Question What's The Best Way To Migrate Accounts Through WHM To Get The Least Downtime

Hi,

As the title reads, what is the best method if you using WHM to migrate accounts from one server to the other and experience the least amount of downtime?

I know WHM has it's function where you can migrate all the accounts simply. And from my view point, you should migrate the accounts, then update the DNS (nameservers) for the new server, and that would reduce the downtime?

There may be a better way, if so let me know

Thanks

How many accounts do you have? You should backup all the accounts and do the wget option and the do /scripts/restorepkg user

"user" is the user name of the account.

Quote Originally Posted by geckofrog View Post
    How many accounts do you have? You should backup all the accounts and do the wget option and the do /scripts/restorepkg user

"user" is the user name of the account.
    About 84 on this server.

With the wget etc. Can you type out the full command, in a step by step method, and will that run faster or something instead of using the WHM method?

wget path to your url of backup

Quote Originally Posted by geckofrog View Post
    wget path to your url of backup
    Ok, I understand this method is probably best for speeding up the transfer rate, but I think the trick to reducing the downtime is around the DNS settings?

So what's your input on that, am I right on the way I need to do it moreless?

Lower the TTL settings to an hour, or even lower if you want it to be really quick. Wait for the change to propagate (based on the old TTL) before you start the move though. That should make the transition fairly quickly.

24 till 48 hours you want to manual go through all the DNS Zones for the accounts you wish to move lowering the Time it takes to Refresh a DNS Zone to about 30 minutes.

This means when you update the DNS the users will see the site much quicker than the usual 24 to 48 hours.

However once the sites are moved you will want to change the value back to the default, 1 Day I think, otherwise you will place a higher load on the Name Server.

Edit: Dam TMS Beat me
    Last edited by Ashley Merrick; 03-10-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: TMS
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-Ashley View Post
    24 till 48 hours you want to manual go through all the DNS Zones for the accounts you wish to move lowering the Time it takes to Refresh a DNS Zone to about 30 minutes.

This means when you update the DNS the users will see the site much quicker than the usual 24 to 48 hours.

However once the sites are moved you will want to change the value back to the default, 1 Day I think, otherwise you will place a higher load on the Name Server.

Edit: Dam TMS Beat me
    Ok for the average new user to servers, as I'm sure many will appreicate this, can you layout the steps to how you would manually do this? Meaning, if I have to go into WHM to do this, guild me through the process of what I'd need to change, and then have to re-change, if that makes any sense?

Thanks

If you are moving an entire server - you can login to shell
    cd /var/named

Then type
    replace "$TTL 14400" "$TTL xxxxxx" -- *.db

Replacing the xxxxxx with the number of seconds you want it set to. 5 minutes = 300 seconds. 10 minutes = 600 seconds etc.,
    Then you need to wait the previous amount of time that it was set for - 14400 for example - and then you can do your move. Once the move is completed - update the nameservers and the dns will propogate in 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc., whatever you set it to above.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredMom View Post
    If you are moving an entire server - you can login to shell
    cd /var/named

Then type

Replacing the xxxxxx with the number of seconds you want it set to. 5 minutes = 300 seconds. 10 minutes = 600 seconds etc.,
    Then you need to wait the previous amount of time that it was set for - 14400 for example - and then you can do your move. Once the move is completed - update the nameservers and the dns will propogate in 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc., whatever you set it to above.
    Oh ok, so once you change the 14400, you still have to wait 24-48 hours until you move the accounts as the new server is still counting down from that original 14400, and then the new time will come into effect (5min or whatever you set) ?

I think that's what your saying, am I right?

Thats right

Quote Originally Posted by WiredMom View Post
    Thats right
    Alright, and someone was saying I believe, you keep it this way for 1 day, then after 1 day (24 hours), you would switch it back, and I assume to do that, you use the same command line and just use the 1400...?

Really appreciate it Mom others will too in the future who read this.

If you do a search--replace nothing will change until you restart named to reload the dns zones. And you need to tick the serial number up one in the zone files.

And depending on how long the transfer takes its still going to be sloppy unless you go in and manually change the a records to point to the new server after each domain is transferred. Or set up WHM's Cluster management so that the newest of the two DNS zone files is propogated to both servers when the account is created.

Then if any of those domains are using external DNS the users will still be going to the old server IP no matter what you do. That creates a whole other problem, because whn you turn the old server off, they contact you and when they change their A record to point to the new IP it is an older version of the site.

Also WHM has a way of rebuilding the zone files from scratch on the new server which erases all custom entries in the website's zone files (if any).

IOW - It's not easy no matter what you do. But 80 sites isn't many, so that's one thing going in your favor. I had to do it with about 15,000 last year. At the same time dealing with help desk tickets going from 20/day to 200/day. Have fun, and buy coffee
    Last edited by page-zone; 03-11-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Right - forgot about mentioning the restart
    And yes - I've run into that A record thing myself recently. Pain in the butt.

This script makes thing really convenient. Make sure you read the thread, and near the end there is a correction to the script that you need to fix. This is from the CPanel website.

Basically it does all the migration and DNS settings automatically for you. When people access the site before the NS propagation, the old server will send the visitor to the new server.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=65905

Hope this helps because it helped me a great deal.

Sam

And after all that you will end up with a bunch of clients whos ISP do not update their DNS servers often and they will all freak out. As stated Lower TTL and manually change the A records to point to the new server. That is all you can do but you should expect some clients to bounce between the servers for a short period. This will confuse forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhodes View Post
    That is all you can do but you should expect some clients to bounce between the servers for a short period. This will confuse forum members.
    You can make forum on both the servers access the same DB. e.g. change location of DB in old server to point to the new server. In place of localhost (in most cases), make it an IP of new server.

Of course, I am not aware of licensing problems, if any. But since it's the same domain name, it should not be a problem.

Hello

a newbie question about:

With this change master TTL..

Not needed to change minimum TTL or other NS / A / MX ?

Or SOA refresh ?

Thanks
    We need server tuning for improve mass mailing list. Please send PM if have knowledge
    TX