Cage Expansion question

So heres a question for all.

Say you have a cage thats 8x12 and you need to add another row, so your cage now becomes 14x12. Now the cage installation is per linear foot. so if they are bumping one of the 12 feet walls out 6 feet. What do you think you should be charged? 6 + 6 + 12? or 6 + 6 + 12 + 12 OR 14 + 14 + 12 + 12?

Also what do you think the legality of a company charging you for a 6 + 6 + 12 + 12 expansion when the other 12 foot section is never touched? Charging for a service that isn't ever done?

I dont know. In materials you only have 12 ft of new caging. 2x6 ft extentions. One 12 ft side needs to be moved and the other stays where it is. Charging the install for the entire linear footage of a new cage seems a bit much when you have paid for it once already and are growing with them. I'd push back on that.....they will get you where they can...install is a combination of time and materials?

I could see them charging for the 2 6 ft. sections and the 12 foot section, as work needs to be done on all those sections. I could even see more if certain other walls need to be taken down to assure everything is space properly, etc. Charging for things that aren't even touched wouldn't seem to make any sense though.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

In this situation we would charge for the 2x 6' extension pieces, and then for any additional pieces/labor that would need to be added/changed to the existing 12' side. If they are charging you to build a whole new cage, you're getting gouged.
    Travis T | VP
    Data102
    - Colorado Springs' Public Datacenter
    Virtual Private Servers | Colocation | VoIP Hosted Handsets | Email Firewalls | And More

www.Data102.com | Speed Test | 719-387-0000 | 888-328-2012 | Call us Today!

You could also approach it from the point of view of: how do costs compare for lengthening two sides, and moving one side, of an operational cage, versus building an empty cage. The contractors who assemble empty cages may also be different people than those who the operator trusts to lift cage panels while standing 1 foot from a customer's fiber distribution panel.