about stating what a customer is going through.

I don't have an issue with your service, I am not bashing you, simply stating what my customer has told me as indicated in my post.

please do not accuse me.
      0 Not allowed!

They cancel your account after a few requests. May take a few days. Just create a thread and tell them to cancel it and then just wait 1-2 days. Should be cancelled.
    :: PerlArcade - Play Online Games
      0 Not allowed!

Ticket ID: PEV-2498896
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for helping to prove my point.

The ticket you provided us is the first time they have contacted us from their email address and it was just done yesterday at 8:15 PM. It's also very interesting that this ticket was submitted three minutes after your post on wht.

"We have tried to cancel our account two times, please... once and for all
    cancel my account!
    nothing was wrong with the service you had provided but please let it be a
    good ending and stop threatening a late fee!

CANCEL MY ACCOUNT!!"

We obviously can't cancel an account without verification such as password, cc, etc. If they have tried contacting us numerous times how come this is the first and only ticket they have ever put in with us from this email?

Their ticket has been responded to saying to fill out hostgator.com/cancel.php Their account will not be canceled until this is filled out. If they contact us via chat or phone to cancel they will be told to fill out this form every time.
      0 Not allowed!

What point is that?

As far as my customer is concerned, that was the last ticket they submitted as suggested by me to submit a ticket AGAIN.

that is the ticket # they gave me.
    that is the one I gave you.

obviously if it is going through their e-mail to them , and then to me to WHT they shouldn't need anymore proof, just cancel there account.
    They are not going to pay you, they said it's over due... cancel it

as far as I can see your pissing them off , what are you trying to prove to me?

They have tried Live Support and a earlier ticket, they do not have the ticket number for the earlier ticket.

Now stop bugging me with the problem and deal with them.
      0 Not allowed!

My point that a ticket was never opened at the time of your posting.....

I'll start spoofing your customers emails and demand you cancel accounts. It's pretty simple have them fill out hostgator.com/cancel.php and it will be canceled.
      0 Not allowed!

apparently I am not allowed to respond because your association with WHT

I didn't start this thread, I also stated that I did not have a problem with your service myself.

Do not threaten me, it's your problem, you deal with it.
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly, I have noticed that hostGator is not greedy at all! I think this is a result of miscommunication?
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't believe so either, unfortunately if you come here to stick up for your customers you get bashed. this wasn't even my thread , I simply added a comment from a customer who was having the same issue. Because Hostgator wants to start bullying and threatening is showing me how immature they are.
    If Hostgator has a problem with one of my customers , especially over not cancelling there service ... cancel it.

They have not paid, they have stated that.
    so why sit here and argue?
    If they have paid fine, if not why not just cancel them and stop whining about it and blaming me for your cancelation procedures or mis communication or whatever?

instead you say your going to spoof e-mail my clients? thats a threat and i don't appreciate it.
      0 Not allowed!

Where did I bully or threaten? I haven't done either...

We are a large company that has controls in place, and definitely can't go terminating accounts based off an email address that can be spoofed. Nobody's saying it is spoofed but if you cancel enough accounts eventually one will be which is why we require verification.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by twenty4web View Post
    instead you say your going to spoof e-mail my clients? thats a threat and i don't appreciate it.
    The point he's trying to make is ANYONE can easily modify the "From" email address when sending in an email to cancel. They have a cancellation form to fill out - it's listed right there on the website and in the TOS.

What's so hard about filling the form out? Really?
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

He has the best interest of his client in mind. It's all good. Were now working together to get the information we need to perform this cancellation.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe this issue has been settled.

I will take back some things that were said in frustration and this has been clearly a mis-communications issue.

Hostgator has great reviews here at WHT and I know for a company that size there is bound to be miscommunication issues.

I do give them credit for the amount of support they provide and for the very fact that Brent takes the time to come here to WHT and battle it out.

This is what makes most companies good companies, otherwise they wouldn't care to reply.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by twenty4web View Post
    apparently I am not allowed to respond because your association with WHT

I didn't start this thread, I also stated that I did not have a problem with your service myself.

Do not threaten me, it's your problem, you deal with it.
    Hostgator have no association with WHT. I am not seeing threats here, what I am seeing is that you are extremely defensive. Let the client sort things out with hostgator him/herself.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes you are right, and thats what I was trying to do.

Maybe WHT can put a stop to the amount of nonsense posts that create frustration and a automatic defense.
      0 Not allowed!

WHT relies on the responsibility and common sense of it's users and the fallback plan is moderation. What it comes down to is think before you post.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

OP's issue settled long ago, and this is now looking to erupt into arguing again, so let's have a happy ending.

</thread>
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!