Thread: screen area

screen area

Hi,
    I've noticed that my pictures show up wider or narrower depending on what 'screen area' setting I use. I assume that other people see my page, also depending on which setting they're using. Is this true? If so, is there anything I can do to ensure that everyone sees the page the way I want?
    Thanks,
    john

Not sure what you mean by "screen area". Do you mean the screen resolution of the monitor? And do you specify the pixel size of your images, like: width="xx" height="yy" ?
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Pictures? Where ? On WHT you can have profile pictures? I am lost as to what you are talking about.

Moved to Computer Forum

I think he is referring to a widescreen or full screen setting. I'm not too sure how you would be able to deal with that. I think you will either have to pick one setting or the other. I'm not too sure though if I am right. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Hi,
    Thank you all for your replys. Sorry about the lack of clarity. I mean that when I set my screen at 800x600 as opposed to 1152x864, the pictures do not take up the same amount of screen, area, i.e. you have to scoll across to see them.
    I assume that everyone who does not use the same setting as I (1152x864) will see the picture with varying degrees of screen width??
    ...... john

How pictures look depend on how big they are. Just like your screen has a resolution (1152x864), so do the pictures (100x100 or 400x600 or 900x600 etc...).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Hi Amy,
    So most websites look different on different computers, depending on their screen resolution?
    ...... john

Exactly. Some sites use neat tricks to work nearly-identical across all resolutions, so it's not always blatantly noticeable.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Hi Amy,
    So, is there anything I can do to ensure that my site is seen the same across all resolutions?
    ........ john

Design it for a 800x600 fixed resolution and center it (I personally hate left aligned sites).

Then it is viewed on a 100000x100000 rez screen, the size will remain the same ratio.

An example at the moment would be my site, http://www.infinitetech.in/ -> take a look. Its designed for 800x600, so even if you view on a 1024x768 or some other resolution, nothing will be thrown out of place

You also have to combat different browser compatibilities. That story is even messier and all together different!

All the best

PS: images will always be the same. Even if you have a 1x1 rez or 10000x10000 rez screen unless you explicitly specify the width in fluid units (%).

Hi Ganesh,
    Thanks for the advice. You've done a nice job on your site, and you're right it does show up fine at 1024x768.
    I wasn't quite clear on what you were saying about images though. I find that when I view my site at 800x600 the page is about
    1 1/2 times as wide as with 1024x768, which is what I designed it with. Are you saying that the width will be right at both resolutions if I redesign it at 800x600?
    As far as browsers are concerned I think I'll just go with IE6. That's probably the safest bet.
    ........ john