Thread: Help me decide?

Help me decide?

I cannot decide between

http://www.crucialp.com/reseller-hosting/
    http://www.hostgator.com
    http://www.spherewebhosting.com/index.cfm

The only missing feature at Host Gator is the dedicated IPs available with the reseller package. The other 2 reselers have it out of the box for free!

What i liked about HostGator is the fast response to my pre-sales questions. The other 2 came either no answer or very slow!

What would you recommend?

I have a budget of 35 to 45 USD so am looking more for a reliable rather than just a cheap reseller!

Well, if the other didn't respond you need to look at when you opened a ticket (business day?) and how long it has been (1 working day?).
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Last Wednesday, 22:00 central European time

After adding the dedicated IP to Hostgator package, is it more than the two others? You need to do some math, and not only consider the marketing stuff
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

Hostgator famous and one of the most popular hosting companies. But I did not hear others before. If you try search on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php when you can find a lot of positive reviews.
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.
    www.domaincart.net - Demo

I'd suggest taking a look round these forums and adding a couple of names to your list and firing off some pre sales questions.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Biggest problem with Hostgator is that they don't allow overselling.

How do you know were not that great if you never tried us?

Quote Originally Posted by softbasehost View Post
    True. Hostgator is not that great.
    What is the bad things? Did you try their services before?

Overselling is not good thing if it does not control carefully. Some companies like Hostgator may not allow what you make overselling. But they make overselling on their hosting plans. So they already provide a lot of space and bandwith and control overselling for you. This is better solution.
    Last edited by domaincart; 03-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.

* My Hostgator Experience

I'm a small-time web designer now on my third year with Hostgator. In all the time so far, there has not been a hint of an outage. Support issues are, in my experience, handled competently and quickly. I had previously experienced nightmares form other hosts.

There are two areas in which I am NOT happy with Hostgator:

1. FTP of large files and folders frequently time out, even with good FTP software. As a result, I don't encourage my clients to use FTP. I am quite disappointed with this....

2. Billing is so silent and automatic that I am still apprehensive about whether I have paid or not. I NEVER have received an invoice or any other hint that they know I exist since the initial sign-up. Last year, I called them to request that they send me an invoice. I suppose I will have to do that again this year. There used to be a place on their site to sign in and see your status, but that seems to have disappeared.

But overall, the lack of outages and competent support make me grateful enough to feel very secure with Hostgator, in view of some experiences I have had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by dhcart View Post
    ...Some companies like Hostgator may not allow what you make overselling. But they make overselling on their hosting plans...
    I wonder what would happen if someone actually used the 1TB of disk space Hostgator offers for 12.95/month? Anyone know if they would terminate your account?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesigners View Post
    I wonder what would happen if someone actually used the 1TB of disk space Hostgator offers for 12.95/month? Anyone know if they would terminate your account?
    We are talking about reseller hostings. Their reseller hosting plans provide 100GB space max in total and it's monthly price is $99.95. Anyone cannot use 1TB space or bandwith in practice on a shared hosting account. Because there are many liminations. For example if it use many system resource(CPU, Ram, Network... etc) when they suspend it of course. Because it shares the system resources with others on the server. Also there may be a file size limit that can be upload.
    Last edited by domaincart; 03-09-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhcart View Post
    ...Anyone cannot use 1TB space or bandwith in practice on a shared hosting account. Because there are many liminations. For example if it use many system resource(CPU, Ram, Network... etc) when they suspend it...
    My mistake. Some of their adds on the Internet are confusing. The 1 TB of disk space is for a shared plan. So if you can't use all the advertised disk space (reseller or otherwise), how do you know what you're really buying? I guess I would scratch any host off the list that doesn't give you what's advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    How do you know were not that great if you never tried us?
    Huh? Did I say anything about quality of your service? I just mentioned a fact that hostgator doesn't allow overselling. Is that not true?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesigners View Post
    My mistake. Some of their adds on the Internet are confusing. The 1 TB of disk space is for a shared plan. So if you can't use all the advertised disk space (reseller or otherwise), how do you know what you're really buying? I guess I would scratch any host off the list that doesn't give you what's advertised.
    For example: if you buy their Diamond reseller package when they provide 100gb space to you. If you decide providing 1GB hosting when you can host 100 domains. Then do all of your customers use all of their 1GB space really? No, of course. Someone can be use. But all of them are not. So you don't use 100gb space in practice. But you have 100gb space theoretically. This is overselling

My understanding of overselling is different from yours (and I'm not waying you're wrong... I may just not have understood it from the start )

I thought that if you have a reseller account allowing for example 10Gigs of space and 100Gigs of bandwidth and the host allows overselling, you could in theory sell 20 accounts with 1 Gig and 10Gigs respectively, assuming 2 times overselling. That's certainly how I understand clook.net to work. Here's a quote from their website

Overselling is the act of selling more resources than you have available to use and based on the assumption that not all hosting accounts will use 100% of resources purchased. This is used by resellers so that they can allocate 2 times more resources than they have available to use as long as actual does not exceed the account limits.
    As clook have been my only experience with hosts for the last 3+ years, I don't know the policies of other hosts... maybe clook are an exception.

To the OP, I can heartily recommend clook.co.uk (I've no affilliation to them), although they aren't doing US servers at the moment AFAIK if that's what you need. They used to but I think they're revamping their offering. You could try firing off an email to them, I think you'll be surprised at the speed.

with your budget you can get a fully managed VPS so you don't have to worry about resourced allocation and suspending of account or you can go with some failover or clustered reseller package too

In between three hostgator is the best