Question Hosting for an advertising network

Hello,

I need to find a hosting solution for an advertising platform. I was thinking about a dedicated server, but I really need excellent uptime, so this is not suitable. Basically I can't have downtime
    I don't need a beefy solution at first and I can't be too expensive (less than a hundred bucks), at least at the beginning. What do you suggest?
    Thanks,

A dedicated server will give you great uptimes, a shared hosting will not be suitable for your needs. Because you do not only need great uptimes but also great 'serving' times. So anything which is shared could potentially slow down the advertisements served to the customers.

A good clustered server environment would be solving your issue, and when you want to go international also geographically spread over continents.

Your budget is no way near enough to set this kind of thing up professionally.

You could start with finding a clustered web-host to start from, and move up from there. But remember that once the advertisements start to load slow no advertiser wants to be part of your network anymore, as this will also affect page loading of the websites who show your adds.

Thanks. I was thinking about The Grid Layer, or MediaTemple's GridServer, to start off. What do you think?

Those are totally different things. The Grid Layer would be more expensive and much more complex than MT's GridServer, allowing more scalability, depending how high you think you will grow.

What kind of software will you be using? When it comes to advertising engines, the key elements are availability and response times. Thus, I think you should opt for a dedicated server close to your market.

calande,

That would a way to start off, while performance might be an issue, in general a site like this will cause many connections to the server from a lot of different locations. i.e. if your advertisement service would be used on a busy website, lets say i.e. digg (yeah i know everyone would dream of that). it means your site get digged 24x7x365 a day, as each digg would show your advertisement.

hope this helps you understand why a dedicated (or even large clusters of dedicated servers) are needed in this business.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Also, quite a few advertising engines have a maintenance-script that runs once every 24hours to keep the database/statistics in a good shape. If you don't have enough resources to burst, your adverts will run slow during this maintenance period.

Thanks, guys. The system is developed in PHP and Berkeley DB. The problem is that I have had lots of downtime with dedicated servers over the last few years with other systems (HDD to change, RAM to add, failing PSU, etc...). What about a shared cluster? Something with great uptime and performance that can be shared among a handful of customers?

Shared means just that, shared, if the clusters are balanced well to your needs it might be working, but since you never know what other customers are on there, it may not suitable for you. You could try to start out that way though.