Looking for advice and recommendation please

hi! i'm currently having a horrendous time with my webhost and am looking to switch. i have a personal hobby site that offers custom content downloads for a game. i also have a forum and a chatroom at the same site. in total, my site is @90MB plus a database for the forum and chat that is @6MB. in the past 6 months my site has never used more than 7BG of bandwidth. after a recent change in platform/server by the host the areas of my site that utilize the database have become painfully slow and riddled with session id problems. the host told me that my only option to fix these issues was to purchase VPS. i have a hard time believing that i need VPS for less than 7GB of traffic per month, but i will be the first to admit that i'm not very knowledgeable on the matter. so the advice i'm looking for is whether or not VPS is needed to continue my hobby site.

if VPS is not neccessary, do you have any reccomendations for a reasonably priced host (i'm on fixed income) that would serve my needs at the current level, and allow for some growth in my site.

i don't need tech support that can help me code or anything like that, but i do need them to know and understand the products and services that they offer.

thank you.

7Gb bw is not a little bw, even when i get 4k hits on my site i rarely use up 2 gb bw , so with 7gb i am assuming you are getting lots of traffic?

Anyways what is your budget like ?

as i said, i'm not very knowledgeable on the issue. in relation to the sites of my peers, i'm on the low end of the bandwidth scale, and in relation to the monthly bandwidth i'm alloted by the host (3000GB), i use less than 1%, that's all i have to gauge it. last month my site had 5122 visitors. roughly 50% of bandwidth usage is from zip file downloads.

my current plan, which is a 2 year term and was paid in advance, comes out to $4.95 a month. if what i need can be gotten for less than $7 per month i could manage. if what i need is going to cost more than that, i will have to just give up my site. at $7 dollars a month, paying monthly or even by 3 months is preferable to paying for a year or 2 years at a time. not that i'm meaning to sound cheap or greedy, but the less it costs, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mcloud View Post
    as i said, i'm not very knowledgeable on the issue. in relation to the sites of my peers, i'm on the low end of the bandwidth scale, and in relation to the monthly bandwidth i'm alloted by the host (3000GB), i use less than 1%, that's all i have to gauge it. last month my site had 5122 visitors. roughly 50% of bandwidth usage is from zip file downloads.

my current plan, which is a 2 year term and was paid in advance, comes out to $4.95 a month. if what i need can be gotten for less than $7 per month i could manage. if what i need is going to cost more than that, i will have to just give up my site. at $7 dollars a month, paying monthly or even by 3 months is preferable to paying for a year or 2 years at a time. not that i'm meaning to sound cheap or greedy, but the less it costs, the better.
    I think you should definitely be able to get what you are looking for, for $7 a month or under. You should take a look at the Hosting Offers section ( http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4 ) You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

thank you TheHostHouse. if it's looking like VPS is not neccessary, then i will go have a look there now. i appreciate your time.

i've spent much of the afternoon looking for an alternate host, following many links from the offers area as suggested, but honestly, after the post by Energizer Bunny regarding my usage, i'm worried and confused. i don't want to end up in the same predicament in a few months.

the problems i'm experiencing now only started after the host switched to a new platform, where all user data was stored centrally, and separate servers were designated for specific tasks. could my forum, which i thought was quite small, be causing the problems for the entire server that handles database driven applications? if i move to a new host, will i be causing problems there as well?

the areas of my site that do not rely on databases are not suffering any problems with speed, would i be better off just getting new hosting for my forum? is it unrealistic of me to try and have both the forum and the rest of the site hosted at the same place?

i appologize for asking so many questions, but i really am quite the "newbie" in this area.

I doubt you need a VPS and believe me 7GB of bandwidth is not alot by anyones calculations. Especially when you are offering downloads. I think Energizer bunny just didn't read that bit. A static html site with few images doesn't use much bandwidth. The host he reccomends in his signaturehe offers a "massive" 15gb of bandwith on its smallest plan.

Anyway what I would suggest is that you find a new host who has some sort of money back guarantee and then see how things go.

Worst case scenario :

Things don't peform as you'd like and you get a refund in the money back guarantee window and find another host to try or attempt to split things.

I certainly don't think you should have to split your site up without at least trying another host.

Find one that will work with you and one that can at least tell you what part of your site is causing the issues if there are any issues at all.
    Last edited by DATARTIM; 03-09-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sp
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by mcloud View Post
    i've spent much of the afternoon looking for an alternate host, following many links from the offers area as suggested, but honestly, after the post by Energizer Bunny regarding my usage, i'm worried and confused. i don't want to end up in the same predicament in a few months.

the problems i'm experiencing now only started after the host switched to a new platform, where all user data was stored centrally, and separate servers were designated for specific tasks. could my forum, which i thought was quite small, be causing the problems for the entire server that handles database driven applications? if i move to a new host, will i be causing problems there as well?

the areas of my site that do not rely on databases are not suffering any problems with speed, would i be better off just getting new hosting for my forum? is it unrealistic of me to try and have both the forum and the rest of the site hosted at the same place?

i appologize for asking so many questions, but i really am quite the "newbie" in this area.
    I really wouldn't think that your forum would be causing any sort of server wide problems. You also shouldn't have any problem hosting the forum and the rest of your website on the same host.

I think the best thing you can do, as Tim said would be to look for a host with a money back guarantee. So if you do have any problems, you won't have lost anything.