Thread: simply put

* simply put

My best suggestion would be to first place this post within the shared hosting section, or even the dedicated servers section if you want your own server and can afford one.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    My best suggestion would be to first place this post within the shared hosting section, or even the dedicated servers section if you want your own server and can afford one.
    Thread Moved
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

I wouldn't recommend it.The best bet would be a good shared hosting account.
    -

@basforte Hosting your website "at home" is not good idea.

For the money and hassle it would cost you to do it at home,not too mention the poor perfomance. You would be better off just spending a few dollars a month for a shared host.

Domains cost up to $9 or so and then you have everything and can set about getting a site up.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

what is your budget?
    what type of web site?
    how much disk space?
    how much transfer?
    what additional software (if any)?
    if most of the answers are "low, nothing" or "not too much nor too complicated", i would definitely stay with any shared hosting.
    unless you have a big site, with lot of information on the server or you need better transfer speed.
    you'd better post on a dedicated hosting forum, if you'd finally decided to go with a dedi.
    best!
    You know BRIGHT BOYS ?
    DETAILS HERE
    services-4U - Cheap hosting, cheap domain registration, cheap web sites, cheap email, cheap other stuff

Not worth the hassle. You can't beat shared
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

www.dslwebserver.com might be an interesting read for you.

IMO, with shared hosting being so cheap, if your time is worth anything, it's not worth the trouble to host from home.

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. I agree with everything that you have said and will stay with my present hosting package.
    Thanks again

Ed Forte

Dont forget if you do run a "Hot/Popular" Website... a broadband connection isnt going to be what you need.. better off getting a hosting account somewhere

The thing most people don't pay any attention to is that it's the UPSTREAM that's very important for a web server.

You may have a 15mbps connection (download) but often times the upspeed is somewhere between 256kbps and 768kbps. And this has to send all requests/pages/images to every user as well as support your own browsing/email/downloading.

If you have more upstream (such as a 10/10/ 15/10 plan) then this may be more feasable but I would not run an important web site on a home connection. If you have a power outage - the site will go down, if you have a cable outage - the site will go down.

If it's just a small personal web site then I don't see why it'd be an issue. Also many internet service providers in their Acceptable Use Policy specifically prohibit business web sites (or any web site) from being hosted on a regular consumer connection and require that you pay for a business connection to be able to do so.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by basforte View Post
    Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. I agree with everything that you have said and will stay with my present hosting package.
    Thanks again

Ed Forte
    I'm glad you made the right decision, Ed