Fire Fox Eating my RAM

Why does it like chow down on my RAM more and more?
    Cheap hosting, not cheap service:
    http://www.aqns-hosting.com

Yeah it does that. Do you have alot of add-ons installed? Getting rid of the ones you dont use might help a bit.

yes,,, thats why i'm using Netscape navigator

Mine uses around 300-400 MB of RAM, but then again, I have around 50 tabs open at any given time. The more tabs you have, the more RAM it will use. The sites you are loading can make a difference as well. Interactive flash sites, or sites with lots of JS, will use up more RAM.

Another vote for Opera (unless you need lots of extensions).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Opera is nice but im so used to firefox that i would like to continue using it, i think im just going to get another gig of RAM. Costly but nonetheless effective
    Cheap hosting, not cheap service:
    http://www.aqns-hosting.com

9. Opera really rocks.. but still i love fire fox..
    the best way is increase your ram and usew firefox..

As you browse around, firefox stores everything you see in memory cache. The size of cache is automatically calculated and I have no idea how this calculation goes but it seems (at least on linux desktop) that there is no obvious limit. I have enough of RAM and linux does smart memory management, so this does not bother me, but if you want to have things under control you can do this:

- Type "about:config" in the address bar
    - Create or edit entry "browser.cache.memory.capacity" as set it up to "16384"
    That is 16 MB for memory cache and it should be more then enough. If your system memory is limited you can use smaller number. I think even 4MB (4096) should be just fine.

If you still see firefox using too much memory try running it in safe more ( on linux you just type "firefox -safe-mode", and I think there would be shortcut you can click on under windows) and see if that makes difference. If you do see difference the reason for growing memory usage is probably one of the extensions you use. For an example I am web developer and I use extension called "firebug" which with certain combination of settings will eventually eat much of your memory when you just leave firefox sitting on the site using certain javascript scripting (in this case that is actually desirable behavior).

Rather than meddling with the internal settings yourself, you might want to try: http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Yeah firefox provides better graphical rendering for websites for that shiny type of effects, along with loads of extensions. But if you do not have alot of avaliable extra ram set aside when using ff it can be very heavy on you. I recomment Opera also, i use this sometimes more than ff due to how fast it is, and it actually loads some web pages faster.

First off, I would definitely do what some other people have mentioned. Kill any extra addons etc you may be running.

Secondly, avoid restoring Firefox unless you really need to. Restoring Firefox to a previous session loads up all the stuff you had running before including the back and forward history for each tab. All of which can be very RAM intesive.