Thread: making money

making money

Is it possible to make money in the webhosting buisness? It seems like a big investment to me with little returns.. please don't flame - I am just curious.. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by asuwebguy View Post
    Is it possible to make money in the webhosting buisness? It seems like a big investment to me with little returns.. please don't flame - I am just curious.. thanks.
    It's possible but it's a lot easier if you have a partner or an actual business plan.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

As with any business, you need to innovate. If you the same thing everyone else is doing, you will hard a hard time surviving.

Startup costs for web-hosting are actually tremendously low compared with a typical business (which is probably why there are so many hosts run by 13 year-olds).
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

You could start off with some places to resell through such as http://www.resellerspanel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by asuwebguy View Post
    Big investment? Not at all. And that's part of the problem, because the barrier to entry is so low that you have so much competition. When you have that much competition in a commodity market, you end up with low margins.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Every business has its difficulties when you are still small, but after you get going it becomes easier as you go. Large hosts like hostgator, etc. are pulling in millions in profit.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    Startup costs for web-hosting are actually tremendously low compared with a typical business (which is probably why there are so many hosts run by 13 year-olds).
    I don't get why these children try to start a company. It's quite stupid if you look at it. An infant's grammar in itself will turn off any potential customers. Not to mention not being able to properly manage support questions and server management. How much can you know on the subject at 13?

Asuwebguy, if you're 13-17 (not that you'd admit you are anyway), I highly suggest not trying it. It's too risky / not worth it. On the other hand, if you're a grown adult; I always think starting off with as a small reseller and overselling your plans is a good way to start. If you're pulling in profit, then update to a VPS, then eventually rent your own server. And the best tip in web hosting, niches. I would tell you more about it, but I'd have to kill you.

Good luck mate.