Need Dedicated Server suggestion and advice.

Hello guys and gals,

I'm new here and I'm ashamed that I wasn't visiting this forum before..

I have a huge problem and need your help..

I am running a web site called Wincert.net which, and it consists of two components; Joomla v1.0.14 and IPB Forum v2.3.4. which were bridged with BBPixel (bbpixel.com) plugin so one DB for user accounts can be used.
    I have recently changed my hosting provider since I had strange problems while my site was located on the last hosting provider (msfnhosting.com).

WinCert.net had about 5000-8000 daily visitors and about 40 - 120K pages/month. Everything was running smootly until one day when pages jumped to 1,7 Million for one day. Because of that my site took most of server resources (mostly processor) and server crashed.

After that I've removed most of IPB forum customizations I had, ajax and jscripts (like shoutbox), which solved the problem, at least it looked like the problem was solved.

The site was running smootly as before without any issues for more than a month, until one day when the same thing happened again. Server crashed again and my site was guilty as usual.

I've decided to move to another hosting and while moving I've decided not to merge Joomla and IPB again because that could be the potential risk and root to my problems, also I have installed fresh installation of latest Joomla v1.5.1 and IPB forum v2.3.4 (both latest versions) on the new server.
    So, this time I started fresh with Joomla and the forum and I have only imported the DB for the forum.

The site was running very smootly for almost a month (without joomla, joomla was started a week ago), until yesterday when WinCert.net took 34% of the proccessor time and my site gets blocked again.

I'm investigating with my friend who suspects that I was hacked. Yesterday I asked my current shared hosting provider for help since we suspect for a hack and I got this answer:

wincert.net needs to be moved, it is not his hacker traffic it is the forum which needs a dedicated server. If you want the back up please reply as account has been suspended again as you are not moving the domain. This server without any doubt needs a dedicated server!

So, can please anyone help me with this issue, what to do, where to go? I can't afford expensive dedicated hosting since I earn less than 100$/month and as usual I'd have to pay all invoices by myself.

What would be your budget? maybe a semi-dedicated server could do the trick.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

How about a VPS? That would possibly cover your needs and be a whole lot cheaper than a full dedicated server.

Also, is the site not making you any money? If not, it could - and then you can put that money to improving the server/service.

Don't forget, that for a site with those kinds of stats, you should be looking for a decent server/vps anyway.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

I'm earning aroung 50-100$ monthly, but I'm willing also to finance it myself if that won't be enough to cover hosting expenses.

So what do you guys recommend, would semi-dedicated or VPS be sufficient for this stats?
    Also what is the difference between semi-dedicated and Virtual Private Server? Both servers have number of other clients on it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nimatejic View Post
    I'm earning aroung 50-100$ monthly, but I'm willing also to finance it myself if that won't be enough to cover hosting expenses.

So what do you guys recommend, would semi-dedicated or VPS be sufficient for this stats?
    Also what is the difference between semi-dedicated and Virtual Private Server? Both servers have number of other clients on it, right?
    A Semi-dedicated is limited in certain tweaks which are server wide, but other as that it is handled like a shared-hosting environment, in such a way you do not have to have any technical knowledge.

A VPS (if not fully managed) is more adjustable if it comes to server changes, but does need the customer to have quite some technical knowledge. Also if its managed a VPS may not be updated pro-actively but only on customer requests (depending on hosting company).

The amount of users on a Semi-Dedicated or VPS can differ from company to company in my view there would be less users on a semi-dedicated as on a VPS.

Hope this helps
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I would recommend you to get low cost dedicated server but I think you'd use VPS as well. I see your budget is not high so it is better to start with good VPS. O think you can find one in offers section.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good hosting company with semi-dedicated or VPS servers? I was browsing the web and found out about iweb8.com. Any experiences with them, anybody?

I work as systems admnistrator on Windows Systems and I don't know much about Linux or how to manage server on Linux.

Without the proper knowledge I may have difficulties in VPS setup so semi-dedicated could be a better choice at this point.

I was on the live chat with one of the support techicians on iweb8.com and he recommended me a dedicated server with core duo processor and 1 Gig of RAM, which could cost me, along with CPanel 120$/month. I'd like to pass cheaper if possible.

It's also good to mention that most of my users are from USA or Canada so it is preferable that hosting server is located in USA.

If you have such large number of visitors, you could easily get lots of $$ to pay for a very good dedicated server, why let that huge visitors amounts get lost as site is down?
    Let's talk custom servers and reseller plans

He could, but he obviously does not have the time now to implement some ads to increase his revenue, since he needs a solution fast in order to bring his site back online. I would also recommend a good VPS instead of a low-end dedicated server.

Yes, I'll think about ads later, now I have to choose the good server to move on to. Currently I'm waiting DNS propagation to finish so I can put the site back online. My site is now hosted on another shared hosting server temporarily until I find and prepare everything to move on another better server.

well, the faster you get a dedi box, the better, even if it is only for 1-2 months so u can have the site up and running, and have time to implement ads and banners. then with the money earned, you can easily afford any dedi provider's fees and have a reliable and robust server online.

Let us know how u are doing and if you need help. We are all here to help any WHT user in need of advise and suggestions...or at least a shoulder to cry on.

Ok, thanks for your advices, but I now need recommendations of good dedicated, semi-dedicated VPS companies from you guys...
    Cheers!

Anyone, please I need recommendations..

steadfast.net has good reputation
    I have used them for years

you will not get a direct or indirect recommendation here because of the TOS. No member will mess with his/her reputation here to boast, so your best choice is to select providers and do a search here to see how many pro and cons they have from users.

@BluewaveHosted
    Fair enough

I just got an offer from iweb key account manager and I must admit that clearance package looks very good..

The solution what my collegue offer you is a good deal, at only $99USD, you will have:

Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    1Gb RAM
    160GB HD
    1500GB Traffic
    Level 1 Management
    Remote Reboot
    Cpanel= $20USD

If you look for cheaper plan, I have this clearance package at only $79USD, and free setup

Intel P4 3Ghz,
    1GB RAM,
    80GB IDE
    1500GB Traffic
    Level 1 Management
    Remote Reboot

Clearance servers are in limited time and quantities! Let me know if this can suit your needs ASAP!

I respect the TOS, but if anyone can give me advice on this or something else, please add me to MSN. Address is in my profile.

Thank you all for your kind help.