do you think hosting industry have tomorrow?

Hi,

i am sorry,i do not want to make controversy at all here,

i just want to discuss our job.

by the growing of google,

he try to offer free mailbox,google page,...etc,

you may need to wonder if he will offer free hosting package with php、mysql、... or vps and dedicated server,

i am not sure if the day will come,but i do think it is not impossible,

by the way,our job about hosting service may get minacity,

do you think how can we face this question? or you have any mind?

thanks

hi-those are good questions. i sometimes ponder what the big guys are planning next. an example would be the current msn-yahoo scenario which is just developing. anything is possible as they say regarding your question about google or some other corporate giant offering free hosting with extras. thanks

Yes, definitely, according to Porter's Generic Theories, we can see them falling into cost leaders, those like bluehost, hostgator, lunarpages who are selling as cheaply and with as much space and bandwidth as possible.

Those are Prominic etc that are specializing in say Lotus Notes and also local hosting providers concentrating only on their own countries leveraging on the speed within the country which in effect carving out a niche.

Those that combine web designing, programming or ecommerce of their own to offer a differentiation to other hosting companies.

In essence cost leaders, niche and differentiation, all of which are seen evolving in the hosting industry.

Yes, we all are at their mercy. If google decides to take on webhosting industry, then for them there would be no looking back, as they got world-wide acceptance on whatever they have touched.
    SparkSupport.Com - The Premier Tech Company
    Cloud Solutions|Email Infra setup|VOIP|Video Streaming|Software Development
    Email: [email protected] Phone : 1- 408-600-1449 | Skype : shijils

Quote Originally Posted by SparkSupport View Post
    Yes, we all are at their mercy. If google decides to take on webhosting industry, then for them there would be no looking back, as they got world-wide acceptance on whatever they have touched.
    Yet they flopped badly with Google video and had to buy YouTube to dominate that space. Surely their brand power could have dominated that space, but it didn't. The hosting industry is safe from Google, because hosting is a service oriented business. Can you imagine having to wait 5 days for a tech support response from Google?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I don't really think Google or Yahoo could take over the webhosting market simply because we are all different. We have different preferences in regards to control panels etc. Do some research and you will see that many Yahoo users are not satisfied at all. Even if they were able to afford all the free domain names and all the free server space they wouldn't be able to provide service for all those people for example and as a result of this some will get pissed of course. There is always going to be a market for other hosting companies. Even if it gets smaller some of us may go out of business but the market will regulate itself.

I am confident this market has a future and if not there are other things we can do like web design, programming, selling software etc. So don't panic.

i think this may need discuss from different aspect,

i believe there are still some people/company will pay the fee for hosting provider,

but some may think the free is ok,

and i think if google offer it,

it may smooth the way for easy operating.

thanks

If your company is based on rock bottom prices coupled with poor and slow support, then yes, industry giants like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc... will be a big threat. In a commodity based market, the big players will always win.

On the other hand, if your service and niche offerings are top notch, combined with sensible pricing and plans, you do not need to worry, but just be watchful and keep looking for new opportunities to excel.

- John C.

Just based on my own limited experience using several different hosts (one was a rather large well known company) and the servers were slow the support was even slower seemed I was just a number to them. I would prefer a host to offer reasonable packages for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCrowley View Post
    If your company is based on rock bottom prices coupled with poor and slow support, then yes, industry giants like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc... will be a big threat. In a commodity based market, the big players will always win.

On the other hand, if your service and niche offerings are top notch, combined with sensible pricing and plans, you do not need to worry, but just be watchful and keep looking for new opportunities to excel.

- John C.
    This is exactly how I feel.

Google, yahoo, 1and1, hostgator, bluehost, and all the others that currently (and will in the future) dominate the "free" and/or "low-cost" market will never compete with a hosting company that operates in the "service oriented" market.

If you are competing on price alone, then you will die (or be purchased) eventually. If you are competing on other variables besides price, then there is no serious competition from other companies who *do* compete on price alone.

In other words, the secret to longevity in this industry is to raise your prices and offer a *service* that makes your price a good deal to your customers.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

In theory they could take over all of webdom if they really wanted...

They could really pose a threat if they bought out large to medium sized hosts with good solid reputations and maintained the corporate infrastructure and key personnel...they could keep people around by offering great salaries after buyingthem out, helping to ensure things ran well.

Unfortunately (depending on how you look at it), people who get bought out and kept on don't always have the same passion for the gig as when it was their 'baby.'

Add to that the trend large companies have for messing with a good thing once they take it over, and you'd probably have google messing up a good chance at really cornering another aspect of internet commerce and industry.

Vertical integration usually ends up meaning a loss of quality and service...the bottom line rules all, and the human touch is lost.

And that human touch is what separates the corner store hosts (like me) from the "WalMart" type hosts. We corner store hosts can offer very competitive products but we give fast friendly and personal service, and not the canned 72 hour responses from the autobot techs. Hosting is a service oriented business.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    And that human touch is what separates the corner store hosts (like me) from the "WalMart" type hosts. We corner store hosts can offer very competitive products but we give fast friendly and personal service, and not the canned 72 hour responses from the autobot techs. Hosting is a service oriented business.
    Well said, but google has domain registra rights too, they could be preparing for something like this
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

No I'm pretty sure they did that so they could illegally harvest whois information.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Did all the other free email service providers shut down due to Gmail? No.
    Did all the other search engines shut down due to Google Search? No.

I am not sure why people think Google has taken over the Internet. They are multi-billion dollar company but they have not "taken over" anything.

Exactly , agreed.I dont think Google or Yahoo will think to do that stuff. They already have the competitors for search engines so let them work on only that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post

I am not sure why people think Google has taken over the Internet. They are multi-billion dollar company but they have not "taken over" anything.

Surely they would enter but would not succeed in this , more over their main stream business could get affected by this.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post

A very correct messgae for this thread.
    Google may be on top of everything, but they wont rule the World.
    Cheap web hosting directory with reviews of shared web hosting providers

Bluehost review - hosting features, support, and uptime

The hosting industry isn't guaranteed to have a tommorow.

Neither is any other industry, who knows what can happen.

But the real question your asking is, will google finish all other hosting companies ?

Answer: No.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Google is not a "me too" company. IMO it is a mistake to think Google will compete using the same business models or technologies used by the Web hosting companies.

I don't know if they would honestly be interested in tackling it. They have the funding I suppose, but I still think web developers and the likes would have huge impacts with keeping the smaller companies alive.
    TRAVSOLUTIONS.com
    Affordable Ecommerce Web Hosting Services
    http://www.travsolutions.com

/agreed....
    Regards,
    Ian weisberger

The Internet is a fickle place where companies come and go on a whim. Google has indeed changed the current landscape just like AOL, Prodigy, and CompuServe change the BBS landscape. The last few qtr's have not been good for google's current revenue model (ppc adverting) and they have to diversify their product line to stay alive.

It's only a matter of time before someone invents a better search engine algorithm that puts google on the shelf.
    ------------------------------------
    Get the best from Nuvad Technologies
    http://www.nuvad.com

It's a bit old topic, but here it comes:

I believe, that in some way, Google would help some hosting companies as well. You all have received / had at some point customers who always look for a cheaper service. And, yet (Murphy?) it is these customers who complaint most (by phone, or e-mail).

Now, if Google would offer free service, I bet that more then 50% of those would jump to it right away. Oke, leaving you $4 per month poorer, but again - saving you money and time to get to your other valuable customers...

So, it could be win win situation for some...

Cheers,
    Aleks

big companies over low prices, but small compaines have better customer service

Joelin, I think security issues will force many small providers out of business. Only the big guys with adequate capital are going to be able to defend against hackers.

Just as in any other industry, evolution plays an important role in determining where the web hosting industry and where your web hosting business will be in the future.

I strongly believe that many web hosting professionals here have the business savvy and the talent to build sustainable enterprises that will outlast many companies that try to offer cheap hosting. Those that find a niche market and build a loyal customer base will succeed.

However, web hosts that don't offer anything unique, or don't have great service -- well, everyone else will eventually win over your customers.

It's realistic to say that someone out there, today, is starting a web hosting business that will be very successful. However, it is tougher to do this now than it was at first, when web hosting was in its infancy.
    JP
    Justified Existence - my blog on blogging and writing for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by johnder View Post
    . . . However, it is tougher to do this now than it was at first, when web hosting was in its infancy.
    You got that right. Growth was much faster when I was building HTTPme, as it's been with my 2 current brands. No complaints though, and we are riding a bit of a wave with one of the brand now, so that's nice, but it's definently a different hosting landscape now, compared to 2001.

Personally I feel the industry is moving more and more away from single domain hosting, certainly what I am seeing anyway, your average consumer is becoming more confident and wants the ability to have more than 1 website. For that they want good support, and the likes of google cant offer that, all they can offer is a standard single package with a standard confirguration on their hardware.

Try asking them to install something different and you have no chance, as AB says, wait 5 days for a support response, yada...!