Lightbulb What are DNS servises like zoneedit & everydns do ??

What sites like zoneedit and everydns.net really do ??

I saw some high alexa sites using them as there nameserver , then I come to know that they dont host sites , so wats the purpose of these sites and how can i use them with my shared hosting ??

thanks.

They handle the DNS queries, most (not all) hosting companies offer you also DNS services but are not specialized in it, a lot of them even run their 2 DNS servers on the same machine. When the server goes down, also the DNS is unreachable, if this takes to long it can happen that your domain is not resolvable for a short period of time.

In other words if you search for a more solid DNS solution you could go to companies like them, another one is easydns.com

How ? You will need to subscribe to their services, change your domain name at the registrar to point to their DNS servers, and add all DNS records to their DNS server.

Remember that this kind of setup often disables the possibility of you changing your DNS setting in i.e. cPanel, thus if you create a subdomain, you also have to create this in your DNS by hand.

Hope this helps.

Think of it as a backup if your DNS server goes down.
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

Well, one of the main benefits of some of the DNS providers is they provide additional services/benefits. Many provide DNS failover services, so if a server on one IP goes down, it will start directing people to a different IP. They normally provide globally dispersed DNS servers, which improves both the speed and reliability of responses. Then they also provide protection against DDoS and various other attacks specifically against DNS services by having DNS specific security measures, global load balancing, etc.

Overall, for large sites it is generally a cheap way to assure that DNS is never going to be an issue for them, that their customers will always receive prompt and correct DNS responses. Considering how relatively inexpensive these services are, it can make a lot of sense.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

thanks friends , i have come to an conclusion that these service are ment for people hosting there sites from home , and havning dial up connection at home where ip address is dyanmic , to make it static they go 4 these servises .??

Quote Originally Posted by lion21 View Post
    thanks friends , i have come to an conclusion that these service are ment for people hosting there sites from home , and havning dial up connection at home where ip address is dyanmic , to make it static they go 4 these servises .??
    Well sorta...

I use DME and love it. I've got a site at home that I use for testing and to store my music on. What DME let's me do very easily (besides having uptime of 100%) is have a subdomain to assign to my webserver at home. So if I have:

domain.com

and I want to host something at home, it takes no time at all to create:

homeserver.domain.com

Very easy stuff. Plus you can easily configure things link Google For Your Domain (change your MX records), etc., etc. Yes, it's a little overkill for most people but if you've ever wanted to get into DNS and feel better about having excellent uptime, those DNS services are a great bet.