Seeking advice on feeding RSS news to webpage

Hi folks,

To add RSS news to webpage whether it needs a RSS generator running on the server? What additional software are also required?

On searching RSS generators on Internet I found "ListGarden"
    http://www.softwaregarden.com/products/listgarden/

It is free to download. What alternatives on Open Source would be recommended?

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

RSS just involves creating an XML file, which can be done in notepad by hand.
    If we do not plant knowledge when young, it will give us no shade when we are old.
    Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWilliams View Post
    RSS just involves creating an XML file, which can be done in notepad by hand.
    Thanks for your advice. Could you please provide more info. Pointers would be appreciated.

I'm prepared to have the news pages feeded from "RSS News Feeds"
    http://rssfeedreader.com/

satimis

Any RSS feed is just a simple XML file in fact and there are a lot of ways to generate it. rssfeedreader.com should also work.

Don't forget to add your feed to FeedBurner then, you will get a lot of benefits there.

Quote Originally Posted by beow View Post
    Any RSS feed is just a simple XML file in fact and there are a lot of ways to generate it. rssfeedreader.com should also work.

Don't forget to add your feed to FeedBurner then, you will get a lot of benefits there.
    Thanks

If I found an interesting news site but can't find *.rss.php How can I create it?

e.g.
    http://www.ft.com/world/asiapacific/china/finance

How to search the news sites with *rss.php file available? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Could you please let me know what is the purpose of doing it? Do you want to read the sites without RSS in your RSS reader or have a RSS on your own site?

Could you please let me know what is the purpose of doing it? Do you want to read the sites without RSS in your RSS reader or have a RSS on your own site?
    I want to link to the sites w/o RSS feed to my site allowing visitors reading online news. I have no problem to integrate sites providing RSS feed to my sites. Visitors can read those sites w/o problem.

satimis

I suppose that you should get a custom programming work. It's impossible to have an universal service for all sites.

I suppose that you should get a custom programming work. It's impossible to have an universal service for all sites.
    I think such script is available on Internet including building RSS for my own site. I have only about one week experience on this field. I found the PHP parser and modified it to work on my server. I'm not a programmer. I work on the server side. I have experience building servers, building my own Linux/Unix OS from components, networking and security. All those knowhow are of no use to me in venturing this field. I have been googling hard finding a collection of info. I'll digest them in anticipation to find my answer. There are many useful scripts on Open Source available for me to explore.

Anyway thanks for your response. I'm now starting to learn PHP. I went through some online tutorials. It is not too hard to learn. But experience is very important which I need time to accumulate.

B.R.
    satimis

Sure, I meant that you won't find a service working with various sites that you need. There is one way to a custom solution.

Good luck!

Sure, I meant that you won't find a service working with various sites that you need. There is one way to a custom solution.
    Hi beow,

After googling a while I found my solution. To create RSS/XML feed is not a problem making use of 3rd party software. There are tons of this software available on Internet, free to use, online/download. The trick finding a solution is to search on correct criteria. Feed writer/burner is the word used on searching.

Anyway I want to go the hard way. I expect learning to write the script rather than using 3rd party software clicking around on screen with mouse and knowing nothing finally. I won't repeat the same mistake which I did >10 years ago while running Windows.

I trust I can find what I need finally.

B.R.
    satimis

Hi, satimis

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    After googling a while I found my solution. To create RSS/XML feed is not a problem making use of 3rd party software. There are tons of this software available on Internet, free to use, online/download. The trick finding a solution is to search on correct criteria. Feed writer/burner is the word used on searching.
    I know, but I never seen anything universal just because it's impossible to develop. You can find a lot of "manual feed writers" but as I properly understand you need it automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Anyway I want to go the hard way. I expect learning to write the script rather than using 3rd party software clicking around on screen with mouse and knowing nothing finally. I won't repeat the same mistake which I did >10 years ago while running Windows.
    LOL All the best, satimis!