Domain propagation?

yes I am a noob, so bear with me

yesterday I purchased the domain that you can see in my signature

The host company said it can take 48 hours for it to propogate? I am of the understanding that means it will take 48 hours to appear on the internet. How will I know if its up online. Will they email me? I can see it myself, but Im pretty sure thats cos I am the owner of the site and logged into my Control Panel

Sorry for the very SIMPLE questions.

There's no real "definitive" way of knowing that your domain has propagated to every DNS server available.

If you can see it, chances are good that it's propagated to you.

Essentially, you can assume it's propagated everywhere within 48 hours.

The way people explain this is usually misleading to a "noob".

The 48 hours is how long the domain name will be cached for. For example, if I looked up that domain name now the router in the basement would keep your hosts answer for upto 48 hours.

If the answer changes and I look it up again, I might get my cached answer, or my router may have dropped the cache and I'll get the new answer.

If it's a new domain and no one has ever looked it up.. like in this case, there will be no caches and it should be online right away..

When I register a new domain name I check the root servers (and instruct my computer NOT to cache any answer) every few mins until it is live, this can be a quick as 5-10 mins.

Then if any one else looked it up at that point it would be live.

Your domain is live for me BTW, interesting idea, but I can't say I'll be donating

You should be careful. You site concept sounds a lot like a pyramid scheme.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    It's nothing like a pyramid scheme. He's offering to pay the top donors if certain levels are reached. A pyramid scheme requires active participation....

Quote Originally Posted by Xeentech View Post

When I register a new domain name I check the root servers (and instruct my computer NOT to cache any answer) every few mins until it is live, this can be a quick as 5-10 mins.
    How do you check the root servers every few minutes?

Its not, Im just a poor guy trying to keep his head above the water

The way people explain this is usually misleading to a "noob".

The 48 hours is how long the domain name will be cached for. For example, if I looked up that domain name now the router in the basement would keep your hosts answer for upto 48 hours.

If the answer changes and I look it up again, I might get my cached answer, or my router may have dropped the cache and I'll get the new answer.

If it's a new domain and no one has ever looked it up.. like in this case, there will be no caches and it should be online right away..

Then if any one else looked it up at that point it would be live.

Your domain is live for me BTW, interesting idea, but I can't say I'll be donating
    Awesome, thanks for the answer

Now donate lol

While not something I would "invest" in, it is nothing even remotely like a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes by desgin are whole un-sustainable and require new victims to continually join the pyramid. A quick look at the numbers here shows that it is sustainable, though not a good idea IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dnki View Post
    How do you check the root servers every few minutes?
    Depends on your domain name's TLD. For example if it is a .co.uk name you query ns#.nic.uk, where # is 1-7, if it is in one it's likely in the others, if I were doing it manually I'd just check one like so:
    Code:
    dig NS xeen.co.uk @195.66.240.130
    195.66.240.130 is ns1.nic.uk

If you get an authorative answer like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by dig
    xeen.co.uk. 172800 IN NS ns2.xeentech.com.
    It means the root server knows about your domain, and has forward you to the authoritative name server for your domain. If not you need to wait.

An important part of speeding this process up is to assign your domain's NS records at the time you purchase the name. If you assign them after it can take a while for your update to be reflected on the root servers, depending on the service you use.

don't be a cheater.... sound to me like a SPAM ...."Make Matty a Millionaire!"

Depends on your domain name's TLD. For example if it is a .co.uk name you query ns#.nic.uk, where # is 1-7, if it is in one it's likely in the others, if I were doing it manually I'd just check one like so:
    Code:
    dig NS xeen.co.uk @195.66.240.130
    195.66.240.130 is ns1.nic.uk

Thanks for replying.

How do you find out the root servers for each ccTLD ? Does GoDaddy's domain alert pro monitor the root servers or show the registry data?

maybe i should create one..

http://www.makestevenamillionaire.com

Quote Originally Posted by dnki View Post
    Thanks for replying.

How do you find out the root servers for each ccTLD ? Does GoDaddy's domain alert pro monitor the root servers or show the registry data?
    Well there are a number of "root servers" for all TLD, and they direct you to the TLD specific servers. Root servers are named [a-m].gtld-servers.net (last time I checked we were upto m).

d. resolves to 192.31.80.30. You can ask the root servers to resolve your domain and if they are not authoritative they will forward you to the named server for that TLD.