Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* HostGator - VERY Disappointed - Is There a BETTER Shared Host for the Same Price?

Hello.

I recently signed up to HostGator, after performing a lot of research on the front end and reading how they had great speeds etc... However that has sadly NOT been my experience so far!

The download speeds have been significantly slower than what I had with 1&1, with server loads averaging in the high 5's with 2 cpus. (Due to the reviews I had read, I expected HostGator to be significantly quicker than 1&1, but the opposite has been true so far.)

There were quite a few complications with moving my vB site over (which I had them migrate for me), and several aspects still aren't functioning correctly. They lost some of the special characters in the database on the first move attempt. Now a bunch of my pages on my vB are coming back with a 404 File Not Found error, such as my User CP, Profile, Options, Avatar, etc...

In addition to all of that, I have a half dozen sites which use FrontPage extensions, that have been an absolute nightmare to try to migrate over to their server! When I try to upload these sites, they keep aborting the upload with different server related error messages. The forms and other FrontPage extension related features have not been working correctly. I've had probably 30+ correspondences with HostGator tech support, most which take on average 12+ hours to hear back on, and many of my issues are still unresolved.

It has become a part-time job to try to work all the bugs out with them!

Prior to signing up with HostGator, I had considered Host Monster as another alternative. I went with HostGator because they had by far the best reviews. But right now, talk is cheap and they are not cutting it!

Would anyone recommend Host Monster over HostGator? Or is there another shared host for around $10 per month who out performs both of these?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm getting very frustrated!

Thanks!
    Jeff

If you were happy with what 1and1 offered, why did you even bother to switch?

Yes, HostGator has better reviews than 1and1. Loads of users think 1and1 is a terrible host when you search these forums. However, doesn't mean you will get what other users said, especially if you are on different plans, servers, etc...

VB isn't mean't to be ran on shared hosting environments, unless they are very small and even then most users choose VPS or higher. Maybe you should do the same.

If you are experiencing 404 errors, means files are missing, every try deleting them and uploading again? Or contacting VB since it is THEIR software.

If you are running half dozen sites and VB forum, why not stop looking for massive oversellers and look for quality shared hosting or VPS?

Hi

Sorry to hear about your issues but I'm sure if you gave them a call or contacted them on their forums with a ticket id, the senior management will take note of the issue and get it resolved for you. Also the owner of hostgator is frequent of WHT so i'm pretty sure he'll get the issue resolved for you whether it is technical on their end or your end.

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by boldoutlook View Post
    If you were happy with what 1and1 offered, why did you even bother to switch?

Yes, HostGator has better reviews than 1and1. Loads of users think 1and1 is a terrible host when you search these forums. However, doesn't mean you will get what other users said, especially if you are on different plans, servers, etc...

VB isn't mean't to be ran on shared hosting environments, unless they are very small and even then most users choose VPS or higher. Maybe you should do the same.

If you are experiencing 404 errors, means files are missing, every try deleting them and uploading again? Or contacting VB since it is THEIR software.

If you are running half dozen sites and VB forum, why not stop looking for massive oversellers and look for quality shared hosting or VPS?
    I left 1&1 primarily because they only allowed 100MB max MySQL databases, which are not large enough for a vB site.

I have a brand new vB site, with less than 30 members, and from everything that I've read, it would be ridiculous to consider a VPS or a dedicated server at this stage.

As for the 404's, I've checked via FTP and the files appear to be there just fine. They worked a week ago, and I haven't changed anything since. Maybe HG screwed something up when they were trying to fix another issue.?.?.?.

Quote Originally Posted by NashChristian View Post
    I left 1&1 primarily because they only allowed 100MB max MySQL databases, which are not large enough for a vB site.

I have a brand new vB site, with less than 30 members, and from everything that I've read, it would be ridiculous to consider a VPS or a dedicated server at this stage.

As for the 404's, I've checked via FTP and the files appear to be there just fine. They worked a week ago, and I haven't changed anything since. Maybe HG screwed something up when they were trying to fix another issue.?.?.?.
    I stated VPS or dedicated because of the resources and that VB uses. If you have a small community, as I said thats fine, but the reason why you created a forum with VB because you expect it to grow beyond small amounts; if not alternative like PunBB or MyBBoard would be better.

If you believe 404 errors are from HostGator, open up tickets, emails, live chat, phone them and also contact VB at the same time, they have a very active community.

Would anyone recommend Host Monster over HostGator? Or is there another shared host for around $10 per month who out performs both of these?
    I wouldn't.

Have you contacted them about the slowness? It could be one user or the server could be overloaded, although they are usually pretty good at keeping things stable.

If you are done with hostgator, start by telling us what you need.

Space, bandwidth etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex View Post
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your issues but I'm sure if you gave them a call or contacted them on their forums with a ticket id, the senior management will take note of the issue and get it resolved for you. Also the owner of hostgator is frequent of WHT so i'm pretty sure he'll get the issue resolved for you whether it is technical on their end or your end.

Good luck!
    I'm on hold with HG as we speak. I really like how their package looks from a distance, I just want it all to work as it should. Maybe they just have me on a bad server.

I expected a lot from HG from what I had read, and so far I've been really disappointed.

Maybe they can make a believer out of me yet, but something is going to have to change.

Thanks for the encouragement.
    Jeff

I agree, try to find out what the issue exact reason for you issues. Tell them you leaving unless they can figure it out for you. HG is a great host so long as your site does not overload their servers which is not the case with your site. Most likely your on a server with another site(s) that is over using the resources. As far as hostmonster I recommend them their services too.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

I would definitely NOT recommend Hostmonster or Bluehost (both owned by the same guy) if you don't like Hostgator.... HM/BH are known to have very restrictive server policies with auto-suspension triggers when you use "too much resources"... but it really doesn't seem to take much at all to trigger it. People have reported the issue while backing up a WP database and other simple tasks.

I hope Hostgator's support comes through for you. I have tried them a few times and always found their servers to be very fast and with light loads... I would think that they can get you situated, and if not you can count on the owner to notice this thread and help you out directly... he's a good dude and will go out of his way to make things right.

I'm sure HG will sort you out and if not look for another host on here.

But I disagree with what one user said, VB can run very well in a shared hosting enviroment especially if its managed well.

Best of luck in getting things sorted out.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    I'm sure HG will sort you out and if not look for another host on here.

But I disagree with what one user said, VB can run very well in a shared hosting enviroment especially if its managed well.

Best of luck in getting things sorted out.
    As I stated VB can run great on shared hosts, but not massive overseller like HG or 1and1. After a certain point, service lacking or quality lacking will happen.

Hostgator customer support in my experience has been wonderful and prompt. Give them a shot to fix the problem and if they can't then I'd check my options.

On the server I originally rented from them there were a couple minor misconfigurations that I personally would never have found that the system admins found in seconds and fixed immediately after I contacted support.

This is why I pay people to handle server administration for me nowadays.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Ok, the 404 was my fault! It appears that the servers at 1&1 allowed some "slop" in the naming convention, where with HG the naming convention has to be EXACT.

The HG tech support rep I just spoke with, actually found this for me.

My bad!

May I ask what your actual usage is out of the 100's of gb provided by HG and other web hosting companies? How much bandwidth monthly and disk space do you use?

If you are having issues with HG support, it's best to ask them to assign your ticket to Brent or email Brent personally at brent at hostgator.com

My bad!
    Yaa ur bad, u should take some icey carrots and fix it all up .

Alls well that ends well !!

You may consider looking into some other hosts that are slightly more expensive but, presumably, don't load up their servers with hundreds of clients to a box. Some of these include: HostMySite, Hostway, Gate.com or GlowHost Internet Solutions.

I'd still recommend 1&1 Internet. That sucks they limit you to 100 MB mySQL databases, but that's very large for all text. That's got to be at least 50,000 members and 200,000 threads. If you're running a forum larger than that, it's time to step up to a VPS or, better yet, a dedicated server. If my numbers are off, show me. I have no idea but I also know 100 MB is a hell of a lot for text within a database.

As for Daniel's comment about BlueHost and HostMonster being owned by the same guy, he's right. The owner is Matt Heaton (there may be other owners too, I'm not too sure - from what I can tell, he's very secretive and obfuscates his WHOIS information and doesn't disclose the company's legal corporate entity). He also owns FastDomain, the newest Web hosting brand and also the ICANN accredited registrar in the group. Additionally, he owns the slightly mothballed and moribund 0catch.com, an ad-supported free and paid hosting service he created in 2000 shortly after he sold FreeServers and 50megs (and a bunch of other brands) to the Web Services Division of About.com, Inc. (The Web Services Division was branded as About Web Services and sold several years ago for about $12 million to United Online, Inc. and renamed Mega Web Services, Inc. It has been renamed yet again as United Online Web Services, Inc.)

Cheers,
    Doug

Hostgator is terrible. I was with them for about 10 days until I started getting serious slow speeds. I requested a refund in full and received it, I suggest you do the same. I say eleven2 is the way to go. Stay away from monsters and gators.

Quote Originally Posted by Evade Hosting View Post
    Hostgator is terrible. I was with them for about 10 days until I started getting serious slow speeds. I requested a refund in full and received it, I suggest you do the same. I say eleven2 is the way to go. Stay away from monsters and gators.
    Did you submit a ticket so they were given the chance to fix the speed issues? They are a large company, and things aren't instantly fix, but if given the opportunity to resolve it, I am sure they would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Salter View Post
    Did you submit a ticket so they were given the chance to fix the speed issues? They are a large company, and things aren't instantly fix, but if given the opportunity to resolve it, I am sure they would have.
    I did. They said there was nothing wrong with the server, and that it's just my internet connection.

Not only is this not true, but it has nothing to do with the problems the OP is reporting.

vBulletin is just fine on a shared environment, until the forum is of quite substantial size and activity.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Jeff, I am not sure where you got this idea... you will only need a few MB of space for a vBulletin database.

As your site grows, so will your MySQL database, but you have a long, long, long, LONG way to go before you are anywhere near 100 MB.

For example, I have been running a vBulletin forum for 2.5 years new, and it uses < 28 MB of disk space. It's not huge, nor is it insanely active, but then again, most boards are small....

vBulletin is excellent software and frankly you would be foolish to ditch it for a different forum script, especially a lesser-known and lesser-used script. vBulletin is popular, super-feature rich, and has a very active developer community. The combination of those factors makes it an excellent choice for growing your forum.

Hope this helps to shed a little background information on how hosting and your chosen scripts work ~~

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Regarding the FrontPage problems, I've seen others have such issues with HG. It seems they are not so fond of dealing with FrontPage there.

Personally I wouldn't touch FrontPage with a 10-foot pole but that's just me....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I use and recommand hostingzoom

Hi Jeff, are your sites slow or do you think that the high average load is an issue? If you are looking for a alternative, do you have any preferences on control panels (does it have to be a cPanel-enabled hosting provider, for example?)?

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems though, I hope it'll resolve for you.

Have you looked up the Find a Host link here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showcases/ ?
    You know BRIGHT BOYS ?
    DETAILS HERE
    services-4U - Cheap hosting, cheap domain registration, cheap web sites, cheap email, cheap other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Evade Hosting View Post
    There are always cases where customers experience bad service - it happens unfortunately. Hostgator has a good reputation, so they must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Jeff, I am not sure where you got this idea... you will only need a few MB of space for a vBulletin database.

As your site grows, so will your MySQL database, but you have a long, long, long, LONG way to go before you are anywhere near 100 MB.

For example, I have been running a vBulletin forum for 2.5 years new, and it uses < 28 MB of disk space. It's not huge, nor is it insanely active, but then again, most boards are small....
    If the OP has a lot of attachments (and store them in the database), the database will grow fast. I run a vBulletin based BBS myself, and the database is approx 500 MB.

As I stated VB can run great on shared hosts, but not massive overseller like HG or 1and1. After a certain point, service lacking or quality lacking will happen.
    I used to run vBulletin on HG that had 50 users on all the time. Worked fine.

And I hope HG works out for you.

I'd recommend DreamHost. (don't kill me)
    semi-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    He is very much concerned on speed...

Also to the OP, where do you live?
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    Dreamhost are friendly and all of that, but I wouldn't recommend them for anything database driven.

vBulletin is excellent software and frankly you would be foolish to ditch it for a different forum script, especially a lesser-known and lesser-used script. vBulletin is popular, super-feature rich, and has a very active developer community. The combination of those factors makes it an excellent choice for growing your forum.

Hope this helps to shed a little background information on how hosting and your chosen scripts work ~~

Bailey
    As I stated VB can run fine on quality non-massive oversellers.

I would take dreamhost from that, I've used them for a simple wordpress, their mysql servers are scary slow. I wouldn't want to know how slow for his vB...
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

As I stated VB can run fine on quality non-massive oversellers.
    Actually you never stated that in your initial replies. Go back and read your own posts.

Additionally, I was responding to the OP, not to you boldoutlook. This thread is about the OP's needs...

Bailey

I'm on hold with HG as we speak. I really like how their package looks from a distance, I just want it all to work as it should. Maybe
    What is it that you like about their packages? They offer standard services, though they do offer massive amounts of space and bandwidth. You mentioned that you have a new website; short of becoming the new YouTube, it is almost impossible to use the amounts of space and bandwidth they offer - and in-fact it seems to me that your websites are suffering because of this overselling (slow speed, as you mentioned above). You also appear to be unsatisfied with their support, as they haven't helped you to figure out what the root of the issue is with your vB (although this is standard for many companies, some smaller ones will assist with scripts if the issue is possibly related to the server).

I'm sure your website doesn't load slow on our servers. It may low slow for you as we don't have control of your isp or your location.

Could you post your domain and ask everyone here how fast it loads? I'm sure the majority of people will say it loads instantly.

Based on what your saying about the naming it sounds like you were on 1and1 windows hosting which doesn't require exact capitalization. Unlike windows with linux you have to capitalize perfectly.

Frontpage hasn't been updated / supported on linux by msf in years now. It's most likely going to be problematic with any linux host you go with especially coming from windows hosting.

Actually you never stated that in your initial replies. Go back and read your own posts.

Additionally, I was responding to the OP, not to you boldoutlook. This thread is about the OP's needs...

Bailey
    So what, I didn't state it in my original post? I stated it later on if you read my other posts. Secondly, I know it is about the OP needs, thats why I was talking to the OP about his needs, what happened and possibilities.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    May I ask what your actual usage is out of the 100's of gb provided by HG and other web hosting companies? How much bandwidth monthly and disk space do you use?

If you are having issues with HG support, it's best to ask them to assign your ticket to Brent or email Brent personally at brent at hostgator.com
    Currently the sum of my websites is around 1 GB of storage, with around 2 GB of monthly bandwidth. Of course I've just launched my vB site, and need an account that will allow sufficient storage and bandwidth for whatever that develops into. Additionally, I host about a half-dozen FrontPage powered sites. (I know that FrontPage is junk and is no longer supported by Microsoft - but it still offers some functionality to my old websites that would take me a lot of TIME to reprogram.)

I know that I don't need the 100's of GB offered by HG, but I would like at least 5 GB with enough bandwidth that my usage never becomes an issue, and with a server load that allows consistently fast page load speeds. AND I don't want to pay more than about $10 per month.

So that was why I was attracted to HostGator. I had read really good reviews about the response speeds of their servers, even with the use of vB sites. But as I stated, so far, 1&1 was much quicker!

Thanks for the email addy on Brent, is he the owner of HG that I was told about earlier in this thread?

I copied him on my latest support ticket, where I am basically being told why it isn't HG's fault that my page is loading slowly... Hopefully he will take more of a proactive stance, and can bring some resolution to this problem.

So as a side note, what would everyone say is a "good" response time for a vB home page to load? I know that it is going to vary a lot, but give me an average of what you consider "good". From the time you hit return, until the time when the page is fully loaded. How long should it take?

I've also noticed on my vB site, that HG seems to pull my header quite quickly, but then there typically is a significant amount of lag time before the body of the page appears. What would cause this? Is this because it is slower to process the PHP because of server load? (averaging in the high 5's with 2cpus) Is this because their MySQL configuration is slower to respond than 1&1's? What types of scenarios should I be looking for here?

I'm on a cable connection, so I don't believe the lag is on my end.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the assistance!
    Jeff

Lightbulb

Thanks for the feedback Baily, but my reasoning has been as follows:

I currently have a 13 MB database and I am almost the only person who has posted anything so far, as the site is brand new. It only stands to reason that this will change exponentially as the site grows.

I know I might be able to make it on 100 MB for the first year, but I want a solution that will work more long-term than that.

I've also heard that the larger your database is, the harder it is to move. (I experienced some complications just with having HG transfer this tiny database.) So it seems to make sense to me to move it now, while it is small, and while the site has very low traffic. Otherwise that is added downtime for DNS to propagate, etc... AFTER the site gets popular. That doesn't make sense to me.

I may be flawed in my thinking, but that is my logic.

Thanks!
    Jeff

I'm not sure how the fact that you can't move the site is HG's fault, even if they helped move it, which in itself is to their credit. It's your job to move, edit, and troubleshoot your website. And as HG said, FrontPage is dead. Why is that fact causing you to be disappointed in Host Gator? Contact Microsoft and ask them to begin supporting FP on Unix again. FP extensions always sucked.

And a load of 5 on 2 cpu's isn't even close to being a problem. Usually what it means is the websites are being backed up. 5 is nothing. At 20 you would notice slowness. Not 5.

To HG: Helping someone move their site is a slippery slope that almost always ends up in you taking abuse from the person you tried to help if it happens to not go perfectly.
    Last edited by page-zone; 03-09-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Currently the sum of my websites is around 1 GB of storage, with around 2 GB of monthly bandwidth. Of course I've just launched my vB site, and need an account that will allow sufficient storage and bandwidth for whatever that develops into. Additionally, I host about a half-dozen FrontPage powered sites. (I know that FrontPage is junk and is no longer supported by Microsoft - but it still offers some functionality to my old websites that would take me a lot of TIME to reprogram.)
    You are better off with a host that doesn't oversell. The chances of you having load problems and speed issues will drop considerably. You are on a server with over 700 other domains, there is going to be issues.
    I know that I don't need the 100's of GB offered by HG, but I would like at least 5 GB with enough bandwidth that my usage never becomes an issue, and with a server load that allows consistently fast page load speeds. AND I don't want to pay more than about $10 per month.
    Check out the offers forum, there are hundreds of hosts that offer what you need. Make sure you do background checks, like searching WHT for reviews etc.
    So that was why I was attracted to HostGator. I had read really good reviews about the response speeds of their servers, even with the use of vB sites. But as I stated, so far, 1&1 was much quicker!
    Vb has nothing to do with it, the server you are on has a load average of 5, which I can assume may have a part in the issues you are having.
    Thanks for the email addy on Brent, is he the owner of HG that I was told about earlier in this thread?
    Brent (the owner) already commented here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...9&postcount=35

So as a side note, what would everyone say is a "good" response time for a vB home page to load? I know that it is going to vary a lot, but give me an average of what you consider "good". From the time you hit return, until the time when the page is fully loaded. How long should it take?
    Anywhere between 1 and 3 seconds is acceptable to my standards, but for a bare forum with little graphics etc, 2 seconds max.[/quote]
    I've also noticed on my vB site, that HG seems to pull my header quite quickly, but then there typically is a significant amount of lag time before the body of the page appears. What would cause this? Is this because it is slower to process the PHP because of server load? (averaging in the high 5's with 2cpus) Is this because their MySQL configuration is slower to respond than 1&1's? What types of scenarios should I be looking for here?
    A load of 5 is high for 2 CPUs, have you submitted a ticket to them about that?
    It could be something to do with the MySQL configuration, but I doubt it.
    I'm on a cable connection, so I don't believe the lag is on my end.
    What is the domain? So we can see if it loads fast for us.

I currently have a 13 MB database and I am almost the only person who has posted anything so far, as the site is brand new. It only stands to reason that this will change exponentially as the site grows.
    The database is loaded with stuff at the beginning, so it will always start around 10-13MB, but it won't grow very fast.
    I've also heard that the larger your database is, the harder it is to move. (I experienced some complications just with having HG transfer this tiny database.) So it seems to make sense to me to move it now, while it is small, and while the site has very low traffic. Otherwise that is added downtime for DNS to propagate, etc... AFTER the site gets popular. That doesn't make sense to me.
    You are on cPanel now, with cPanel, you can move servers pretty much instantly, the new host would just need your login information, it is all automated. So that wouldn't be an issue, and until your database gets to around 300 MB, importing it shouldn't be an issue either. That is the benefit of using a commercial control panel rather than a proprietary one like 1and1s.

I kinda lost track of all the quoting etc, so let me know if I missed something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast