hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : How to setup a website similar to Facebook?

Forum Jump

How to setup a website similar to Facebook?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Web Hosting Guru

How to setup a website similar to Facebook?

How to setup a website similar to Facebook? I mean what kind of webhosting should i look at? What is the approx price i am looking at monthly on maintaining such a site? Also can such sites be maintained by just me or needs a team of people? Tnks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Community Liaison

How many users your think you will get on your site? similar to facebook think about thousands of dollars a month, but that is because of the great amount of users using the service.

I would advice to first make a business plan and do some market research to get this question answered better.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Custom Hosting Master

Well first you'll need to get someone to program the site for you, or do it yourself if you are well-versed in programming languages. Second you'll need to get a dedicated server to start off, and buy many more as you continue to grow. You'll need quite a bit of money to start something like this, not to mention people that will actually register on your site and visit it daily, so you can make some revenue from ads.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
How many users your think you will get on your site? similar to facebook think about thousands of dollars a month, but that is because of the great amount of users using the service.

I would advice to first make a business plan and do some market research to get this question answered better.
Well i believe facebook when it started it was not running its maintenance in thousands. Was looking at a couple of hundreds per mth. Is it too low? And also meaning to say one dedicated server is totally out?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Community Liaison

No, thats why i advice to make a business plan and do research of your market, if you only believe to get a few thousand customers you may handle it with maybe 1 server, if you expect tens of thousands you won't cut it that way. If you only expect a few hundred you may even have enough on shared hosting.

Without any expectations there is nobody who can give you solid advise.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Ok. Tnks. for advice. Will work the plan and maybe i can give a clearer pic. Tnks again.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Web Hosting Master

I would start off on shared hosting, no need to go straight for a dedicated server. There are thousands of sites like facebook, so you will have lots of competition. I would concentrate more on a marketing plan.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Facebook Ramps Up SMB Outreach as 30 Million Small Businesses Active on Pages Web Hosting News 2014-06-03 14:30:51
IDrive Launches Cloud-based Facebook Backup Web Hosting News 2013-11-25 13:29:42
1&1 Internet Launches Tool to Improve Social Media for MyWebsite Customers Web Hosting News 2013-07-09 14:23:42
Facebook's Recently Acquired Mobile App Platform Parse Launches Web Hosting for Developers Web Hosting News 2013-05-08 10:49:17
Facebook Aims for 25 Percent Renewable Energy Sources in Data Centers by 2015 Web Hosting News 2012-08-02 16:12:20